News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser - Guest reports from March 1 2022

_caleb

There's just no time to visit EPCOT during the stay. Every single minute is filled with game play. And you wouldn't want to any other way - two days is just barely on the right side of exhausting. Three days isn't feasible, and I wouldn't want to do it for that long. And one day isn't enough time to do it.

The first day really starts at check-in, and goes for like 9 straight hours.

The only real downtime I had on Day 2 was about 45 minutes during the Batuu session, where I managed to bop over to Mickey and Minnie Starring in Red Carpet Dreams, for some character selfies for the rest of my on-ship story.
Yes, this was my understanding. But so many Parks fans seem to misunderstand what the experience is (or is supposed to be). They continue to evaluate it (negatively) as though it were meant to be a typical resort.
I've been saying we should look at it like an open-world video game.

dreday3

I did some of the First Order stuff on Day 1. What I did was a lot of the basic "explore the ship" background stuff.

There's a polarizing event at the end of Day 1 that's essentially your indicator that you need to pick sides for Day 2. I chose the Resistance. I think that you have to be Resistance (and do several other things) to see the Yoda hologram on Day 2.

Some (many?) of the people who sided with the First Order throughout the voyage got a special shout-out from Lt. Croy during his big speech at the end. There was one kid - I think her name was Elizabeth - and Croy did a line at the end of his big speech like "ELIZABETH!!! I SHALL NEVER FORGET YOUR LOYALTY!!"

That's so fun! I would definitely go with the First Order. It's good to be bad...😂

lentesta

Premium Member
Yes, this was my understanding. But so many Parks fans seem to misunderstand what the experience is (or is supposed to be). They continue to evaluate it (negatively) as though it were meant to be a typical resort.
I've been saying we should look at it like an open-world video game.

I talked to a nice family from NY state, who said they booked the Starcruiser because "they'd done it all already" in Walt Disney World.

They didn't create a backstory, they didn't participate in any of the game - they sat back, ate, and observed.

At the departure breakfast, I asked them how they liked it. They said "It was nice - we checked the box to say we did it, but we probably won't do it again." (When I relayed this to my wife, she said "They didn't do it the first time. ?")

It makes no sense to pay $5K for this and not go all-in on the whole "The Force is real and I'd die for this droid" spirit in which the game is intended.

sedati

HONEST POST!

I"m seeing a lot of reactions now calling themselves "honest," which honestly, raises my suspicions. Oddly, what's been selling me on some videos that I've been watching is length and editing quality. Seeing some genuine effort put into the presentation really makes me think their more genuine about what they're saying. Shills tend to do the bare minimum. The fandom menace tends to do even less.

mergatroid

HONEST POST!

I"m seeing a lot of reactions now calling themselves "honest," which honestly, raises my suspicions. Oddly, what's been selling me on some videos that I've been watching is length and editing quality. Seeing some genuine effort put into the presentation really makes me think their more genuine about what they're saying. Shills tend to do the bare minimum. The fandom menace tends to do even less.
I think what you're seeing there is people who are fully aware that social media and internet forums have been awash with people making early judgement calls on this experience without waiting to see it properly before doing so? Then we got the "All vloggers and media people are not to be trusted because they didn't pay" when we started hearing contradictory reports to the negative 'expectations'.

Had the above not happened then I doubt the word 'honest' would have appeared in the title. They're either being clear that they've paid so doubters will watch, or being a bit clever thinking saying 'honest' might make haters of this experience watch thinking incorrectly that they're going to say they don't like it? There were so many people hoping that this would fall flat on it's face that there's probably lot's desperately searching for bad paying guest reviews, though up to now they seem to be quite difficult to find. That's not to say anyone with valid concerns over this experience wanted it to fail, it's more targeted to those who were slapping each other on the back saying "I can't wait for paying guests to start reviewing this disaster, popcorn at the ready 🍿🍿🍿". I think the popcorn must have gone off as those folks have gone very quiet?

Last edited:

TikibirdLand

From the videos I've seen (both media and paying customers), I think the experience is cute and I could see how people are pulled into the story, much like Colonial Williamsbury or Pilmouth Colony (LOVE those places!). I'm also a big fan of dinner theater and escape rooms. I could see this being up my alley. It's very spacy. But, if you take Chewey out of this, it could be something out of any good, generic space-themed event. Actors look first class. If you take them out of the ship (saw some video taken late at night or when others where on Batuu), it looks like a Star Trek movie set.

It looks like a neat experience. But, I don't know that it's a $5000 neat experience. I know, pp, it's "only" $2500 if you get enough people to go with you. That seems to be the consensus here. I agree with that. I just got done putting a $7000 engine in my daughter's Camry. So, I do have something to compare the experience to. I would have rather spent it on the cruise!

tiger04

I got off the second voyage (March 3-5) yesterday and I am happy to share my thoughts and answer any questions anyone might have! I have been lurking here for a while reading everyone’s predictions and thoughts about the Galactic Starcruiser and it has been fascinating. But I decided to stop lurking to provide a first-hand report.

I agree with a lot of many of the comments/thoughts in the Reddit post but I would push back a bit that a “Star Wars purist” would not enjoy the experience. My group consisted of those who have loved Star Wars since they were kids, those who enjoy Star Wars but do not embrace the fandom aspect, and those who are familiar but could not name many characters. And we all enjoyed the voyage!! Plus I find deciding who a “true fan” is or is not to be bizarre.

The Galactic Starcruiser is completely different than anything I have done at Disney before (and anything Disney has done before). And the cast members are truly outstanding - from the characters on the ship who remember names and interactions with the passengers, to the crew who are there to assist you with anything and truly commit to acting like you are a passenger on a Starcruiser, to the cast members on Batuu who see your Halcyon pin and ask you about your voyage and interact with you as though you are a passenger on an excursion from your ship.

It is an exhausting experience because by the time you board the ship until the end of the second night you are given tasks and interacting with characters in the story. A lot of those tasks are prompted by your “datapad” (like the first voyage, we were provided iPhones to use with the playdisney app loaded on, which was nice but got cumbersome to carry both phones around). But you have other experiences randomly - sitting in the lounge and having a drink, a character can come up, sit with you, and pull you into a story. Or wandering into the climate simulation room, you might meet a Saja and have an experience with the Force. And even if you decide not to engage in the story, you can watch stories happening while just sitting in the atrium having drinks and snacks.

I was in a standard cabin and it was actually bigger than I thought based on pictures! That said you are barely in your room anyway so if you value more space, a one bedroom or captain’s suite would be nice but you most likely won’t be lounging in your room anyway. I found the food to be interesting - some items appealed to me more than others - and no one in my family needed to order takeout!

Some frustrating things that I hope change as they get more voyages under your belt - I will be so happy when you can go on one of these trips without seeing vloggers with fuzzy mics and cameras. They were everywhere! Boarding was backed up (we arrived right before 1 and didn’t arrive on the ship until 1:40 or so) and the trip to Batuu had a similar wait (we arrived at our time but did not board the infamous boxcar until 20 minutes later). And you do see the same people literally push to the front of any task or interaction (children and adults!) so I’m not sure how to make that more fair (or if that’s even possible)

But on the whole I thought it was a wonderful, exhausting experience that is completely unique. For me it was worth the price, but I understand that it a personal concept.

I am happy to provide more specific info or answer questions.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I got off the second voyage (March 3-5) yesterday and I am happy to share my thoughts and answer any questions anyone might have! I have been lurking here for a while reading everyone’s predictions and thoughts about the Galactic Starcruiser and it has been fascinating. But I decided to stop lurking to provide a first-hand report.

I agree with a lot of many of the comments/thoughts in the Reddit post but I would push back a bit that a “Star Wars purist” would not enjoy the experience. My group consisted of those who have loved Star Wars since they were kids, those who enjoy Star Wars but do not embrace the fandom aspect, and those who are familiar but could not name many characters. And we all enjoyed the voyage!! Plus I find deciding who a “true fan” is or is not to be bizarre.

The Galactic Starcruiser is completely different than anything I have done at Disney before (and anything Disney has done before). And the cast members are truly outstanding - from the characters on the ship who remember names and interactions with the passengers, to the crew who are there to assist you with anything and truly commit to acting like you are a passenger on a Starcruiser, to the cast members on Batuu who see your Halcyon pin and ask you about your voyage and interact with you as though you are a passenger on an excursion from your ship.

It is an exhausting experience because by the time you board the ship until the end of the second night you are given tasks and interacting with characters in the story. A lot of those tasks are prompted by your “datapad” (like the first voyage, we were provided iPhones to use with the playdisney app loaded on, which was nice but got cumbersome to carry both phones around). But you have other experiences randomly - sitting in the lounge and having a drink, a character can come up, sit with you, and pull you into a story. Or wandering into the climate simulation room, you might meet a Saja and have an experience with the Force. And even if you decide not to engage in the story, you can watch stories happening while just sitting in the atrium having drinks and snacks.

I was in a standard cabin and it was actually bigger than I thought based on pictures! That said you are barely in your room anyway so if you value more space, a one bedroom or captain’s suite would be nice but you most likely won’t be lounging in your room anyway. I found the food to be interesting - some items appealed to me more than others - and no one in my family needed to order takeout!

Some frustrating things that I hope change as they get more voyages under your belt - I will be so happy when you can go on one of these trips without seeing vloggers with fuzzy mics and cameras. They were everywhere! Boarding was backed up (we arrived right before 1 and didn’t arrive on the ship until 1:40 or so) and the trip to Batuu had a similar wait (we arrived at our time but did not board the infamous boxcar until 20 minutes later). And you do see the same people literally push to the front of any task or interaction (children and adults!) so I’m not sure how to make that more fair (or if that’s even possible)

But on the whole I thought it was a wonderful, exhausting experience that is completely unique. For me it was worth the price, but I understand that it a personal concept.

For the sake of the "no true guest" fallacy:

Are you a travel agent or v/blogger?

tiger04

For the sake of the "no true guest" fallacy:

Are you a travel agent or v/blogger?

Ha - no I am not a travel agent or v/blogger and frankly was puzzled by all the guests there who were because I think it is hard to truly experience it when you are behind a camera the entire time!

I suppose I fit into the strange category of people who did an early voyage without lookinh for any clicks/likes/subscribes.

mergatroid

Paying guest who is also a Disney travel agent.
Are they? Wipe that one off the list of people you can believe then. Strangely their opinion so far matches most other reviews I've seen (all in fact) where people who've paid have had a great time. It could be that coincidentally they're the only ones who've hated it and lied through their teeth, though all things considered the odds are in the favour of them liking it. I suppose if they make money selling this event they have a big incentive to 'enjoy it' so we'll discount it and call it a 'neutral' or not applicable review in the interest of fairness.

GimpYancIent

Are they? Wipe that one off the list of people you can believe then. Strangely their opinion so far matches most other reviews I've seen (all in fact) where people who've paid have had a great time. It could be that coincidentally they're the only ones who've hated it and lied through their teeth, though all things considered the odds are in the favour of them liking it. I suppose if they make money selling this event they have a big incentive to 'enjoy it' so we'll discount it and call it a 'neutral' or not applicable review in the interest of fairness.
My impression of the reviews thus far are people that have gotten their heads into what they are doing enjoyed themselves and gotten what they paid for. I am not seeing any "I cannot wait to do it again" or "I have to come back" commentary yet. I see many comments that the experience is expensive. So, my take is that where the reviews indicate this is a fun experience it's not 6+K price range fun. That's my impression so far.

mergatroid

Are you 100% sure you didn't hate it really and just haven't thought about it enough as that theory has been muted before? Are you also 100% sure that 'the new car smell effect' hasn't clouded your judgement? Apparently that's a thing nowadays. The theory is that when you buy a new car it's the clean, shiny look, along with the smell that tricks you into thinking it's good. When that wears off you realise that you don't enjoy it as much and so it doesn't feel as good value as it once did.

What's never been explained in that analogy is there's a big difference between the two comparisons. One (the new car) you buy and own so use everyday, the other (the 2 day experience) is never yours to own and is experienced once so isn't something you do repeatedly. I've come to the conclusion it's a terrible analogy really, brought up in desperation to claw back some negativity? Even the 'new car' part seems a stretch as the same thing happens with new clothes, after a bit you don't feel as good in them as they become the norm. Heck almost everything you buy eventually loses a bit of it's former joy once you're used to it, how this compares to something you never owned is honestly quite bewildering?

Your last get out I can think of is "Are you sure nobody has drugged you and skewed your ability to judge it properly" or "Are you being blackmailed into saying you enjoyed it"?

If the answer is still no then congratulations, it looks like you paid and enjoyed it. Thanks for posting your fair review, I'm sure there'll be parts they get wrong and this experience does seem extremely expensive and certainly not for everyone. However I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Last edited:

mergatroid

My impression of the reviews thus far are people that have gotten their heads into what they are doing enjoyed themselves and gotten what they paid for. I am not seeing any "I cannot wait to do it again" or "I have to come back" commentary yet. I see many comments that the experience is expensive. So, my take is that where the reviews indicate this is a fun experience it's not 6+K price range fun. That's my impression so far.
I posted a paying guest review the other day on here by a couple where the husband says he's saving already to do it again as soon as possible. His wife said she had a blast but that she thought it overpriced for what she got from it and she wouldn't do it again for that price.

Resort TV (who were comped a stay at the media event) said that they loved it so much that they were going to start saving to pay for a stay as soon as they can afford it. I'm not sure that's a cut and dry win though as they're vloggers so they may make money from their vlog being watched when they return? I've no idea what they make from youtube so I suppose it's difficult to judge whether them paying $5,000 will generate them more in return or an amount that will make the trip considerably more affordable or not? However 2 from about 12 reviews I've watched have said they'd return. Early days yet though to be fair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom