News Star War's Galaxy's Edge dedication ceremony to be live streamed May 29

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Billie Dee is 82 so he’s getting around ok.
Agreed. I stated that he needed some assistance so that people could cut him some slack for not jumping up and down the stage during his speech.

I guess in our memories as fans (mine included), they will forever stay as we first saw them in the Star Wars OT.
I wasn't criticizing, on the contrary, it's great to see him in such good shape :)

lifeisgoodboy

No, it's for a biographical film on Jim Henson. The great thing about the picture for him is that there won't be any strings attached!
Are you sure? He said on the today show

It s right after when he talks about the secret life of pets.

Last edited:

TP2000

Interesting they didn’t have any of the new cast come out.

Yes. Maybe they are saving the new cast for the Florida ceremony?

But I found it even more interesting that Bob Chapek was nowhere to be seen. For the Cars Land grand opening, Iger did the intro and then got off the stage as Tom Staggs and John Lasseter did the bulk of the show and introduced the celebs and cut the ribbon.

I thought hosts they used were a bit cringe worthy.

Yes, they were a tad overboard. And I just wanted to reach through the screen and straighten the one guys name badge. The two hosts in Florida were even geekier, and those silly hard hat outfits didn't help.

But overall, it was a nice ceremony with some fun and genuinely touching moments.

disney.jpg

drod1985

I stand corrected on Hamill's entrance tonight, but disagree about the relationship between the Throne Room March and the Imperial March. The throne room scene began with a fanfare followed by a martial setting of Luke's theme--the same theme that played during Luke's double sunset scene in ANH--my favorite cue of John Williams' scores for the SW canon. The Tatooine sunset and Yavin throne room are my two favorite musical cues from ANH and I've listened to them over and over. Incidentally, at this year's Oscars for the In Memoriam segment, the LA Philharmonic played my favorite Williams cue from the original Superman--his departure from his mother and Smallville in the cornfield (very similar in feel to Luke's theme).

We’re straying off topic, but I didn’t say anything about the Yavin Throne Room March relating to the Imperial March. I just said they didn’t use the Imperial March - they used the Yavin Throne Room March which is based on the Force theme.

For clarity, the Binary Sunset cue is the Force theme. That is what the Yavin Throne Room March is based on after the fanfare you referenced.

Williams identifies Luke’s theme as one in the same with the main Star Wars theme. Example: it’s played the first time we see Luke (while ain’t Beru calls for him before the purchase of the droids).

It seems like we both have an appreciation of Williams’ Star Wars score. I highly recommend checking out David W. Collins’ podcast, The Soundtrack Show. He’s done several episodes diving into the scores of ANH and ESB. Here’s a link to the first ANH episode. I learned a ton from this as David is a huge Star Wars fan and an extremely gifted musician. He also sources tons of interviews with Williams and Lucas to give more depth to the analysis. He did a similar series on another podcast years ago, but this is much more enjoyable.

To bring it back on topic - Williams’ Batuu theme is great. Weren’t there rumors of Michael Giachinno collaborating on additional music for the land, similar to how they worked together for Star Tours?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
VIDEO - George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Billy Dee Williams appear at the grand opening of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
1. I’m glad George was there...good for them
2. Did ford accept a check or was it cash?
3. Did bob hand hamill a handwritten apology?
4. Where’s Kennedy? “Visionary leader”? Marshall’s still guarding her house?

Now that’s out of the way...any operational updates are appreciated...ops is gonna be everything here

Good hunting

danlb_2000

Premium Member
VIDEO - George Lucas, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill and Billy Dee Williams appear at the grand opening of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland

I all five of them did a ride on the Smugglers Run, imagine how much they could have charged for that 6th seat!

Phroobar

Too bad Anthony Daniels wasn't there. Dave Prowse (Darth Vader) could have rounded out the surviving cast but I don't think George likes him very much anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom