News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

edfhinton

What about the fact that a significant portion of the Starcruiser experience was spent in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge?
Most guests spent no more than 4 hours on Batuu (Galaxy's Edge) out of close to 36 waking hours. So not insignificant, but not more than 10 to 15% of the experience. I do not think it was essential to the experience. I do think that proximoty could be essential to whatever they do next, though.

Last edited:

edfhinton

What I hope they learn from this experiment:
  • Fans love immersive experiences if they feel authentic
  • Pricing was way too high
  • They need to do a better job of explaining innovative things
Exactly - and I believe they certainly learned the first one and the third one. No idea about the second one. Remember, corporations run on profit margin, not cash profit.
What I'm afraid they're actually thinking:
  • Immersive experiences are overplayed
  • Star Wars is overplayed
  • We really need to build a Star Wars hotel with a pool
I think we will discover otherwise. There are reasons to believe they are going to do a next Star Wars thing there. The fear of those of us who loved it is that it gets so watered down as to lose what made it so good.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think we will discover otherwise. There are reasons to believe they are going to do a next Star Wars thing there. The fear of those of us who loved it is that it gets so watered down as to lose what made it so good.

This is perfectly reasonable…if you live in a world without money or common sense

edfhinton

Great podcast on the true nature of Galactic Starcruiser by the some of the world's top developers of immersive experiences. They cover not only what the experience was like for them but importantly some of what Disney could have done to ensure guests were prepared for the experience.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Great podcast on the true nature of Galactic Starcruiser by the some of the world's top developers of immersive experiences. They cover not only what the experience was like for them but importantly some of what Disney could have done to ensure guests were prepared for the experience.

…You seem to be having a rough time letting go?

edfhinton

…You seem to be having a rough time letting go?
..You seem to have a rough time comprehending how good it was. The podcast tells it.

It's really pretty simple. I and others who went are not trying to convince you or anyone else who has made up their minds against it. But we are not going to allow a one-sided narrative to paint an unopposed negative picture for others who stumble across these threads who had not made up their minds. They get to read both sides. The community that has pulled together (several thousands strong already who experienced it) has a lot in store coming out in the next 6+ months about the Starcruiser experience. There will likely be more positive reflections of it in that time than ever were out there while it was open. So whatever Disney comes out with next, there will be a counterpoint to all the negatives that went so unopposed the first time around. We're not having a hard time letting go because we choose not to let it go. If it wasn't for you, that's fine. No one needs it to have been. But it set a bar that had never been hit before in the industry, and it will have been the beginning, not the end. As the podcast says... someday, the Galactic Starcruiser will have been our Woodstock.

Last edited:

TP2000

so did they do anything specific to the last run?
as much as people dump on this and the Holiday Special, doing that song Bea Arthur had at the Cantina would have been pretty neat to send this out on

No kidding! That would have been hysterical, and could have earned them some street credibility that they sorely lack now. 🤣

But to do that, they would have to be able to laugh at themselves a bit. And one thing the new generation of youngsters in WDI can't do today is laugh at themselves.

Everything they do is very, very important. Everything they do is very, very serious work. No laughing allowed.

pdude81

Thing hasn’t been closed a month and already we have Disney fan unsolicited revisionism kicking in. That’s got to be a new record.
Not exactly. The same people who criticized this and didn't go on it, continue to criticize it after not going on it. The experience was incredible, but I think even those who experienced it can agree that it was a commercial failure (considering it is no longer operating).

Execution of the concept was tremendous, but the marketing was horrible and the price too high for casual fans.

I just don't get what the point of continually coming back to try to dance on the grave is, when the same points have been made on both sides for 18 months.

Splash4eva

Can someone please explain if this was such a big hit and a great experience why was is such a failure in Disney’s eyes that it needed to be closed down… tax write off is not a valid one imo

LSLS

Can someone please explain if this was such a big hit and a great experience why was is such a failure in Disney’s eyes that it needed to be closed down… tax write off is not a valid one imo
Because the concept being executed very well and the concept itself not being very well thought out are not mutually exclusive. For what was the concept, they executed very well (or so say most everyone who rode it, and I have 0 reason to doubt all of them). But, they pigeonholed themselves into such a tiny market, the execution wasn't going to matter because there was no way to find enough customers to keep it going.

Splash4eva

Because the concept being executed very well and the concept itself not being very well thought out are not mutually exclusive. For what was the concept, they executed very well (or so say most everyone who rode it, and I have 0 reason to doubt all of them). But, they pigeonholed themselves into such a tiny market, the execution wasn't going to matter because there was no way to find enough customers to keep it going.
Then explain why when it was announced to be closed it booked up in hours & people have said they wish they could have experienced it? Seems like a marketing issue if anything else.

Incomudro

Not exactly. The same people who criticized this and didn't go on it, continue to criticize it after not going on it. The experience was incredible, but I think even those who experienced it can agree that it was a commercial failure (considering it is no longer operating).

Execution of the concept was tremendous, but the marketing was horrible and the price too high for casual fans.

I just don't get what the point of continually coming back to try to dance on the grave is, when the same points have been made on both sides for 18 months.
Certainly an enjoyable experience was created and experienced for those who participated.
But it wasn't the Star Wars experience most fans want.
And that's Disney's current problem with the brand.

LSLS

Then explain why when it was announced to be closed it booked up in hours & people have said they wish they could have experienced it? Seems like a marketing issue if anything else.
People wanted to experience it one last time because the people who went greatly enjoyed it (I noticed a lot saying they were going again). And people who were on the fence jumped at it when they knew they would have no other opportunity. It's the same reason it booked up when first announced and then it quickly tailed off. I'm sure marketing played some role, but I saw plenty of commercials for it, and I saw it on my facebook feed all the time. I will stand by I think the largest issue was the size of the pool they had to draw customers from, but I won't argue that marketing could have played a role as well.

Tha Realest

Certainly an enjoyable experience was created and experienced for those who participated.
But it wasn't the Star Wars experience most fans want.
And that's Disney's current problem with the brand.
Yep. Go to the Star Wars toys in your local Target or Wal Mart. How many of them are those from the sequel trilogy, as opposed to the original trilogy and now the Mandoverse?

Dranth

It was a great experience amongst the people who actually went and we know this through anecdotal stories backed up by the guest satisfaction numbers.

However, it doesn't matter how great something is if it is too expensive for most people to give it a chance. Not enough people give it a chance then it doesn't make enough money to justify the cost. Hence why it is being shut down.

It was a neat idea and I am glad they tried something different but I think it was doomed the second they released the pricing. I don't know about you but most people I know aren't going to gamble that they might like an experience for that amount of money.

Splash4eva

It was a great experience amongst the people who actually went and we know this through anecdotal stories backed up by the guest satisfaction numbers.

However, it doesn't matter how great something is if it is too expensive for most people to give it a chance. Not enough people give it a chance then it doesn't make enough money to justify the cost. Hence why it is being shut down.

It was a neat idea and I am glad they tried something different but I think it was doomed the second they released the pricing. I don't know about you but most people I know aren't going to gamble that they might like an experience for that amount of money.
If pricing was a big issue which seems like it was… why not find a better price point. Im pretty sure Disney had to have some room if need be. Yes i know i sound naive and trust me im well aware of Disney’s current management lol but for something this unique and “successful” to me that was a better option than shuttering it completely.

LSLS

If pricing was a big issue which seems like it was… why not find a better price point. Im pretty sure Disney had to have some room if need be. Yes i know i sound naive and trust me im well aware of Disney’s current management lol but for something this unique and “successful” to me that was a better option than shuttering it completely.

You've got to remember there are a lot of other things in play with pricing. Things like the cost to build the place will factor into what they can price it at, along with all the staff/electricity/maintanence/etc. On top of that, they'd be paying a lot of attention to how people spend their time before and after a cruise. Are people just adding this as part of their existing WDW trip? Or is it replacing a trip? If it's replacing a trip, what cost becomes not worth it? For example, if a family was going to stay a week at Port Orleans with tickets, you are almost at the current cost of the cruiser without any food or gifts built in. A standard room at All Stars is $4,400 (at least the week I looked at in November which was random). So if this isn't simply an add on, and you drop the price by $1,500, it's entirely possible you make less money that if you close the place and have those take their week long vacation. BUT, along those lines, if you lower it enough, maybe it becomes an add on as opposed to a separate trip? I don't know, obviously I have no data to back up anything on it, but I think with it holding only 100 rooms, the margins are probably less than they should be if it was built to more of a cruise ship size.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

There’s two sides of that…as you well know.

Dancing on the grave is unnecessary - granted - as long as the last few days (“new” poster…Incase you didn’t notice…red alert) of hinting that the masses that spoke and said “no”…to the point that they pulled the plug almost more quickly than ANYTHING we have seen? Certainly nothing of that magnitude

…somehow “misunderstood”? That need not occur…similar to grave dancing.

They failed. Simple.
It was predicted…but even I didn’t believe. It’s symbolic of a bigger problem…that management “philosophy” lead to such a terrible decision. Historically nobody was better at gathering market data and using it than Disney. It’s not an accident they have printed money. But they clearly didn’t have it to this…and they built it anyway. That’s bigger than a Star Wars problem.

There’s been near zero “misunderstanding” from Star Wars fans.
It’s been Disneys comedy of errors, hubris and straight up failure to comprehend.

Last edited:

edfhinton

Those who went who believe it was largely a marketing failure based on the fact we know lots of people with the money who either never heard of it or thought it was just an expensive hotel . But of course cost structure was a major contributor because any miss with a high cost structure destroys margin. As to the financial decision, we all can only speculate without seeing the books, but Disney parks generally run at about a 30% profit margin, which they need in order to balance the loss-leading nature of some of their other holdings. Whatever target margin they had in mind for Starcruiser, if they were falling well short, it can make financial sense to take the substantial tax write off while reimagining the business model/offering. It also makes it easier to retool the marketing if they retool their offering because then they are not trying to combat the prior marketing mistakes. And in some ways they make have entirely accidentally stumbled into the best marketing move they could make by closing it because that has galvanized the starcruiser fan community in a way that never would have happened otherwise which they can now tap into when they are ready to announce whatever comes next.

As for the statements that the "masses" rejected it, that is the biggest fallacy in the whole discussions. The "masses" never heard of it. A small fraction of the potential market heard of it and of that small fraction they still managed to more than half fill it on average. It is impossible to conclude what the "masses" would have done if they had heard of it and actually understood it. You can't reject something you never heard of. That is the big failure on Disney's part.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom