News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

Touchdown

Nah.. HP is bigger. HP works for kids, grewup with HP young adults, Moms AND Dads. And it has a role play element and is human relatable.

Nintendo has broad appeal in youth, but you're going to find less attraction from older Moms, etc compared to HP. A 45yr old mom is going to love HP and Wii fit, not Super Metroid :) Plus much of Nintendo's IP is not necessarily human relatable... so there is no role play, immersion like there is with HP.

Nintendo in a theme park is about being wow'd, cute, nostalgia and merchandise.
The NES was released 40 years ago, Super Mario Bros was released 37 years ago. Mom and Dad were Nintendo kids growing up. A fully expect Zelda going into the Lost Continent and Pokémon being slotted into USF so that each park has one of Nintendos most popular franchises.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The NES was released 40 years ago, Super Mario Bros was released 37 years ago. Mom and Dad were Nintendo kids growing up.

Dads were - not moms. Trust me i know when it was released… i still have my original first wave NES with rob :) and the cartridges I would ride my bike to kmart go buy :) i am the Nintendo fan. But i also recognize video game appeal is narrower than properties like HP which were renowned for their appeal to both young and old… male and female ( even stronger female than male). And move beyond mario and it narrows more.

Pokemon is huge… but it still isn’t HP in terms of broadness. Pokemon probably has more theme park possibilities than Nintendo’s other big hitters.

I’d support them changing men in black to something metroid tho :)

Touchdown

Dads were - not moms. Trust me i know when it was released… i still have my original first wave NES with rob :) and the cartridges I would ride my bike to kmart go buy :) i am the Nintendo fan. But i also recognize video game appeal is narrower than properties like HP which were renowned for their appeal to both young and old… male and female ( even stronger female than male). And move beyond mario and it narrows more.

Pokemon is huge… but it still isn’t HP in terms of broadness. Pokemon probably has more theme park possibilities than Nintendo’s other big hitters.

I’d support them changing men in black to something metroid tho :)
I wish Nintendo would green light a Metroid HHN maze, just think Mother Brain, Metroids, Ridley, Kraid…. I think the heavy hitter Nintendo franchises are a special case, those 3 franchises (Mario, Zelda, Pokémon) games have constantly been one of the best selling games year after year. People are attached to them, and for your fears of Zelda I can’t tell you how many teens I’ve seen lately sporting shirts with the Royal Crest of Hyrule, it’s very relevant l.

erasure fan1

Dads were - not moms. Trust me i know when it was released…
More boys played video games for sure. But the one game that broke that mold was Mario. I knew just as many girls who played Mario as guys.
But i also recognize video game appeal is narrower than properties like HP which were renowned for their appeal to both young and old… male and female ( even stronger female than male)
I guess it depends. I wouldn't really say it's more appealing. I'm not going to say it's less appealing either. But my non scientific research says the potter books have sold 500mil copies over 8 books. The original Mario has sold 430mil ish copies by itself. Over 800mil if you all the games. They both have large appeal, but they do have a slightly different demo. Mario appeals more to the 4 to 7ish demo and also your maybe 35yr+ male. But like you said, potter can skew more female.

flynnibus

Premium Member
More boys played video games for sure. But the one game that broke that mold was Mario. I knew just as many girls who played Mario as guys.

I guess it depends. I wouldn't really say it's more appealing. I'm not going to say it's less appealing either. But my non scientific research says the potter books have sold 500mil copies over 8 books. The original Mario has sold 430mil ish copies by itself. Over 800mil if you all the games. They both have large appeal, but they do have a slightly different demo. Mario appeals more to the 4 to 7ish demo and also your maybe 35yr+ male. But like you said, potter can skew more female.

It's a fallacy to look at absolute sales numbers when talking about how broad the appeal of something is. If one game nerd buys 10 mario games is not the same as 10 different people of different demographics buying said games. Appeal and reach are not measured in sales units.

Awareness also does not equate to being a consumer. Yes, everyone knows who Mario is, but how many of those actually will spend their limited resources on it?

Halo is a great example of these principals in action. Within the video game world, of course everyone knows Halo, and it's put on a pedestal. The Master Chief is highly recognizable even outside of the video game world. The franchise is more then 20yrs old now, it's spanned generations. Yet... it hasn't been made into a major studio film... or had much success outside of it's primary demographic. Look at Doom... even a more monumental title in terms of significance or awareness... yet it too fails to carry the key pieces that lead to broad appeal and success in the mass market outside of gamers.

It's not just about being 'successful' when looking at what kind of properties you want to invest in for theme park attractions that are designed to last decades. They need to consider the economics and demographics of their theme parks.. and how this property can be exploited in those streams they care about. Appeal, draw, approachability, merchandising, placemaking, character marketing, immersion abilities, ability to integrate externally with existing properties, staying power, etc. Yes some brands like Mario fit well... but it's a tall ask. Then, to take to the level of trying to construct entire lands? The bar is raised even higher.

Think to HUGE properties like Batman, Superman, etc... and then compare to what has been done with HP. It should be very eye opening when you step back and look at how special HP is in it's ability to appeal and fit into ideas like merchandise, placemaking, characters, etc. It's a juggernaut.

UNCgolf

Where are you getting those numbers? The original Super Mario Bros. for NES sold like 40 million, not 430 million, and even that's misleading because it was a pack-in (i.e. any applicable NES purchase was also counted as a Super Mario Bros. purchase). The only video games that have sold over 100 million as individual titles are Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto V, and maybe Tetris. Possibly Skyrim due to the many rereleases across multiple console generations, but I don't think it's topped 100m even with that, and Tetris, Minecraft, and GTAV all benefit from multiple releases to varying extents too.

Mario Kart 8 is by far the highest selling Mario title at roughly 65 million copies. Super Mario Bros. is second; nothing else has sold more than 30 mil and a lot of Mario titles have only sold 1-2 million (although those are generally smaller offshoot games and not the main entries).

Last edited:

erasure fan1

It's a fallacy to look at absolute sales numbers when talking about how broad the appeal of something is. If one game nerd buys 10 mario games is not the same as 10 different people of different demographics buying said games.
But I was comparing 8 different books to one game. And that is pretty equal. And if you go multiple games, obviously Mario wins.
The Master Chief is highly recognizable even outside of the video game world. The franchise is more then 20yrs old now, it's spanned generations. Yet... it hasn't been made into a major studio film...
I don't think Master Chief is all that recognized outside of the games circle. And it got a high profile show at about the same time as Mario got a movie. But lets be ral, Halo hasn't been that killer software in a long time. An I'm an Xbox guy. The problem with video games as movies is they haven't figured out the formula yet. Just like comic movies. The original X-Men film blew the doors wide open and everyone followed.
They need to consider the economics and demographics of their theme parks.. and how this property can be exploited in those streams they care about. Appeal, draw, approachability, merchandising, placemaking, character marketing, immersion abilities, ability to integrate externally with existing properties, staying power, etc.
I'm pretty sure you just described Mario there. It hits every one those marks. And it's staying power has been significantly longer than Potter. Again, I don't think one is a better ip to use. I just wouldn't discount Mario. And realistically, if Avatar has shown us anything, it's that a well themed land with a top flight ride almost always trumps the ip anyway.

erasure fan1

Where are you getting those numbers? The original Super Mario Bros. for NES sold like 40 million, and even that's misleading because it was a pack-in (i.e. any applicable NES purchase was also counted as a Super Mario Bros. purchase).
Sorry I should have said mainline not original Mario, not the spin-offs.

UNCgolf

I think each of the individual HP books sold significantly more copies than any individual Mario game has ever sold, including Mario Kart 8's 65 million.

That said, it's a relatively meaningless comparison. They're very different forms of media. An individual video game costs a lot more than an individual book, but a book is more likely to be shared with multiple people than a video game (not that video games aren't shared too, but not anywhere near the level of books), as two examples. There are too many other factors involved for that data to be really helpful in either direction.

twilight mitsuk

I think each of the individual HP books sold significantly more copies than any individual Mario game has ever sold, including Mario Kart 8's 65 million.

That said, it's a relatively meaningless comparison. They're very different forms of media. An individual video game costs a lot more than an individual book, but a book is more likely to be shared with multiple people than a video game (not that video games aren't shared too, but not anywhere near the level of books), as two examples. There are too many other factors involved for that data to be really helpful in either direction.
And books can be used anytime and anywhere

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, I don't think one is a better ip to use. I just wouldn't discount Mario
Im not - I responded to the comment that stated “The Nintendo IP is going to be as big of a draw as HP”

To which i say… scoreboard in the theme parks. As you mentioned Mario is teice as old as HP. Yet HP is going to have 3x the lands :)

Mike S

I believe Pac-Man was actually first to break that mold. Later on one of the reasons Tetris was packed in with the Game Boy was for the same reason of attracting everyone rather than just boys.

Both games have fairly known quotes tied to them on this subject of appealing to everyone with the Pac-Man one being a bit, out there to say the least lol

Toru Iwatani:
I thought that one of the things women like to do is eat. So I started working on a game concept based on eating.

Henk Rogers:
I told him (Minoru Arakawa), if you want little boys to play Game Boy, pack in Mario—but if you want everyone to play Game Boy, pack in Tetris.

Mario does indeed appeal to a very wide amount of people but I think it does skew a bit more male. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Peach, Daisy, and Toadette will be playable in Mario Wonder and Peach is also getting her first solo game since the original she had on the DS next year. Nintendo might have gotten the idea that they’re leaving money on the table by not pushing their Princesses/female Mario characters a bit more but they also have the smarts to not sideline Mario & Luigi in the process.

Last edited:

dmw

In the Parks
No
Woah! Memories of ancient times... I was working at K-mart in the appliance dept when NES with Rob came out. I remember having to unlock the glass cases to get the cartridges out for NES along with the Commodore Vic-20 and 64, and similar antiques.

SpectreJordan

How many mom's over 30 have a history, love and nostalgia for Zelda, Mario, etc?

The kind of trends we are talking about here are set in generations.... not one SM movie.

The difference between a parent taking their kid to something they are excited about... and a situation where every family member is excited about.... is HUGE.
Over 30? Probably not many. But there's plenty of women in their 20s who grew up with Zelda & are becoming mothers right now.

Zelda's probably one of the most popular game series with women.

celluloid

Just anecdotally, my mother, daughter, and sister all play Zelda games.

It is what my son keeps begging for, and he likes playing the last one still too. He started playing it due to my wife's youngest sister who is 17 and she definitely loves it. As for my son, he plays the originals on Nintendo Online, so the entire argument thing against is just kind of null. Its a zeitgeist in itself.

MagicRat

1693750230924.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom