News Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser Permanently Closed Fall 2023

UNCgolf

I mean, how are you defining "reach", and what are you basing that on? Mario Kart 8 sold around the same number of copies as Deathly Hallows, and for many people, "Nintendo" is synonymous with video games, comparable to "Kleenex" with facial tissue. The Mario movie has sold somewhere in the realm of 168 million tickets, whereas Sorcerer's Stone, the film with the highest ticket sales in the franchise, sold around 164 million. I don't disagree that the demographics are probably skewed in very different ways, but it feels like it has somewhat comparable reach if you're pulling in similar numbers.

All-time revenue as of 2021:
View attachment 739238

That Harry Potter happens to be particularly well-suited to a theme park experience does not mean that it necessarily has broader reach. The Mushroom Kingdom is simply not as compelling a place to visit, and related merchandise is not as diverse or intricate (and can mostly be picked up at your local Target to boot). HP has been insane for parks because Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and Diagon Alley are places people want to go and experience. I may like Mario as a character, but I don't really care about what's over the next hemispherical hill.

...But I suppose this has gotten off topic. I'll leave it at that.

I said video games in general, not Mario specifically -- Mario is a pretty significant outlier and no other video game IP is remotely comparable (unless you consider Pokemon a video game IP, but it's always been cross-media and I don't think it's accurate to consider it a video game IP). Mario has been around for over 40 years and has something like 80 titles (maybe more) across various genres, which also makes it difficult to compare to anything else in total revenue. Some Mario titles (like Mario Kart 8) have massive sales, but the average Mario game sells a small fraction of that. Mario Kart 8 has sold like 30 million more than any other Mario game (except the original NES Super Mario Bros., but that doesn't really count because it came as a pack-in with the NES -- almost impossible to know how many people would have purchased it separately).

Regardless, your second paragraph is the same point I made when this was discussed earlier (about the appeal of visiting a theme park land), so I don't think we really disagree about the theme park component. And yes, we're really off topic now so I'll also leave it at that.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Most people 50 and under have positive feelings about Nintendo, they may not be into playing every game but they're not going to be like "I heard Princess Peach was racist" or "Mario ruined my childhood." It's something cute that everybody knows about, like the Star Wars OT characters.
Yoshi is a child trafficker.

MrPromey

Man oh man. I know it’s niche but a Metroid attraction would have me mortgaging my home to get into the USO/IOA/EU park.

In fact, they could easily refurb MiB:AA to a Metroid shooter. Easily gets Nintendo into USO.

If you’ll excuse me I need to type some emails up
Okay - now hear me out:

Maybe, Universal could construct a boutique hotel limited-two-night-stay LARPing-light experience just, like, maybe a quarter of a mile from the park and then provide some sort of vehicle transport to the back of Super Nintendo Land where people could experience the Metroid attraction with no wait.

There could be special food at a restaurant with a Chozo lounge singer.

They'd probably have to charge a lot for it but I'm sure the masses would swarm the place and it would be booked solid for at least the first four or five years!

😈

LSLS

I think without the Galaxy’s Edge excursion the product would be even less appealing to the masses and also would’ve required a much larger space with more “activity spaces”.

(Ive mentioned this a million times, but former crew member) If you have all that time just to walk around the “ship”, you realize How small it is.
Interesting. Honestly, that was a major negative for me personally. I only get 2 days on the ship, and half a day is spent in a different place I've been to already.

Bleed0range

As cool as this starcruiser was in theory, I would have vastly preferred a Star Wars hotel that just looked like a crashed star destroyer or something. It could have been a similar vibe, just with less of a “show” to it to require so many actors on 24/7.

IMG_5701.jpeg

Like this except not as damaged and old looking. It could be on its side where windows on the Star destroyer were windows to the rooms. The entrance could be through the center exhaust port on the back engines.

There could still be places to explore like an “engine room” and what not. There could be direct theming surrounding the hotel. So it feels like part of Batuu.

Or just a regular hotel with a Star Wars theme would have even been okay. Where it’s not so heavily themed.

EeyoreFan#24

The burning question is what will they do with the transport bus? Food truck?
Wait for their other trucks to break and switch the box? Maybe?

One day somebody will be driving a laundry truck at Ft. Wilderness with some weird extra buttons.

Wait for their other trucks to break and switch the box?

drnilescrane

Someone will buy it at the Van Eaton galleries for $70,000 in a decade.
OT, but I don't get why they're tolerated by TWDC... unless Van Eaton are somehow useful to them. How are they different from a fencing syndicate?

Seems like a pretty easy organization to make an example of.

Tha Realest

OT, but I don't get why they're tolerated by TWDC... unless Van Eaton are somehow useful to them. How are they different from a fencing syndicate?

Seems like a pretty easy organization to make an example of.
I believe VE sells those things that have been acquired by private collectors.

Which begs the question how someone gets in the position to make said acquisition in the first place.

MrPromey

Interesting. Honestly, that was a major negative for me personally. I only get 2 days on the ship, and half a day is spent in a different place I've been to already.
Except the alternative would have been them having to build out the experience on the ship way more which would have cost a lot more for them to do. Offloading you to the theme park for half a day was double-dipping that theme park experience which I'm sure is a big part of what made this appealing to them from the start.

FettFan

As cool as this starcruiser was in theory, I would have vastly preferred a Star Wars hotel that just looked like a crashed star destroyer or something. It could have been a similar vibe, just with less of a “show” to it to require so many actors on 24/7.

View attachment 739325

Like this except not as damaged and old looking. It could be on its side where windows on the Star destroyer were windows to the rooms. The entrance could be through the center exhaust port on the back engines.

There could still be places to explore like an “engine room” and what not. There could be direct theming surrounding the hotel. So it feels like part of Batuu.

Or just a regular hotel with a Star Wars theme would have even been okay. Where it’s not so heavily themed.

Or after the godawful nonsense that was "Rise of Skywalker".... build a hotel out of a hunk of the Death Star.
its-useful-the-death-star-wreckage-landed-the-way-it-did-imagine-if-it-had-been-upside-down.jpeg

*gag*

Or Mega Maid, since pieces of it surviving to crash on the coast of a distant planet actually made sense in the context of its movie.
U1Nwg.jpg

asianway

I believe VE sells those things that have been acquired by private collectors.

Which begs the question how someone gets in the position to make said acquisition in the first place.
That, is a very good question. There were only so many Dumbos auctioned off at the Disneyana Conventions

Animaniac93-98

That's why I thought originally Starcruiser guests would get access to Galaxy's Edge before or after hours, something unique just for them instead of going when everyone else who didn't pay as much did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom