News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This thing would’ve been full year round if it had a recreation of Mos Eisley Cantina as the dining room and performers in proper costume.
The look/feel of empire and Jedi was what left the decades long imprint on pop culture…but I get your point.

They do this all wrong. The lands are wrong too…but they’re very well built so you can at least get some enjoyment out of the aesthetics even with bad IP…

…this thing is literally a dumpster. Now it can be used as such

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Some of 2021 and all of 2022 were revenge vacation years post Covid lockdowns. Have you seen how crowded the parks were? If these heavy demand times weren’t enough to support it, I don’t think there is anything the Iger/Chapek/Iger tag team could have done to make it profitable. But I admire your optimism towards Iger and hope I’m dead wrong.
…sarcasm alert

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I did. Three times. And I was in the group approved to charter it for a cosplaying adults only that would've been in January 2024. Not a lot of people got to experience this, but those of us who did loved it. We met some amazing people on board who have become friends in real life. Yes the marketing was terrible, yes the price point was out of reach, but the experience was wonderful each time.
And yet…it bombed and Disney is still AWFUL at Star Wars…

…next time buy a jetski. More fun 🛟

Fordlover

I did. Three times. And I was in the group approved to charter it for a cosplaying adults only that would've been in January 2024. Not a lot of people got to experience this, but those of us who did loved it. We met some amazing people on board who have become friends in real life. Yes the marketing was terrible, yes the price point was out of reach, but the experience was wonderful each time.
Now if only there were tens of thousands of you that filled demand for ’cruises’ for the entire open booking window. But alas, evidently there ain’t.

Mike S

The look/feel of empire and Jedi was what left the decades long imprint on pop culture…but I get your point.

They do this all wrong. The lands are wrong too…but they’re very well built so you can at least get some enjoyment out of the aesthetics even with bad IP…

…this thing is literally a dumpster. Now it can be used as such
Having just been last weekend both rides are still fun experiences even with their best AAs down *sigh*. The land is fine enough even if it’s based on the Sequels but if this hotel was going to cost this much they needed to cast as wide a net as possible on who to attract to stay and at the end of the day the OT is what pretty much every single Star Wars fan agrees on is “good.” Imagine a room that made you believe you were in Cloud City.

MatheusPG

From the beginning I was thought that this moment was inevitable, because not only the price was really high, but also the experiences within the resort were awful, I remember seeing the first videos that came out and being shocked about how nothing seemed of value and something that I would like to do, even the PS4/PS5 Jedi Fallen Order game is more immersive and fun than this was...

dreamfinder912

Now if only there were tens of thousands of you that filled demand for ’cruises’ for the entire open booking window. But alas, evidently there ain’t.
You're right there weren't enough of us. But I still see that as a marketing issue. Before the first cruises in March 2022 my spouse and I were cooking up ways to make fun for ourselves, assuming the performers would only really interact with kids. And the marketing, promotional materials, and concept art all pointed that way. We were shocked with how spectacular it was. Before the end of the first day we'd already decided the dates for our second go-round. It shouldn't ever have been allowed to exist in anyone's mind as a hotel. It isn't. It's a 45 hour LARP-y fever dream. I wouldn't pay 6k for a hotel with no spa or kid free areas, and I don't blame people for their avoidance. Most people genuinely didnt know what this really was. That's 100% Disney's doing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Having just been last weekend both rides are still fun experiences even with their best AAs down *sigh*. The land is fine enough even if it’s based on the Sequels but if this hotel was going to cost this much they needed to cast as wide a net as possible on who to attract to stay and at the end of the day the OT is what pretty much every single Star Wars fan agrees on is “good.” Imagine a room that made you believe you were in Cloud City.
Both the rides are already dated…I know the Pearl clutchers will be aghast as they lightning lane…but it’s true. Believe me now or in a year or two when a reskin becomes a necessity…

It’s very well built - the land - but suffers the same problem as all Iger minilands…not enough beef and lacks repeat appeal.

I always thought they should have had a planet “spaceport”…and then something a la hogwarts that takes to an adjacent or upper level “Star cruiser/star destroyer” as well…covers the IP nicely

And I bet that was never possible because of the stupid dumpster hotel? Just a hunch

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You're right there weren't enough of us. But I still see that as a marketing issue. Before the first cruises in March 2022 my spouse and I were cooking up ways to make fun for ourselves, assuming the performers would only really interact with kids. And the marketing, promotional materials, and concept art all pointed that way. We were shocked with how spectacular it was. Before the end of the first day we'd already decided the dates for our second go-round. It shouldn't ever have been allowed to exist in anyone's mind as a hotel. It isn't. It's a 45 hour LARP-y fever dream. I wouldn't pay 6k for a hotel with no spa or kid free areas, and I don't blame people for their avoidance. Most people genuinely didnt know what this really was. That's 100% Disney's doing.
A lot is it’s tied to Disney mishandling Star Wars from day 1 on a fundamental level…

I’ll keep saying it…I’ll be ignored…then it will be “discussed” as reality down the road.

That’s how these things go

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’m surprised it was ever allowed to open. Who is going over these ideas and thought someone was going to pay that much ?
Have you seen the prices for the bungalows over the swamp?

Or disney charging basically $1k/night for a holiday inn room?

Yet they sell out constantly….

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It’s vacation club…and they did that to flood points…knowing they’ll actually be booked by sycophants consumed by their own vanity…

New to 32830??

…as far as the “constantly sell out”…do they? Have they?

dreamfinder912

A lot is it’s tied to Disney mishandling Star Wars from day 1 on a fundamental level…

I’ll keep saying it…I’ll be ignored…then it will be “discussed” as reality down the road.

That’s how these things go
Oh definitely. But then again I'm a big fan of the hyperspace hoopla portion of star wars weekends (may they rest in peace) and I know a good chunk of fans were not thrilled with that type of celebration.

FettFan

Nice try, troll. Disney knows Star Wars inside out and has made incredible additions to the canon that fit hand in glove with what George Lucas accomplished. Kathleen Kennedy deserves to be praised for that, as does Abrams, Johnson, Filoni, Favreau, Rodriguez and everyone that's worked on these incredible visual projects. Times have changed. You didn't understand the saga as well as you think you did, so you come up with excuses rather than admit you were wrong. Cope.

Serious Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Dan Deesnee

Why can't they just make this a separate ticketed, multi-hour experience?

You arrive at galactic star cruiser at 9 am, you board and experienced an adventure for the next 3-4 hours. They can run this 2-3 times daily and charge $175-$250 a ticket just like they do the parties and after hours events.

Trauma

You bring up another point. I can afford to do stupid stuff like starcruiser on a whim.

I never did.

All you had to do was watch the videos about it and you could tell it was a joke.

It’s much easier to find someone to blow 3k a night on a resort room where they can relax with family and friends then to charge them the same to have blue gaya whatever’s singing to them.

It’s just embarrassing.

I wouldn’t go on starcruiser if it was free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom