News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
As much as I would like to see something like that work I think the bigger issue is the guests not really going for it. Sure the fans will come through for the first few weeks and love it, but the average guests I just don't think are going to buy into this immersive play out a story locked in a hotel type thing. I would love to be wrong about that and see them expand the idea to other themes as well, but yeah I think this thing has about a 5% chance of ever happening.

The trick will be, how big to make the hotel. They are going to need to match the number of rooms to the expected demand. I don't see this being a 1000 room hotel. I also think it's possible that if it doesn't work out, they could drop a lot of the interactive elements and just turn it into a normal hotel with a Star Wars theme with a lower price point.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The trick will be, how big to make the hotel. They are going to need to match the number of rooms to the expected demand. I don't see this being a 1000 room hotel. I also think it's possible that if it doesn't work out, they could drop a lot of the interactive elements and just turn it into a normal hotel with a Star Wars theme with a lower price point.

I was thinking this too. But I’m looking at this as more of a cruise ship type scenario. Spend your time on the “ship” then transfer to a standard hotel on property. Disney does not want you spending 2 days at the Star Wars hotel and then leaving to go home.

SJN1279

Instead of Star Wars building momentum as we head into Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, the property is actually losing a bit of steam. Very mixed fan feedback to The Last Jedi, poor video game and merch sales, and major Han Solo delays. I am sure that Disney is very concerned, and I don't believe that Kathleen Kennedy will be the head of Lucasfilm in 2019. Episode 9 has to be big in order to right the ship, and new blood is needed at the top.

jaxonp

The evil empire is falling.
TFA nearly smashed all records due to Star Wars thirst. 2.06 B
R1 ends up very close 2nd for the year. 1.05 B
TLJ ends up number 1 for the year. 1.32 B

Let me remind everyone the TFA did way beyond expectations and set the bar rediculously high. The phantom menace did the same exact thing. Look at the drop off from PM to tCW. Star Wars is fine. I would agree Merch has been a little weak but they will adjust that and get new people in if they haven’t already! Y’all need to take several seats. Star Wars is the biggest franchise in movie history and it’s not going to go away because TLJ didn’t make 400 million dollars in China. News flash the mighty Force Awakens did like 120 mil there. And also Disney isn’t building SWGE in China either.

All numbers can be found at the-numbers.com

No Name

To say that just because the movie made a ton of money means the franchise is healthy is flawed. If a theme park makes a ton of money, does that necessarily mean the business is healthy? No. If movie 9 doesn't make more than TLJ, or if it gets similarly-mixed fan reviews, or if merchandise sales go down further, then I wonder what the argument will be. I'm not suggesting one way or the other, just saying that box office numbers aren't the best indicator. Disney built a land based on the highest-grossing movie of all time too!

But Star Wars is pretty much dead in China. The Solo film is being rebranded.

No Name

Exactly. Nobody cared about Avatar, have you seen how busy that place is?

Oh lord. I don't see your point but it doesn't sound like a good one.

Pretty much nobody cared about Avatar, that is very true. More people cared about Disney's Animal Kingdom, hence their marketing angle. This was WDW's biggest new attraction this decade and so it drew crowds. Crowds not nearly as large as Potter or even Cars Land but presumably good for a park that already had high attendance. Unfortunately Flight of Passage has a horrid hourly capacity, and so lines are twice as long as they should be. However, banshees are selling very well because FoP is a popular ride, probably not because your 7-year-old loves a movie that he has never heard of. Hopefully that covers whatever point you're trying to make. We're off topic.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think anyone who doubts the popularity of Star Wars.. from 4 year olds to adults.. is trying to convince themself of something that doesn’t exist, but they wish would exist.

Why the hate and wishful fantastical thinking?..I wish I knew.
Although, It is oddly amusing. ;)

This discussion isn't really about whether Star Wars is popular, or if it's making money, the discussion is about whether Disney feels Star Wars is living up to it's expectations and how skittish they will get if it's not.

21stamps

This discussion isn't really about whether Star Wars is popular, or if it's making money, the discussion is about whether Disney feels Star Wars is living up to it's expectations and how skittish they will get if it's not.

I think that’s a different thread. It’s probably over 500 pages by now.

jaxonp

Oh lord. I don't see your point but it doesn't sound like a good one.

You don't see my point AND it doesn't sound like a good one. lol

I like that you can determine something isn't a good point when you admit that you can't see it. That's next level.

nickys

Premium Member
As much as I would like to see something like that work I think the bigger issue is the guests not really going for it. Sure the fans will come through for the first few weeks and love it, but the average guests I just don't think are going to buy into this immersive play out a story locked in a hotel type thing. I would love to be wrong about that and see them expand the idea to other themes as well, but yeah I think this thing has about a 5% chance of ever happening.

DH is a big follower of the Sci Fi fan sites and online Star Wars and fantasy gaming and what have you. People who would never even think of setting foot in a Disney theme park were onto this like a shot. It went completely mental. Then you have the whole role-playing, Comic Con types too.

Never mind the price, these guys would be booking this solid for months. And many may not do anything else onsite.

s8film40

DH is a big follower of the Sci Fi fan sites and online Star Wars and fantasy gaming and what have you. People who would never even think of setting foot in a Disney theme park were onto this like a shot. It went completely mental. Then you have the whole role-playing, Comic Con types too.

Never mind the price, these guys would be booking this solid for months. And many may not do anything else onsite.
Yeah, I'm tempted to do it myself if it happens and I hate SW. I love the concept, the only issue I see is when those "months" of fans or those who want to see this type of thing dry up then what. It's got a very high price point so doing it multiple times probably isn't an option for the overwhelming majority. I think you have to be really into SW or really into this type of immersive thing to spend that kind of money. For the average guests this is an extremely high priced add-on for people who probably wouldn't want to play along anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom