News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

cjkeating

Wow... I really didn't expect this thread to blow up weeks after the Starcruiser closed.

Question to the posters who didn't go and are on a mission to convince everyone it was terrible, don't you have something better to do with your time? I don't think their is one member in this thread who went and had a bad time yet there are multiple members who didn't go trying to discredit them... for what purpose?

JD80

My man, millions more saw the videos of the Starcruiser and said “nope”.

And then it closed due to lack of interest.

We get it. The incredibly tiny amount of people who had interest in LARP’ing in an 8 year old’s “science fiction” birthday party fever dream absolutely loved it.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world looked at it and said no thanks.

(Oh, and BTW more than half of the audience who saw Cats liked it (53%), but that was also a ridiculous amount of people with terrible taste, just like this disaster)

Uh huh.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wow... I really didn't expect this thread to blow up weeks after the Starcruiser closed.

Question to the posters who didn't go and are on a mission to convince everyone it was terrible, don't you have something better to do with your time? I don't think their is one member in this thread who went and had a bad time yet there are multiple members who didn't go trying to discredit them... for what purpose?
Well…turns out the investigation is easy.

A poster with ZERO history showed up about 30 pages ago and claimed “victory” for Disney on what is a failure. And has since disappeared. Not at all “surprising”.

Then the battle lines drew and it went all twisty turny.

So after that second sign on trick…we can probably draw it to a close:

1. The people who went liked it
2. Not nearly enough people showed interest in going
3. Disney has a major Star Wars problem (breaking news there)

I’m sure I’ll get the personal nonsense for the “hot takes”…but it’s more than fair.

erasure fan1

Just think of what could have been done if this money had been invested in GE, a 3rd attraction, more character interactions, maybe some sort of in land transport .... Oh well can't cry over spilled milk.
That's a big issue with Disneys mindset overall in my opinion. I have to think that galaxys edge was cut because they figured they could charge for the interactive experience's. And since it was star wars, people would line up to pay for it no matter the cost. The land looked great, the rockwork, buildings, the ships and droid parts, all well done. But it was definitely lacking in many ways. Galaxy's edge should have been so much more than it is. And I think part of the issue is because of the star Cruiser. So now that it's closed, how fast do we see the expansion to the land that it desperately needs. A true sit-down restaurant with characters, a 3rd ride preferably outside to give the land some life, and droids and characters from all of the franchise. Unfortunately I think the answer is not anytime soon.

Dranth

I’m sure I’ll get the personal nonsense for the “hot takes”…but it’s more than fair.
I don't think you will get much push back on those from anyone who is being serious because they are all true. Number one is where a lot of the discussion has broken down. We have people trying to tell those that did go they're experience is wrong because it doesn't align with what the poster thinks the experience was. That is just crazy to me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
. So now that it's closed, how fast do we see the expansion to the land that it desperately needs. A true sit-down restaurant with characters, a 3rd ride preferably outside to give the land some life, and droids and characters from all of the franchise. Unfortunately I think the answer is not anytime soon.

That’s really what it needs…all of it. Which would solidify the park for 20 years…where the REAL money is made!!

…but it won’t happen. Especially with this “philosophy”

They’ll look for the next double charge/paywall.

In case anyone missed it - they rolled out a whole new slate of upsells yesterday. What’s different? They are on days that won’t be that crowded.

And here we are: block pricing. Without much pretense this time.

Been coming for 15 years…you do the math. Not good for ANY of us.

Oh well…yeah…adding to Star Wars land and - embracing Lucas 😱 - is iger’s people admitting mistakes…which they need to get used to - cause it’s gonna happen more and more. But I don’t see it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think you will get much push back on those from anyone who is being serious because they are all true. Number one is where a lot of the discussion has broken down. We have people trying to tell those that did go they're experience is wrong because it doesn't align with what the poster thinks the experience was. That is just crazy to me.
I don’t doubt people had a good time…If they didn’t and locked them in a box for 2 days…we would have heard almost immediately.

But my take - and it’s consistent - is Disney stay out of the niche stuff and stop it with the “luxury” pricing. They’ll collapse it.

At the end of the day they’re amusement parks that need the American middle class to be the foundation of the foot traffic…

Period. Stop. And that’s the Star Wars market too…hundreds of billions in licensed sales now…another full stop.

You can evolve…you can adapt…offer add ons. But who are we kidding? This was 50% a test for egregious pricing gimmicks.
And if the management is “tired” of their lane/core clientele?…then you replace them.

Let’s not screw this kinda thing up too? Like with block pricing. And dining. And line queues.
Full reject. Hold the line.

Soapbox…DISMOUNT!!

AEfx

Seems like you're searching for any evidence you can find to suit your argument. At least that's what I'm suspecting based on the words I've seen in this thread. Two different approaches

No, I'm just trying to get someone to actually, you know, show us what we are missing.

You made a post of a spinner ride at WDW, trying to make a snide comment about what if people only judged WDW by that video, implying that we were cherry picking.

So, in moments, I was able to give you actual videos of things at WDW that people are actually impressed by.

Still waiting for you guys to do that to support your argument - given that there are over 700,000 videos of the Star Cruiser on YouTube, this should not be a difficult task.

LittleBuford

No, I'm just trying to get someone to actually, you know, show us what we are missing.
This is like asking someone who really savoured a meal that isn’t to your taste to demonstrate why they liked it. Or, to use an analogy that may be more pertinent, like someone who doesn’t enjoy Disney theme parks asking us to prove to them why we do.

No-one is trying to convince you that you’re wrong to find the Starcruiser unappealing. You, however, seem intent on doing the opposite.

Ayla

A poster with ZERO history showed up about 30 pages ago and claimed “victory” for Disney on what is a failure. And has since disappeared. Not at all “surprising”.

So after that second sign on trick…we can probably draw it to a close:

It followed a frequent phenomenon in the Disney community ~ something new opens, people are critical (with good reason), all kinds of media/info comes out about said new attraction and then the pretentious pearl clutching of the Disney fan boys kicks in, with the predictable "HOW DARE YOU?! Photos don't do it justice, the incredibly long and detailed videos/blog posts don't tell the whole story, you have to be there to understand what's happening..." etc, along with the revisionist history of what a marvel it was.

Tha Realest

It followed a frequent phenomenon in the Disney community ~ something new opens, people are critical (with good reason), all kinds of media/info comes out about said new attraction and then the pretentious pearl clutching of the Disney fan boys kicks in, with the predictable "HOW DARE YOU?! Photos don't do it justice, the incredibly long and detailed videos/blog posts don't tell the whole story, you have to be there to understand what's happening..." etc, along with the revisionist history of what a marvel it was.
Gaslighting with pixie dust as the primer

TheMaxRebo

You made a post of a spinner ride at WDW, trying to make a snide comment about what if people only judged WDW by that video, implying that we were cherry picking.

So, in moments, I was able to give you actual videos of things at WDW that people are actually impressed by.

Still waiting for you guys to do that to support your argument - given that there are over 700,000 videos of the Star Cruiser on YouTube, this should not be a difficult task.

There are tons of videos with people providing their review of their stay there being extremely positive about the experience ... Many of them returning for multiple voyages - is that what you are looking for?

Like what evidence would convince you that people who actually experience it actually liked it (even if it isn't for you - and it wasn't structured as something for me either, but talking directly to people who did experience it and loved it, raved about it, went back again, the actual experience for people into what was provided was very well done)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
…first I’m hearing of this🤔

AEfx

Like what evidence would convince you that people who actually experience it actually liked it

Already past that - totally accept that there is this tiny group of folks who just were obsessed with it. You know, the ones who went until the bitter end and then Disney literally paid to get surveys from, and are now trying to reframe this as some misunderstood artistic masterpiece (because that survey gave them false hope that it would return).

What some of us are looking for is in response to the claim that somehow, with the 700,000+ videos available, that the rest of the world doesn't really really understand what went on in there, and that people are just cherry picking the lamest ones available. That we are judging the experience offered unjustly. That the claims about most of it looking like a cheap "generic Sci-Fi land", or the quality of the activity offerings being severely lacking are wrong, because we "only saw a few images online".

Given that every inch of this thing was incredibly well-documented, with hundreds of thousands of hours of video, surely if there is some aspect of the experience that everyone else is missing, it must be out there.

JD80

Already past that - totally accept that there is this tiny group of folks who just were obsessed with it. You know, the ones who went until the bitter end and then Disney literally paid to get surveys from, and are now trying to reframe this as some misunderstood artistic masterpiece (because that survey gave them false hope that it would return).

What some of us are looking for is in response to the claim that somehow, with the 700,000+ videos available, that the rest of the world doesn't really really understand what went on in there, and that people are just cherry picking the lamest ones available. That we are judging the experience offered unjustly. That the claims about most of it looking like a cheap "generic Sci-Fi land", or the quality of the activity offerings being severely lacking are wrong, because we "only saw a few images online".

Given that every inch of this thing was incredibly well-documented, with hundreds of thousands of hours of video, surely if there is some aspect of the experience that everyone else is missing, it must be out there.

You need to take break.

AEfx

Yeah, it's also happening on at least one other forum that discusses Disney/Star Wars as well. I got a couple of private messages last night confirming it. Not that it wasn't pretty obvious what is going on, LOL.

Disney sent out these paid surveys to the absolute die hards who kept going until the end, and a group of them think that by breaking the NDA and leaking it, and then suddenly coming out of the woodwork on influential message boards that are known to be frequented by Disney and talking it up, that they somehow are going to "Save the StarCruiser" ROFL.

It's cute, but as we all know futile, as Disney has already taken a tax write off on the building and the experience itself is dead.

Wendy Pleakley

Anyone do the Star Wars thing at the void?

It was honestly a hoot…and great with kids.

I thought they missed out on some kinda open ended version of that?

It was fantastic and probably had mass appeal the way the Starcruiser struggled to.

The Starcruiser was something I would consider if it was cheaper, but I didn't feel confident "risking" that much money for a live action role playing experience where you're supposed to be an active participant.

The Void was a much smaller experience obviously but it put me in Star Wars with a nice easy to follow linear story.

For me, a scaled down Starcruiser with a similarly linear story might be appealing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, it's also happening on at least one other forum that discusses Disney/Star Wars as well. I got a couple of private messages last night confirming it. Not that it wasn't pretty obvious what is going on, LOL.
Speaking of…do they miss me? I sure hope not 🤪

And I do hope that whole - embezzlement/discriminatory/abusive workplace stuff is going well for them. 👍🏻

Disney sent out these paid surveys to the absolute die hards who kept going until the end, and a group of them think that by breaking the NDA and leaking it, and then suddenly coming out of the woodwork on influential message boards that are known to be frequented by Disney and talking it up, that they somehow are going to "Save the StarCruiser" ROFL.
A little tinfoil even for me…but I can’t dismiss it.
It's cute, but as we all know futile, as Disney has already taken a tax write off on the building and the experience itself is dead.
That’s the funny part of this:
“What are they gonna do to tweak/reimagineer the starcruiser?!!”

My guess is with a wrecking ball and dumps filled with a lot for waste cans in the middle of the night.

Hide the evidence

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom