News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

matt9112

This to me is a function of the hotel itself not having the broad appeal that would have sustained it beyond September. This screams the CMs trying anything and everything to entertain guests that inexplicably signed up for the experience and weren't interested in participating.

There’s a reason LARPIng is niche.

They advertised this as immersive hotel….not a LARP.

matt9112

It’s not really LARPing. Anyone who says that has a gross misunderstanding of the experience.

It sort of it…..it’s just optional….heck they even sell costumes you can wear…. The cast remember names and faces and events…..the same type of things you do at a LARP. There’s a driving story (just like a LARP event)

The caveat is you don’t NEED to. But than again why would you pay these prices to sleep in one of the worst value rooms ever conceived on property?

It might be different than any LARP type of event before but it most certainly has many aspects and attributes that make it damn well similar.

MagicHappens1971

It sort of it…..it’s just optional….heck they even sell costumes you can wear…. The cast remember names and faces and events…..the same type of things you do at a LARP. There’s a driving story (just like a LARP event)
Yeah, you can be as involved or as uninvolved as you want. The experience is driven by your choices and your interactions. If you don’t open the Datapad, as well as make real interactions with the ship and the performers, you’re not getting the most out of it.
The caveat is you don’t NEED to. But than again why would you pay these prices to sleep in one of the worst value rooms ever conceived on property?

It might be different than any LARP type of event before but it most certainly has many aspects and attributes that make it damn well similar.
I guess the differences from LARPing, make it to me that this isn’t LARPing. I say that because the vast majority of the guests who book this (I know because I used to work at Starcruiser) don’t understand what they signed up for.

I can’t even count the amount of passengers that I had this or a similar interaction with:

Q: Tomorrow we go to Hollywood Studios right?

A: Tomorrow we’ll be visiting the planet of Batuu for our excursion, you’ll take a shuttle from Deck 4 from 8a-4p.

Q: So we are going to Hollywood Studios, right? I saw it while we drove in, can we walk there?

A: We’ll unfortunately, we wouldn’t want you to get blown out into space so we have transport shuttles available from 8a-4p on Deck 4.

Q: Oh is that like a Bus?

A: That may be what you call it on your home planet.

Another example:

Q: Why won’t the Captain stop and take a picture with me?

A: Captain Keevan is a very busy woman, but if you do get a chance, feel free to ask her to take a holoscan with you.

TheMaxRebo

Yeah, you can be as involved or as uninvolved as you want. The experience is driven by your choices and your interactions. If you don’t open the Datapad, as well as make real interactions with the ship and the performers, you’re not getting the most out of it.

I guess the differences from LARPing, make it to me that this isn’t LARPing. I say that because the vast majority of the guests who book this (I know because I used to work at Starcruiser) don’t understand what they signed up for.

I can’t even count the amount of passengers that I had this or a similar interaction with:

A: Tomorrow we’ll be visiting the planet of Batuu for our excursion, you’ll take a shuttle from Deck 4 from 8a-4p.

Q: So we are going to Hollywood Studios, right? I saw it while we drove in, can we walk there?

A: We’ll unfortunately, we wouldn’t want you to get blown out into space so we have transport shuttles available from 8a-4p on Deck 4.

Another example:

A: Captain Keevan is a very busy woman, but if you do get a chance, feel free to ask her to take a holoscan with you.

And that just seems crazy to me that people would spend that kind of money and not know what they are getting into .... Even some minimal research would explain how this is structured and basics of what it is, etc

And that immersion is the whole point - I also don't understand why someone would do this/pay this money if that isn't what they want

celluloid

That’s the same thing they just tried and it flopped…

But that was for $3000 a head…

So you want them to do it for like…$200 a head? And have to run people back and forth all day to make Pennies?

Maybe they’ll have a coupon day?

…it was just a bad idea. It’s over, Johnny

At a certain point here, people just reinvent the theme park. Make a really great event for 100-200 dollars a head. Entertainment in bulk but a lot of it is immersive entertainment for those who seek to interact deeper and much of it on a better scale.

It is indeed over, has been done better(subjectively for some, but objectively better accessible) for decades.

Tha Realest

It’s not really LARPing. Anyone who says that has a gross misunderstanding of the experience.
My college roommate 25+ years ago was really into LARPing. I thought it was interesting and niche but it’s held steady in the decades since and continues to grow in popularity. Unlike, you know, SWGS.

some other guy

Another example:

I dunno, "totally ignoring the game for irl junk and sporadically jumping in" sounds about like the Mind's Eye Theater game I was in for a while 🤣

Ravenclaw78

Another example:

Well, it's certainly not hardcore LARPing - nobody's going "OOC, where can I find an ST to sign off on these item cards?", hitting each other with foam weapons or Nerf guns, or doing rock-paper-scissors to resolve ability checks - and it's optional for the guests (CM's, I assume, won't break character regardless). It's definitely a LARP, though, from a certain point of view :D and that's the biggest appeal of the Starcruiser to everyone I know who went or wanted to go. Marketing failing to get that message out ahead of all the lazy reporters and "Disney lifestyle bloggers" who didn't bother to read enough of the press release to get the "not a hotel" part was inexcusable, and the booking agents should have been told (assuming they weren't) to fully explain what to expect when people called to book. What you get out of the experience depends on what you're willing to put into it, so of course you're going to feel like it wasn't worth it if you showed up expecting a Star Wars themed Contemporary Resort and didn't at least roll with it anyway.

dreamfinder912

Well, it's certainly not hardcore LARPing - nobody's going "OOC, where can I find an ST to sign off on these item cards?", hitting each other with foam weapons or Nerf guns, or doing rock-paper-scissors to resolve ability checks - and it's optional for the guests (CM's, I assume, won't break character regardless). It's definitely a LARP, though, from a certain point of view :D and that's the biggest appeal of the Starcruiser to everyone I know who went or wanted to go. Marketing failing to get that message out ahead of all the lazy reporters and "Disney lifestyle bloggers" who didn't bother to read enough of the press release to get the "not a hotel" part was inexcusable, and the booking agents should have been told (assuming they weren't) to fully explain what to expect when people called to book. What you get out of the experience depends on what you're willing to put into it, so of course you're going to feel like it wasn't worth it if you showed up expecting a Star Wars themed Contemporary Resort and didn't at least roll with it anyway.
Yes, this exactly! When DAK opened there was all that Notazu promotional stuff because they knew "people are gonna say this is just a Disney zoo, why pay those prices." The instant anyone was allowed to call this "the star wars hotel" it was lost.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. Disney and Lucasfilm basically said to the original fans, go pound sand, we don't need you. They said, we're making these for a new generation. And the sad thing is all the people here who supported them and still try to justify their stupidity. And now they play the fool like we just don't know what happened.

They had 4 movies to actually go to black spire outpost. There was opportunities in force awakens and it would have made complete sense for solo. It could have easily been worked into rogue one as well. But all they could muster was a droid name dropping it. Force awakens did extremely well. If Rey was from Batuu and you spent the first quarter of the movie in and around black spire, problem solved. Instead they went with the lets just mostly parallel a new hope strategy.

Here's the deal. The films should be the catalyst for the overall story. When you need to rely on a one off comic or novel for people to understand something, that's a big fat L. I've said it before. Black spire, and the fact that it's a new location isn't the issue. It's the fact that Lucasfilm, especially Kennedy, has zero clue how to handle star wars.
I love you…will you marry me?

But full disclosure: I think I have standing proposals to the Mom and CastleCupcake…so they get priority 😱

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, this exactly! When DAK opened there was all that Notazu promotional stuff because they knew "people are gonna say this is just a Disney zoo, why pay those prices." The instant anyone was allowed to call this "the star wars hotel" it was lost.
Don’t blame the fans of Star Wars for the failure of the dumpster parked next to world drive. DON’T. It’s not valid for a second.

A minor point of order…but “nahtazu” was a rushed marketing campaign when the DAK attendance fell after its first year and a half of operation…it’s costly and they were bleeding. It’s not so much “people didn’t get it…” as much as it was budget cut/rushed and wasn’t anywhere close to a full park.

Whenever a Disney project fails or struggles…they want the customers to be blamed. And their unpaid agents in such echo chambers willingly do it…

But this Econ 002:
They are the supplier…if the customers reject it, the supplier is 101% to blame.

I swear…only Disney gets this nonsense

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom