News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Animaniac93-98

That such a person had so much to dislike about this project tells you how far they missed the mark.

Exactly.

Jenny was someone who understood the vibes, the concept, and wanted to actively participate as much as possible. She didn't misunderstand what the Starcruiser was, she was 100% open and willing to give it a fair shot.

She outlines many, many things that went wrong or didn't live up to her expectations, but in the "schedule" section of the video she talks about how it also "broke my body" and made her feel sick (forcing her to leave dinner on the 2nd night and stay in her room for a bit) because of how taxing and overscheduled this "luxury vacation experience" was, even though she didn't do everything possible at every minute. "I really can't imagine doing Starcruiser with little kids, or if you had health problems...you could but you'd have to accept you'd miss a lot things to take breaks or nap" Yikes.

She breaks down the cost and says it came down to $2/person/minute, excluding time to sleep, shower etc. When you're paying that kind of money, not only are your expectations high, but you can't afford to not do things. It's insane.

It's a fascinating, hilarious and extremely well researched video, but also so upsetting to know what she was put through or missed out on after spending $6k and how some things only got resolved because she has a lot of followers on Twitter.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I watched all of it....the last 15 or so minutes of that is amazing as it breaks down all of Disney's greed at their parks really succinctly
I don’t really criticize them for the attempt…or even the price

Disney should be tarred and feathered (and considering how much blowback and loss of EASY revenue they’ve had…they almost have been from a business standpoint) for COMPLETELY misreading a property they spent $4 bil on…

The epitaph on this - until further notice - is that they could have taken a poll in 2012 of 10 fans and learned in an hour of what to do and what not to do with Star Wars…

But managed to pooch it on a spectacular level. It’s stranger than fiction…to be honest.

Terrible management.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I don’t really criticize them for the attempt…or even the price

Disney should be tarred and feathered (and considering how much blowback and loss of EASY revenue they’re had…they almost have been from a business standpoint) for COMPLETELY misreading a property they spent $4 bil on…

The epitaph on this - until further notice - is that they could have taken a poll in 2012 of 10 fans and learned in an hour of what to do and what not to do with Star Wars…

But managed to pooch it on a spectacular level. It’s stranger than fiction…to be honest.

Terrible management.

I agree...the last 15 minutes are just about what Disney has been cutting overall and putting behind a paywall.

She also mentioned something I hadn't thought of, things like streetmosphere etc. being cut because if they're watching that they're not standing in lines and if they're not standing in lines, the wait times don't go up and that convinces less people to buy lightning lanes. (and of course they also don't buy other things either if they're watching streetmosphere, etc.).

I've probably said it before that, while I never experienced the Starcruiser personally, I could have written a book about all of the missteps they made, just by observing videos from others and all of the lead up to its opening.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
It’s pretty clear there was one plan for SWGE. And, at some point, someone got the bright idea to lock a lot of the add ons behind the GS paywall. It’s unfortunate, as a legit restaurant experience and streetmosphere could add a sense of vitality to the land, which is clearly missing it.

What's worse is that Disneyland would have never received anything extra as they weren't even going to get the Starcruiser there (assuming it was actually going to be a worthy product, which it wasn't)

Movielover

I've probably said it before that, while I never experienced the Starcruiser personally, I could have written a book about all of the missteps they made, just by observing videos from others and all of the lead up to its opening.
For me the most shocking aspect of failure once put into perspective was the marketing. Whoever was the marketing director should be fired. Every single commercial and information post for the GS was awful and too vague on the concept, and this is coming from Disney, a company that practically throws a parade every time they open a new drinking fountain.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
For me the most shocking aspect of failure once put into perspective was the marketing. Whoever was the marketing director should be fired. Every single commercial and information post for the GS was awful and too vague on the concept, and this is coming from Disney, a company that practically throws a parade every time they open a new drinking fountain.

The promo with the kid going to see like one room within the Starcruiser before going to a bar to see Gaya singing and people at the bar with the "oh, this is ok I guess" look on their faces was such a massive fail. Don't get me wrong, the singer herself is great IMO...BUT the ad/promo completely misses every mark possible.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s pretty clear there was one plan for SWGE. And, at some point, someone got the bright idea to lock a lot of the add ons behind the GS paywall. It’s unfortunate, as a legit restaurant experience and streetmosphere could add a sense of vitality to the land, which is clearly missing it.

What's worse is that Disneyland would have never received anything extra as they weren't even going to get the Starcruiser there (assuming it was actually going to be a worthy product, which it wasn't)
The existence of the Disneyland version kinda defeats the “paywall” theory…

They just used the wrong IP and cut or never planned spending the day to day cost of streetmosphere. That’s the bottomline.

We know what happened. It’s “Ifees” 101…

They just think putting “Disney” above the turnstiles and “Star Wars” on the land is enough. Their audience is that stupid. That’s a “belief system”

ChrisFL

Premium Member
They just think putting “Disney” above the turnstiles and “Star Wars” on the land is enough. Their audience is that stupid. That’s a “belief system”

Can't argue with you there, unfortunately we're also seeing that with other industries like video games where these mega corporations also think their audience is stupid...but at least there we've seen a lot of well-coordinated push back by gamers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can't argue with you there, unfortunately we're also seeing that with other industries like video games where these mega corporations also think their audience is stupid...but at least there we've seen a lot of well-coordinated push back by gamers.
The problem with consumers these days…is the more companies charge to chase their out of reason sales targets…the more “smart” consumers are becoming. The blowback is finally increasing after years of nonsense

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The problem with consumers these days…is the more companies charge to chase their out of reason sales targets…the more “smart” consumers are becoming. The blowback is finally increasing after years of nonsense

Sadly I don't think the average theme park goer is as organized...but in the Starcruiser's case it was VERY easy to "vote with their wallet"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom