News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

MagicHappens1971

I just don’t see it as that hard , this would be the closest property to a theme park, and they would only need to solve for MK and AK and water parks and springs with less frequent trips . Heck, they could just have guests walk to HS like Contemp guests to MK or BC Guests to Epcot. And I see the windowless room issue as a non issue - the screens are there. Put something on them. Would need more outdoor resort amenities for sure though. They could play around with pricing by including food - just ditch the cosplay nonsense
This does not solve the problem….. however, I see we are getting nowhere. The problem is not the windowless rooms, the problem is not the transportation to other parks. The problem is that there is only 100 rooms, and that the space was not designed as a resort and it would cost more than it’s worth to fix that.

Also if you’re not really experiencing the “whole” thing, no one is paying $700+ a night for this.

peter11435

I just don’t see it as that hard , this would be the closest property to a theme park, and they would only need to solve for MK and AK and water parks and springs with less frequent trips . Heck, they could just have guests walk to HS like Contemp guests to MK or BC Guests to Epcot. And I see the windowless room issue as a non issue - the screens are there. Put something on them. Would need more outdoor resort amenities for sure though. They could play around with pricing by including food - just ditch the cosplay nonsense
Contemporary guests are not forced to walk to MK. Monorails are offered and used.

The economics of a 100 room hotel are never going to make sense at WDW. A single building at pop century has three times that many.

mlayton144

Contemporary guests are not forced to walk to MK. Monorails are offered and used.

The economics of a 100 room hotel are never going to make sense at WDW. A single building at pop century has three times that many.
Bus sharing with Riviera? Not feasible? It’s only 100 rooms as you state

peter11435

Bus sharing is a possibility although there are no resorts that are conveniently located making it inefficient and costly.

That wouldn’t solve the economic issues of a 100 room hotel. Transportation is not the only challenge. Even in it’s current state many hotel operations of the the starcruiser are already partnered with another resort.

MagicHappens1971

1696025104362.png

MagicHappens1971

Bus sharing is a possibility although there are no resorts that are conveniently located making it inefficient and costly.

That wouldn’t solve the economic issues of a 100 room hotel. Transportation is not the only challenge. Even in it’s current state many hotel operations of the the starcruiser are already partnered with another resort.
They share Housekeepers with Yatch/Beach and use the Riveria for guests to store luggage on departure day. The Front Office/ Concierge department is responsible for Transportation & Recreation, while F&B also shares Merch.

And the (mostly) CP staff who operate all of those lines of business are technically all “front desk/concierge”.

This experience could not operate any other way as it was not built as a resort.

I said it two pages back and when it was announced to close.

Hoop-Dee-Doo with Gaya and Light$$$aber & Bridge training as extras, maybe they'll sell day passes, who knows. But a resort? No....

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would imagine they have some plans. The “rumors” are that they can’t announce anything until after the fiscal year ends bc of the accelerated depreciation. Someone more versed in tax law would have to speak to the validity of that .
More likely that there is no money set aside to do any conversion work until the new fiscal year. New year, new budget and funds... and no existing department has to scramble to fund unplanned changes in FY22 monies.

The accelerated depreciation isn't a concern - it's not tied to the use of it. It's simply shifting when they account for the money spent. It's not the same thing as a 'write down' - where you are changing the the book value of an asset.

MagicHappens1971

More likely that there is no money set aside to do any conversion work until the new fiscal year. New year, new budget and funds... and no existing department has to scramble to fund unplanned changes in FY22 monies.
This makes more sense.

The only other thing that I will say is that all of the staff, leaders, front-line CM's, etc are being relocated starting ASAP. So let's say they do have a new plan for this, it could look a million different ways. Maybe they'll turn it into a dinner show + entertainment venue and hand it over to Galaxy's Edge ops.... Maybe they'll turn it into a dinner show + entertainment venue and attach it some other resorts leadership team. There's a million different options.

Time will tell what will happen to the Halcyon.

Sir_Cliff

I'll honestly be surprised if any other use of the facility ends up making financial sense.

It was designed to be a very specific sort of venue and all the possible scenarios regarding alternative uses just seem like they wouldn't make the margins Disney would demand due to the need to keep the whole facility up and running and the logistical issues involved with getting people over there. Even the notion of a dinner show doesn't make much sense to me as the interiors were not exactly grand and expansive. I would think if they wanted that sort of experience, they'd be better off just starting over with a new facility most likely attached to Galaxy's Edge.

lewisc

The accelerated depreciation isn't a concern - it's not tied to the use of it. It's simply shifting when they account for the money spent. It's not the same thing as a 'write down' - where you are changing the the book value of an asset.
It was reported to be a write down resulting in tax savings.

cjkeating

I appreciate people have a lot of "ideas" on what to do with the Starcruiser however I think unless you have been on it (I was lucky enough to do so in August) I don't think you realise how a) well designed it was for what is was designed to be which means b) it will be almost impossible for it to be converted to something else that isn't close to what it currently it.

I think at best we could see a one night 'package' where you tick off the lightsaber, engineering and bridge training, buffet lunch, dinner show and morning buffet breakfast and throw in a few characters.

I do fear however that this would review badly because I think what the majority of people enjoyed on the Starcruiser was the character interactions as part of the roleplaying and the scheduled events were very much secondary or only came into their own on day two when they were revisited in ways relevant to your chosen story path.

However perhaps a watered down 1 night experience would do well with the masses as it would tick a lot of Star Wars 'boxes' and not have the same price tag as the full 2 night GSC experience but it would feel like a huge loss to the many people who did visit the GSC and saw it at it's full potential.

Lilofan

World Showplace pavilion sits vacant by France and UK in Epcot most of the year unless companies rent out the building and or Food and Wine party for the senses , a $300 and up all u can eat and drink for 4pm-9pm. I would guess food and wine would part of a package experience in the defunct Star Wars hotel. If you get so drunk , check into a room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom