News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

ChrisFL

Premium Member
And yet even then, it was a value engineered and cheaped out version of the original "luxury cruise ship in space" concept they announced this thing with originally. Yet again, the released concept art at D23 Expo was wildly optimistic and outright dishonest compared to what actually showed up.

That is such a huge part of this failure. They promised a Star Wars Luxury Cruise Ship!, but they gave us a weirdly off-brand and cringey environment that had an uncomfortable similarity to a Star Wars Nite youth group party in a church basement.

crown-of-corellia-dining-room-248-800x533.jpg.webp

Agreed, and that pic makes it look better than many other pics I've seen. The whole thing felt very generic sci-fi with a few Star Wars elements randomly around

TP2000

So I heard from someone who knows … that the true development cost of the Starcruiser was more like $250 million for the building and close to $1 billion for the concept.

Ouch.

My goodness. I assume the concept development costs go back to the weird LARP'ing (sp?) role playing game they built in Disneyland's Frontierland back in 2014? That was obviously the first play tests WDI did for a role playing type concept.

But even then, if the project costs can be traced back to relatively small outlays starting in Fiscal 2014, that price tag for this failure seems almost criminal. Not just idiotic, as the Parks and WDI executives of the past half decade have already proven themselves to be idiots.

This seems... almost criminal. 🤔

And where is Ann Morrow today, I wonder? Did she go into the office today, or is she taking a few Comp Days into the weekend?

1111zp_0388kp11.jpg

So, now can we call this a failure?

I think we're safe now! 🤣

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
He is the poster child for the saying, being nice will take you a long way because his bad investments is what caused all of this but Disney fans acted like they won the power ball when it was announced he was coming back. The pandemic made things worse but they wouldn’t be this bad if he didn’t double down on NBA, ESPN, Fox, & a non profitable business in streaming before it.

I can’t help but feel like he purposely chose someone as unlikeable as Bob C as his replacement so he could take the brunt of all the cuts caused by his overspending, that the pandemic made things impossible to hide then once everything settled down he would come back as the hero and “fix” everything.
You figured it out.

Bob 1 is bad

Bob 2 was setup, hand picked by Bob 1 and should have never been a CEO

Bob 1 comes back and throws Bob 2 under the bus and blames for all

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

He is the poster child for the saying, being nice will take you a long way because his bad investments is what caused all of this but Disney fans acted like they won the power ball when it was announced he was coming back. The pandemic made things worse but they wouldn’t be this bad if he didn’t double down on NBA, ESPN, Fox, & a non profitable business in streaming before it.

I can’t help but feel like he purposely chose someone as unlikeable as Bob C as his replacement so he could take the brunt of all the cuts caused by his overspending, that the pandemic made things impossible to hide then once everything settled down he would come back as the hero and “fix” everything.
🏆

mattpeto

Remember how they turned Universe of Energy into a show building?

At the very least, that’s where they should start: Expand DHS/GE to retrofit Starcuiser and build new attraction using the space. Use the projected revenue from ILL to fund the project.

Some have suggestions they could make the restaurant a Hoop De Doo experience as well.

It’s probably destined to be a DVC, where they will add wings, pools, etc. It can’t stay 100 rooms with bunkbeds.

MagicHappens1971

As someone who doesn’t know much about financials, if they just shutter the building and never use it, they can write it off as a loss, right?

If they repurpose it, can they still do the same?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom