News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser to permanently close this fall

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Amazing how, years later, Disney still hasn't topped Potter as far as "living your x adventure"

Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade still offer more entertainment and interactivity than either Galaxy's Edge or Pandora, more rides, having one ride function as both a storytelling and literal vehicle, food and shopping that logically supports the theme* and they actually let you wear the cosplay.

*the unfair advantage of Potter having so many pre-existing food and stores to draw from

It's funny because Scott Trowbridge was involved in both Hogsmeade and Galaxy's Edge.

I think Disney tried TOO hard in the wrong direction but also didn't focus on what guests ACTUALLY wanted. It's also challenging when they had a lot of previous Star Wars themed attractions, merch and activities going back to the 90's.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I suppose it goes both ways to some extent, but I think the reverse is actually the bigger focus. That is, they think the safest path to maintaining a high level of interest in the parks is to bring in IP proven to be fairly reliable and evergreen on D+ and/or in theaters. And I think it’s actually a fair mindset to have given that Disney is no longer experimental in the way that they once were, with their fingers in multiple pies; they’re an established media megacorp. They’re expected to leverage that in parks and resorts, not tread into untested waters when they have plenty of known safe pools to wade into. The problem is that, from an infrastructural standpoint, some of their parks don’t really support this strategy, and trying to force it to fit is painful and discordant. I think you also hit on a very important point with regard to the narrative structure of rides. Their focus on “storytelling” right now is tired and often doesn’t resonate in the same way some of the more atmospheric attractions did back in the day.
…wait a minute…that can almost be construed by somebody who didn’t know better as “criticism”?

…are we feeling ok?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Jump to time-point 3:48 basically when part XX kicks off. I recommend everyone do so who are completely put off by the four hour run time.

If that speaks to your heart (which it probably will), you may find yourself watching the entire, quite exhaustive and fascinating immersive magnum opus to the Star Cruiser.
Ummm…I’m watching it in reverse now.

Let’s just say she won’t have to worry about rubbing elbows with the trakkers at the next “sell your soul” press event

BrianLo

Amazing how, years later, Disney still hasn't topped Potter as far as "living your x adventure"

Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade still offer more entertainment and interactivity than either Galaxy's Edge or Pandora, more rides, having one ride function as both a storytelling and literal vehicle, food and shopping that logically supports the theme* and they actually let you wear the cosplay.

*the unfair advantage of Potter having so many pre-existing food and stores to draw from

It's funny because Scott Trowbridge was involved in both Hogsmeade and Galaxy's Edge.

I think in his mild defence, if you stripped out some of the more obvious features of Star Cruiser that clearly were meant for Galaxies' Edge (the game, the dining location, the entertainment, the finale catwalk stunt show and a few of the props, character actors and figures) we'd be looking at a very different product.

They pay-walled a lot of what was supposed to make Galaxie's Edge special. It wasn't because Star Cruiser was a bit dorky, it's because it was 3+ thousand dollars a head for something that should have been free... (minus a hotel stay in a tiny cabin).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I thought it was universally accepted that WDI is caught in the middle?
As in it’s been clear for sometime that the focus group hierarchy and culture is really telling them what to do?

I think Disney tried TOO hard in the wrong direction but also didn't focus on what guests ACTUALLY wanted. It's also challenging when they had a lot of previous Star Wars themed attractions, merch and activities going back to the 90's.
They don’t understand that property. At all. You don’t trip over your feet under the brightest pop culture lights if you know what the plan is…

As far as pre-existing problems…Star tours was a bad decision from the start. I get why they did it…but it didn’t really meet the need/demand for that property. Which is ironic considering they added a video game sim that’s very similar and a haunted mansion style “7 year old thrills” ride with a lot of tech.

I’ve only said this for decades: use Isaac Newton if you want to draw people to the biggest modern pop franchise. It’s so obviously crazy it would work.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think in his mild defence, if you stripped out some of the more obvious features of Star Cruiser that clearly were meant for Galaxies' Edge (the game, the dining location, the entertainment, the finale catwalk stunt show and a few of the props, character actors and figures) we'd be looking at a very different product.

They pay-walled a lot of what was supposed to make Galaxie's Edge special. It wasn't because Star Cruiser was a bit dorky, it's because it was 3+ thousand dollars a head for something that should have been free... (minus a hotel stay in a tiny cabin).

Well now since I was forced to watch alot of that video 🤪

I’m just now seeing what a true disaster that clown show is.

It’s sophomoric…put it in mgm
Might provide more diversions…and it would help…
But at the end of the day the problem is they just don’t understand the appeal. They worried about what they project will play in 2030 and ignored what did play in 1980. They’re not the first…George kinda did too…

But the result is the same. They just never got it.

Fido Chuckwagon

Blaming the marketing when this started to go down - which was almost immediately because it was widely available from about 2 months in…is typical. It’s classic dust.

Disney didn’t fail. The management didn’t fail. The story people didn’t fail. WDI didn’t fail (they actually failed the least…because they are given orders)…

Some faceless “marketing” people did. Those anonymous faces just too STUPID to execute Robert A Ifees well run operation and deliver…
…we all can hate them, can’t we?
It’s really telling how quickly so many people predicted this thing failing. I still don’t understand how they possibly thought something this niche could survive at that price point. I mean, seriously, who crunched those numbers and came to the conclusion that this was sustainable?

Brian

I mean, seriously, who crunched those numbers and came to the conclusion that this was sustainable?
Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

Hah. There’s a lot of Monday-Morning quarterbacking about why this thing failed. And yes, all the arguments about choosing the sequel trilogy, terrible advertising, hokey experiences, narrow appeal for Larping all have some merit. But I still maintain that the single thing that doomed this from the start was that price point. Everything else was survivable, but that price point was just absolutely bonkers insane for a 2 night experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s really telling how quickly so many people predicted this thing failing. I still don’t understand how they possibly thought something this niche could survive at that price point. I mean, seriously, who crunched those numbers and came to the conclusion that this was sustainable?
…I may have mentioned this before…

…but they have misread the entire franchise

They are playing darts blindfolded.

This was no different. Like the land…

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Hah. There’s a lot of Monday-Morning quarterbacking about why this thing failed. And yes, all the arguments about choosing the sequel trilogy, terrible advertising, hokey experiences, narrow appeal for Larping all have some merit. But I still maintain that the single thing that doomed this from the start was that price point. Everything else was survivable, but that price point was just absolutely bonkers insane for a 2 night experience.

What's worse IMO is it seems like they didn't have a Plan B. They didn't consider the option to convert it into a more "regular" hotel stay, but with better planning and a flexible approach with how hotel structure was built, they could have.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's worse IMO is it seems like they didn't have a Plan B. They didn't consider the option to convert it into a more "regular" hotel stay, but with better planning and a flexible approach with how hotel structure was built, they could have.
That whole franchise

Plan A has sucked…and they don’t have any sense of plan B except boba part deux and the green guy

tomast

The real problem with the StarCruiser was the price point, the rest was just fine. $5,000 its just too much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom