News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

mickEblu

So the flight you are referring to is just the MF ride?

You misleading MF! ;)

lol is that what he was referring to. I don't think he is. The thought of physically "flying" around a star destroyer is much more exciting than a space flight simulator.

No Name

lol is that what he was referring to. I don't think he is. The thought of physically "flying" around a star destroyer is much more exciting than a space flight simulator.

Well there is a MF parked on the model, but there are other ships too, so I don't know.

It's not a new rumor, Micechat claimed a while back that you'd be getting out of your vehicle and reboarding "several times" during the ride, but some trustworthy people on this site put it down. I don't know who's right. I'm hoping the former. Not because I like Micechat but because that would be innovative.

mickEblu

Well there is a MF parked on the model, but there are other ships too, so I don't know.

It's not a new rumor, Micechat claimed a while back that you'd be getting out of your vehicle and reboarding "several times" during the ride, but some trustworthy people on this site put it down. I don't know who's right. I'm hoping the former. Not because I like Micechat but because that would be innovative.

Oh that's right I remember that now. It sounds very fresh. It all comes down to execution though. Getting off a ride vehicle onto an omnimover and onto another ride vehicle could kind of take you of the immersion.

Last edited:

britain

I think we will be taking a flight simulator from the ground (queue) up to the star destroyer where we get off and then get in line for the real real ride.

It could be something else, but this here is my nominee for the stretching roo.. er... shuttle that will take us up to the Star Destroyer.

upload_2017-11-4_20-34-55.png

mickEblu

I think we will be taking a flight simulator from the ground (queue) up to the star destroyer where we get off and then get in line for the real real ride.

I like where you re going with this but then we re not really flying in the star destroyer when we get there and get on the new vehicle.

britain

I like where you re going with this but then we re not really flying in the star destroyer when we get there and get on the new vehicle.

Well, we’ll have to get back down to Galaxy’s Edge somehow. Either we board another shuttle to get back down at the end of the trackless adventure, or maybe the whole Star Destroyer crashes and we ride down with it. Heck, that might be what that large curved chunk of ship might be: An exit gift shop.

No Name

Micechat also said that both rides will have capacities of under 1,500 an hour, which is not true. Bird Bird maybe so, but Alcatraz is definitely higher. So point is, they could be off.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Well, we’ll have to get back down to Galaxy’s Edge somehow. Either we board another shuttle to get back down at the end of the trackless adventure, or maybe the whole Star Destroyer crashes and we ride down with it. Heck, that might be what that large curved chunk of ship might be: An exit gift shop.

This certainly makes sense of the "numerous boarding/ deboarding" comment on MC. My wish would be for their to be some sort of physical sensation of flying when we re in the star destroyer and not just getting there and back with a simulator. Either way, this really does sound like they re throwing everything AND the kitchen sink at this and I'm excited.

captainmoch

It's most likely going to be like the elevator for the Escape from Gringotts queue. Except instead of going deep underground, you're going up into space.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Yes, don't forget about that basement and cylinder buried in that building. Those are important!

I'm still saying expect more than a stretching room, but not a Star Tours simulator pre-show by any means.

Presumably whatever the queue pre-show is only needs a slightly more generous capacity than the main attraction to not be an operational issue.

TP2000

Wow. 2 different ride vehicles on one attraction. That's definitely a first.

Actually, it's not. The Haunted Mansion did that first in 1969; Stretching Room elevator leading to Doom Buggy omnimover. There's also Hydrolators leading to Sea Pods in The Living Seas back in 1986, and the elevators that take you deep into the earth (but actually take you upstairs) that lead to the drill mobiles on Journey To The Center Of The Earth in Tokyo DisneySea from 2001.

But it will still be great in Star Wars Land, to be sure.

Speaking of greatness, our favorite lady blogger has yet another video this weekend.

mickEblu

Actually, it's not. The Haunted Mansion did that first in 1969; Stretching Room elevator leading to Doom Buggy omnimover. There's also Hydrolators leading to Sea Pods in The Living Seas back in 1986, and the elevators that take you deep into the earth (but actually take you upstairs) that lead to the drill mobiles on Journey To The Center Of The Earth in Tokyo DisneySea from 2001.

But it will still be great in Star Wars Land, to be sure.

Speaking of greatness, our favorite lady blogger has yet another video this weekend.

Ok I guess if we use a wider definition of ride vehicle the Haunted Mansion elevator should count. Shows you how genius HM is. Its so well done we don't know where the queue ends and where the ride starts. Not sure about your other two examples as I've never been. When I used the word ride vehicle in my post I was using it in more of a traditional sense. As in a vehicle where a rider sits in a seat and is restrained somehow. If I'm not mistaken, that would be a first.

spacemt354

Chili's
How bad is 1500? For comparison what is POTC/ HM? 3000 per hour?

Ok I guess if we use a wider definition of ride vehicle the Haunted Mansion elevator should count. Shows you how genius HM is. Its so well done we don't know where the queue ends and where the ride starts. Not sure about your other two examples as I've never been. When I used the word ride vehicle in my post I was using it in more of a traditional sense. As in a vehicle where a rider sits in a seat and is restrained somehow. If I'm not mistaken, that would be a first.
This is for WDW but for comparison sake to a new attraction, 1,500 guests per hour is around the capacity of Flight of Passage.
https://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/theoreticaloperational-hourly-ride-capacity-at-wdw/

Pirates and HM are around 3,000 but I would assume it varies for DL given the different ride lengths and number of vehicles on ride.

mickEblu

This is for WDW but for comparison sake to a new attraction, 1,500 guests per hour is around the capacity of Flight of Passage.
https://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/theoreticaloperational-hourly-ride-capacity-at-wdw/

Pirates and HM are around 3,000 but I would assume it varies for DL given the different ride lengths and number of vehicles on ride.

Haha thanks I was going to post that question yesterday but then looked it up myself and forgot to delete it. Thanks though. I didn't know that FOP was only 1500 riders per hour. How long has the average wait time been?

spacemt354

Chili's
Haha thanks I was going to post that question yesterday but then looked it up myself and forgot to delete it. Thanks though. I didn't know that FOP was only 1500 riders per hour. How long has the average wait time been?
Honestly, I didn't know that either haha -- though that explains the average 120-150 minute waits when we were there in July/August.

Edit: If you went at the absolute end of the Extra Magic Hours (which ran all summer for Pandora) it was around a 50-60 min wait...which is what we did. But any other time, you're waiting 2 hours.

ChiGuy4Now

My take on this since construction started is that the entirety of the queue will take place at Galaxy's Edge. You will then board a Star Tours-like simulator RV that will transport you to space. You will disembark the simulator RV in the large hanger space and then be forced to board the First Order Fleet Transport by Stormtroopers and sent deeper into the ship for the majority of the attraction.

At some point in the queue, guests will be divided into groups able to fit on the simulator RV, which will then separate into three (?) smaller groups for the trackless RVs. The Star Tours-like RVs would be on a turntable to keep the queue moving, with riders riding from the 9 o'clock position to the 12 o'clock position counter-clockwise. This keeps things moving swiftly, and would eliminate the need for a second queue after the first RV...keeps the storytelling from slowing down and pulses guests into the larger hanger space to board the second RV.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 12.52.18 PM.png

Last edited:

Mike S

My take on this since construction started is that the entirety of the queue will take place at Galaxy's Edge. You will then board a Star Tours-like simulator RV that will transport you to space. You will disembark the simulator RV in the large hanger space and then be forced to board the First Order Fleet Transport by Stormtroopers and sent deeper into the ship for the majority of the attraction.

At some point in the queue, guests will be divided into groups able to fit on the simulator RV, which will then separate into three (?) smaller groups for the trackless RVs. The Star Tours-like RVs would be on a turntable to keep the queue moving, with riders riding from the 9 o'clock position to the 12 o'clock position counter-clockwise. This keeps things moving swiftly, and would eliminate the need for a second queue after the first RV...keeps the storytelling from slowing down and pulses guests into the larger hanger space to board the second RV.

View attachment 241796
Is this confirmed?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom