News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

Rockishcoco

I watched all of it....the last 15 or so minutes of that is amazing as it breaks down all of Disney's greed at their parks really succinctly
You weren't kidding. The last 15 minutes of this are a brutal exorcising of the business practices everyone on this board has been complaining about for the last decade. Worth a watch all the way through and hopefully a cause for reflection at WDI (it won't be).

Tha Realest

For me the most shocking aspect of failure once put into perspective was the marketing. Whoever was the marketing director should be fired. Every single commercial and information post for the GS was awful and too vague on the concept, and this is coming from Disney, a company that practically throws a parade every time they open a new drinking fountain.
Yes, we heard a lot of blame heaped on the marketing already. To the contrary, what’s spurred on this recent discussion the last few days is the video by a woman who was predisposed to like this version of Star Wars, paid a few thousand, and was still greatly disappointed.

This is exactly the sort of experience developed for someone of her SW tastes, and the marketing worked, and yet she still left greatly disappointed in the experience.

Notes from Neverland

The last 15-20 minutes of her video basically summarize a lot of the points constantly mentioned here about Disney removing included perks and putting things behind an additional cost. Her thought is the Galactic Starcruiser is just the first public rejection against the aggressive pricing and paywalls Disney has introduced. She's not wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, we heard a lot of blame heaped on the marketing already. To the contrary, what’s spurred on this recent discussion the last few days is the video by a woman who was predisposed to like this version of Star Wars, paid a few thousand, and was still greatly disappointed.

This is exactly the sort of experience developed for someone of her SW tastes, and the marketing worked, and yet she still left greatly disappointed in the experience.

Blaming the marketing when this started to go down - which was almost immediately because it was widely available from about 2 months in…is typical. It’s classic dust.

Disney didn’t fail. The management didn’t fail. The story people didn’t fail. WDI didn’t fail (they actually failed the least…because they are given orders)…

Some faceless “marketing” people did. Those anonymous faces just too STUPID to execute Robert A Ifees well run operation and deliver…
…we all can hate them, can’t we?

RoysCabin

Love Jenny's videos, she's always fun and is great when she talks Disney, given both how clear her connection to the parks is and also that I think she was a CM for a little while at Disneyland. She often appears when Defunctland is doing his annual holiday charity drive, she rocks.

But yeah, her video covers just about everything, but man that final fifteen minutes was kind of cathartic to hear, albeit also kind of depressing when the realization hits that lines being monetize-able means that we're well and truly past the age of big, people-eating, 10-20 minute attractions, since that'd mean less incentive to pay for Genie+/LLs, and trapped in this era of "slap an IP on a 2-3 minute ride, make 'em wait, then dump 'em in the gift shop."

However, I'd say an even bigger point was the way she called out the overuse of the word "immersion"; Foxx Nolte over at Passport to Dreams Old and New once made a magnificent blog post pointing out how so many of the greatest theme park attractions of all time revolve around a somewhat abstract yet tangible (talk about a paradox) "experience" - you enter a haunted house, you explore the human capacity for imagination, that sort of thing. Yet the Eisner era dove deep into the pool of giving every ride a "story", instead, most often of the "...but then something goes wrong!" variety, and the Bobs era is giving us "don't worry, we'll IMMERSE you in your favorite IPs!", and through all of it the actual sense of a tangible experience that can impact your imagination, memory, and feelings much more deeply is kind of missing, all because they have to keep chasing Potter and because they think it'll sell Disney+ subscriptions.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

… all because they have to keep chasing Potter and because they think it'll sell Disney+ subscriptions.
I suppose it goes both ways to some extent, but I think the reverse is actually the bigger focus. That is, they think the safest path to maintaining a high level of interest in the parks is to bring in IP proven to be fairly reliable and evergreen on D+ and/or in theaters. And I think it’s actually a fair mindset to have given that Disney is no longer experimental in the way that they once were, with their fingers in multiple pies; they’re an established media megacorp. They’re expected to leverage that in parks and resorts, not tread into untested waters when they have plenty of known safe pools to wade into. The problem is that, from an infrastructural standpoint, some of their parks don’t really support this strategy, and trying to force it to fit is painful and discordant. I think you also hit on a very important point with regard to the narrative structure of rides. Their focus on “storytelling” right now is tired and often doesn’t resonate in the same way some of the more atmospheric attractions did back in the day.

Animaniac93-98

all because they have to keep chasing Potter...

Amazing how, years later, Disney still hasn't topped Potter as far as "living your x adventure"

Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade still offer more entertainment and interactivity than either Galaxy's Edge or Pandora, more rides, having one ride function as both a storytelling and literal vehicle, food and shopping that logically supports the theme* and they actually let you wear the cosplay.

*the unfair advantage of Potter having so many pre-existing food and stores to draw from

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Amazing how, years later, Disney still hasn't topped Potter as far as "living your x adventure"

Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade still offer more entertainment and interactivity than either Galaxy's Edge or Pandora, more rides, having one ride function as both a storytelling and literal vehicle, food and shopping that logically supports the theme* and they actually let you wear the cosplay.

*the unfair advantage of Potter having so many pre-existing food and stores to draw from
They get all kinds of shade from Disney fans…green with envy…

But the potter lands are the most simple fun, all ages escape I’ve ever seen in a park. I’m not a potter fan (casual at best) and didn’t Expect that much…and i still can’t believe just how well it all works together.

RoysCabin

That last part is the point I've been making ever since Avatar and Star Wars were announced for WDW: Potter works for this medium precisely because it's literary in nature and thus has a lot of established features meant to appeal to all the senses (in universe food and drinks, described scents, that sort of stuff) plus it's a story centered around a handful of very detailed, lived-in environments that fans want to spend time in and explore because they know them so well already...and that's just not Star Wars. Play to a franchise's strengths, or otherwise seek out franchises that suit a three-dimensional, five-senses experience (e.g. something like building a replica of the Shire from Lord of the Rings, ala the preserved set in New Zealand).

I mean, I'm not even a Potter fan, and am not super eager to support it much nowadays, but they absolutely got the theme park stuff for it right both because they did strong work with it, but also because the franchise just really lends itself to creating a fully-themed, and yes, "iMmErSiVe" environment.

I suppose it goes both ways to some extent, but I think the reverse is actually the bigger focus. That is, they think the safest path to maintaining a high level of interest in the parks is to bring in IP proven to be fairly reliable and evergreen on D+ and/or in theaters. And I think it’s actually a fair mindset to have given that Disney is no longer experimental in the way that they once were, with their fingers in multiple pies; they’re an established media megacorp. They’re expected to leverage that in parks and resorts, not tread into untested waters when they have plenty of known safe pools to wade into. The problem is that, from an infrastructural standpoint, some of their parks don’t really support this strategy, and trying to force it to fit is painful and discordant. I think you also hit on a very important point with regard to the narrative structure of rides. Their focus on “storytelling” right now is tired and often doesn’t resonate in the same way some of the more atmospheric attractions did back in the day.
I do get the whole thing about where their business is right now, but man, it feels so short-sighted; why not play in other sandboxes, too? It helps to create lifelong fans and return visitors, which is basically how they did it back in the day.

The way they're handling it in Tokyo seems smart: set an area aside ala Fantasyland to be the main "IP character section", rather than shoehorning them into spots and parks they really don't belong, but really go all out with it and put tons of effort into it. Of course, Tokyo has the Oriental Land Company footing a ton of the bill, so I don't anticipate us getting much of anything like that, but if they must do it it would be nice to see it done with no holding back.

BrianLo

…oh fine…let me watch this thing 🙄

Jump to time-point 3:48 basically when part XX kicks off. I recommend everyone do so who are completely put off by the four hour run time.

If that speaks to your heart (which it probably will), you may find yourself watching the entire, quite exhaustive and fascinatingly immersive magnum opus to the Star Cruiser.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom