News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

FettFan

Disney Star Wars is Lucas Star Wars. Lucas Star Wars is Disney Star Wars. They are one and the same. Get over it.

The Office Lie GIF

Lucas approached Disney with a sequel story outline, but his was rejected after the purchase was complete.

FettFan

Is it possible Star Wars just isn't that popular?

Well, nothing remains popular once the corporate overlords turn it into a cash cow/message machine.

Case in point: Jurassic World surprised everyone in 2015 by breaking the $1B mark, especially when it came after over a decade since the lackluster JP3. We were excited to see where this new trilogy would go.

But by the time JW Dominion rolled around, we got a formerly great villain (read Crichton’s books!) turned into a socially awkward Zuckerburg/Bezos/Cook hybrid, Jeff Goldblum acting more like a YouTube parody of Jeff Goldblum, and hackneyed ecological finger-wagging about the dangers of big agribusiness.
Instead of dinosaurs, the main conflict stems from controlling GMO crops.

The Jurassic franchise is now damaged, and Universal is stuck wondering where to go from here.

yensidtlaw1969

To me, this always had what I considered the "Disney Institute issue." I'm spending thousands of dollars to vacation at WDW. You want me to spend even more money, and it's going to cut into my regular WDW vacation? I don't think so. Love to; can't.
Mildly related, I feel very much this way about Disney California Adventure . . . You're telling me I just spent all that time and money to fly across the country to visit my favorite place, and you think I'm gonna take a hundred bucks that could otherwise get me another day at the best theme park in the country, if not the world, and choose instead to spend it on entry to the inconsistent, slapdash, erratic mess you built in the parking lot?

Generally people do have only so much vacation time, and every diversion comes at the expense of time and money that could have been spent at another. It feels like sometimes they forget their new projects have also to compete with the appeal of their older ones.

MagicHappens1971

Oh it was warranted. Line dancing in Star Wars and no Luke, Han, Leia, R2, 3P0, Vader. A generic cafeteria as the main dinning room. Yeah...it was soo warranted.
The 4-minute line dance lesson has been the center of attention of the Starcruiser threads for weeks. It's ridiculous. The main dining room looked pretty nice at night for dinner service.

Yeah, Luke, Han and Leia would've been great, but the experience should be able to stand on it's own merits.

Mickey's Pal

The 4-minute line dance lesson has been the center of attention of the Starcruiser threads for weeks. It's ridiculous. The main dining room looked pretty nice at night for dinner service.

Yeah, Luke, Han and Leia would've been great, but the experience should be able to stand on it's own merits.
DISNEY'S SEQUEL TRILOGY and everything associated with from the movies to toys to books to Galaxy's Edge to this stupid hotel have not once been able to stand on its own. IT was doomed the moment they put all their eggs into that basket instead of including ACTUAL STAR WARS in this idea and not making it a simple Star Wars themed hotel with the actual characters people know and have loved for decades in it.

Lilofan

Suggestions for the soon to be closed to guests Star Wars Hotel

An official suggested a prison be built near Disney . To save money just house the inmates in the hotel. It already contains bunk beds similar to Sing Sing.

College Program or low income housing for cast. No more issues with the commute to work. Even hungover from the night before , roll out of bed, walk to work location

If a CM does a quick turnaround and has to be back at work the next morning , just take a quick nap in the SW hotel.

Sharon&Susan

I guarantee Uni was watching this whole thing thinking about potter.

Question is…. Does this kill any potential idea, or do they learn from these mistakes and improve on the idea….
One thing I think Universal would get right that this didn't would be having a grand enough setting to justify the price (having it take place in Hogwarts presumably). The interior of the Starcruiser was neither amazing enough to be impressive or Star Wars-y enough to make people book trips for the nostalgia factor.

Making it themed to a civilian space cruise ship, instead of something like an Imperial battle station or a Jedi Temple, was a mistake.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

I’m now debating whether to try and squeeze this in our August trip. I’ll look from the 26th and see what they have available.

I’ll just rent some DVC points to pay for it

Just slept on this and yeah… I’d rather spend the same on a 7 night Alaskan cruise.

I think what it is, is that where I am just a big Star Wars fan, I want to experience as much Star Wars as possible and while this concept was unique, Disneys arrogance to put it b being such an expensive paywall should send a clear message.

They’re starting to ‘get’ Star Wars with Mandlorian but we aren’t there yet and there too much mediocre on the way

TP2000

I’m sure they did plenty of marketing research on this…? How did they get it so wrong…?!

Because far too many VP's and SVP's and EVP's in both the Parks groups and the WDI group have absolutely no idea who their actual customer is, how those customers use their product, or what those customers want out of their product.

Sure, evil Bob Chapek was a charmless dolt who came off like the smarmy, lying sales manager of a Hyundai dealership, but it's not all his fault. There's an entire battalion of senior execs in Glendale, Burbank, Anaheim and Orlando who are equally out of touch and clueless about their own core products and core customers.

We've been discussing this as a broad theme over in the Disneyland forum for several years now. This is just the latest example that it happens in Florida too.

The people running Disney's theme park division lately are, for the most part, totally clueless and inept.

This feels like one of those projects where the writing was on the wall, but so much money, time and ego were invested that nobody was willing to admit they might be wrong and pull the plug before launch.

I couldn't agree more.

There was so much ego involved here, no one had the guts or brains to say "Uh, guys? I'm not so sure about this..."

DWparadise

Walk into the Boardwalk lobby and there are 8-10 Cast Members stationed there.

Dump the more exotic aspects of this, turn it into a regular hotel themed for Star Wars, use the dining hall as an ADR experience, and run the shuttle to Galaxy’s Edge.

Maybe turn some of the space into retail.

The rooms are small, not something you want to stay in for an entire vacation. But at the right price, this will fill up, with many Guests wanting to try the experience and willing to do a split stay to try it.

No pool or extensive grounds to maintain. Heck, no windows to clean. ;) Disney has already sunk the cost into the building and furnishings. Now it’s just left with a small structure to maintain. There’s got to be a way to get opex way down.

The problem is this was a $2500 per night experience. Remove all the expensive extras (e.g. DHS tickets, GE LL access, Cast Member intensive experiences, etc.) and I think there’s a way to turn this into a nice little experience that most WDW Guests would like to do and can afford.
I should think so, but an expert says Disney will just bolt the doors shut and let the building rot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom