News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Pirate665

I went and did the experience. I was not impressed. The room felt cheap, looked nice but everything felt cheap. I don't drink and I'm allergic to chocolate. That immediately eliminated a lot for me. I had no dessert the entire time. They never accommodated. I noticed that a lot of people were drinking... A lot. Dealing with a very drunk crowd is not something I am a fan of.

When they originally announced this, I was only slightly tempted because I was like, "well, I might not be able to go Imperial, but I guess I could do first order..." And, I wound up being bored out of my mind. Everything, everything for that side is pretty much on your phone, aside from the few (very few) tasks you could do. I didn't want any of the force related stuff. A Jedi I am not. I wanted something more than a letter at the end for a better close out for that side. And, once Rey came into the building I knew it was the end of the experience for me. I stuck out the to end of the finale for my friend so she'd have fun, but once it was done, I went back to my room done with it all, up and out by 4 so I could go sleep in my own bed. Even my friend said that she was mostly bored with the activities but was happy to have gone with me.

That said, I think a retheme to the OT or even Mando, the spaces made to feel more like Star Wars (the worn universe look), and rotating storylines that changed (like 3 or 4 they picked to tell) it might be able to be tried again. But, it will probably be abandoned for a while and then become a budget hotel. It shouldn't have surprised anyone that this failed.

To put it in their own words it wasn't "timeless, family, or Disney" it was just another disappointing cash grab.

MandaM

I don't even think Kennedy was necessarily wrong on that last bit, she just screwed up the movies because she's (they) are trying to push an agenda instead of making great movies telling great stories. It is, and will ultimately be, the downfall of Disney.
I agree with much of what you wrote, but what agenda is Star Wars pushing?

Mickey's Pal

And where is Ann Morrow today, I wonder? Did she go into the office today, or is she taking a few Comp Days into the weekend?

1111zp_0388kp11.jpg
I Imagine her fate was similar to this but only on that generic 90's sci-fi bridge they built that they tried to pass off as Star Wars.

tumblr_ln3wg3lJRX1qgg5rbo1_500.gif

Mickey's Pal

It it weren't for Chapek's moves and Iger having to clean up the mess, it would've succeeded and they could've kept it. It was on its way to working. But because of the political mess added to it from 2020 onward, recovery conditions didn't materialize that would've kept it afloat.

It needed time to work. Given another 5 years, it would've. But they had to shore up the position now.
keep-telling-yourself-that-darling-captain-jack-sparrow.gif

DLEXP

My issue with it was that right after the thing opened we immediately had FULL VIDEO everywhere of the finale.

The finale NEVER CHANGED…even if you took different “paths” to get there the show was fixed and it was the show no matter which “side” you chose.

Why would I spend $6k and invest time and energy into the story when I already knew how everything would end??

Bleed0range

As a lifelong Star Wars fan who can appreciate even the terrible sequel trilogy and enjoy GE…

• First mistake was making it a cruise ship. Possibly the lamest idea. Nothing about the interiors feels overtly recognizable as “Star Wars,” like say a First Order ship is basically an Imperial one. There’s no film to reference the thing. Same problem with Batuu.

• Even so, I was curious and willing to try it out until I saw the price of it all was wayyyy outside of what I would pay for something like this.

• Although I like cosplay and role playing I cannot convince many people to do this with me, especially considering the price.

• Once I saw YouTube vloggers do it I didn’t need to because they showed me everything anyway and it’s the same basic thing every time.

• The thing looks lame compared to the concept art, value engineered I guess. It looks small and unimpressive. Especially the windows in the rooms.

• After I found out a lot of this could have been a table service restaurant in GE that they canceled in favor of locking it behind this ridiculously priced paywall I felt somewhat bitter about it.

• And of course, hardly any recognizable characters or droids or anything like that on board.
I’m happy to see it fail because the disconnect of what this is for an IP as rich as Star Wars and a fan base as rabid with as much disposable income as they have is appalling and pathetic, tbh. Tear it down and give me my table service restaurant you canceled.

Fido Chuckwagon

"Walt Disney World's Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser will make its final voyage this fall.

The first-of-its-kind immersive experience debuted in Spring 2022 with a starting price of $4,800 for two guests and just under $6,000 for four guests sharing a cabin for the all-inclusive two night adventure.

“Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser is one of our most creative projects ever and has been praised by our guests and recognized for setting a new bar for innovation and immersive entertainment. This premium, boutique experience gave us the opportunity to try new things on a smaller scale of 100 rooms, and as we prepare for its final voyage, we will take what we’ve learned to create future experiences that can reach more of our guests and fans," a Walt Disney World spokesperson said in a statement to USA TODAY.

The final voyage will be September 28 through 30. In coming days, Disney will contact guests who had reservations booked for later dates about rescheduling or canceling their plans.

In the meantime, new reservation bookings will be paused until May 26."

Hopefully “what they learned” was that you can’t charge $6,000 for a 2 night experience and expect it to be successful. This closing comes as a surprise to literally nobody except maybe. Bob Chapek.

Fido Chuckwagon

Well, now they can no longer use the excuse of "because of the Starcruiser" not to put things into the DHS version of Galaxy's edge... I wonder what excuse they will use next?

I don't think it was the lack of OT stuff - really, I know a ton of people who wanted to go to this - myself included - but once they saw the pricetag they laughed and forgot about it...

I'd love to see them repurpose some of the stuff here / actors / etc. into more entertainment at Galaxy's Edge.
Oh, it’s definitely the price. It’s also not that “people couldn’t afford it.” I could afford it and I would have gone at a reasonable price point because it does look interesting. However I’m not stupid enough to pay $5,000 for two freaking nights. That is simply ludicrous, there are so many better things I could do with $5,000, including the all-in cost of a weeklong Disney trip at a deluxe hotel.

durangojim

Oh, it’s definitely the price. It’s also not that “people couldn’t afford it.” I could afford it and I would have gone at a reasonable price point because it does look interesting. However I’m not stupid enough to pay $5,000 for two freaking nights. That is simply ludicrous, there are so many better things I could do with $5,000, including the all-in cost of a weeklong Disney trip at a deluxe hotel.
This is absolutely correct! I wanted to want to go. If you look back at my post from years ago, I was willing to spend 10,000 on it but once I saw it I realized it was not for me or my family. Heck even a value resort was Star Wars steaming Would’ve been way more popular than this. Think of all they could’ve accomplished if they had just done that. Oversized tie fighters ex wings other ships just like they have at some of the other values. The food court could’ve been death star themed you could’ve had Matt the technician walking around if you wanted. Hubris strikes again.

donaldtoo

Because far too many VP's and SVP's and EVP's in both the Parks groups and the WDI group have absolutely no idea who their actual customer is, how those customers use their product, or what those customers want out of their product.

Sure, evil Bob Chapek was a charmless dolt who came off like the smarmy, lying sales manager of a Hyundai dealership, but it's not all his fault. There's an entire battalion of senior execs in Glendale, Burbank, Anaheim and Orlando who are equally out of touch and clueless about their own core products and core customers.

We've been discussing this as a broad theme over in the Disneyland forum for several years now. This is just the latest example that it happens in Florida too.

The people running Disney's theme park division lately are, for the most part, totally clueless and inept.

I couldn't agree more.

There was so much ego involved here, no one had the guts or brains to say "Uh, guys? I'm not so sure about this..."

Yea, ‘cause for $5,000 I want to do some really bad country line dancing on my 2-night Star Wars fantasy getaway…!!!!! :hilarious:

Joel

I’m sure they did plenty of marketing research on this…? How did they get it so wrong…?!
I'm pretty confident there was no research that said this was the experience people wanted. Some people love to make the "Disney has the data and you don't" pseudo-religious argument in defense of blatantly questionable (at best) decision-making, but I think we have more than enough recent examples to prove that the company is not merely "following the data" and trying to give its customers what they want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom