News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

s8film40

I'm not a SW fan, but I really loved the idea of this hotel and the immersive storytelling. That being said my very first reaction was that it'll never happen. I will be completely shocked if it ever happens, and even if it did I have a feeling the whole concept would just shift to a regular themed hotel very quickly.

HauntedMansionFLA

I'm not a SW fan, but I really loved the idea of this hotel and the immersive storytelling. That being said my very first reaction was that it'll never happen. I will be completely shocked if it ever happens, and even if it did I have a feeling the whole concept would just shift to a regular themed hotel very quickly.
I could see it as a DVC Resort Hotel.

the.dreamfinder

The resort feels like the one of first things to be cancelled when the next recession comes. Disney may like the idea of charging boutique rates and upcharging vacation packages, but the operating and maintenance expenses of a SW hotel make it a less profitable venture.

s8film40

The resort feels like the one of first things to be cancelled when the next recession comes. Disney may like the idea of charging boutique rates and upcharging vacation packages, but the operating and maintenance expenses of a SW hotel make it a less profitable venture.
As much as I would like to see something like that work I think the bigger issue is the guests not really going for it. Sure the fans will come through for the first few weeks and love it, but the average guests I just don't think are going to buy into this immersive play out a story locked in a hotel type thing. I would love to be wrong about that and see them expand the idea to other themes as well, but yeah I think this thing has about a 5% chance of ever happening.

Movielover

Agreed, but if they thought killing Luke Skywalker off was going to bring rave fan reviews, they're truly clueless.

Except he didn't get killed. He passed on and became one with the Force like every Jedi Master before him has, this after accomplishing one of the most amazingly awesome feats of using the Force ever shown onscreen. The character had a natural end to his arc that started all the way back in A New Hope while also leaving the option for him to reappear in future movies as a Force Ghost. If you think they simply "killed him off" then you sir, are the clueless one!

Sir_Cliff

As much as I would like to see something like that work I think the bigger issue is the guests not really going for it. Sure the fans will come through for the first few weeks and love it, but the average guests I just don't think are going to buy into this immersive play out a story locked in a hotel type thing. I would love to be wrong about that and see them expand the idea to other themes as well, but yeah I think this thing has about a 5% chance of ever happening.
I am firmly in the category of people who wouldn't be interested in a role-playing hotel experience. I don't doubt there is a market for this kind of experience, but I do wonder how large and sustainable it is. It will also be interesting to see how the logistics of a completely immersive hotel work within the context of Walt Disney World. The only way I can imagine it making sense is that if people book maybe 2-3 nights in the Star Wars hotel and spend the rest of the time in another resort where they can freely wander around outdoors, catch a bus to Animal Kingdom, go to Disney Springs, etc.

smile

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2017&p=.htm

Ah yes because being the highest grossing movie of 2017 certainly means that Star Wars is dead... :rolleyes:

i-dont-care-how-much-money-you-got-you-still-lame.jpg

"Disappointment" with a movies performance is not just a matter of how much it made, but how much the production company expected it to make.

there's a difference between good numbers and strong numbers...
for example, jumanji's performance was strong.

turning him into a crotchety bum was a tad uncalled for... aaand no reason he couldn't/shouldn't have actually been there, btw - none none none

Nubs70

There is no way anyone reasonably expected TLJ to pull in anywhere near $400 million in China.

First, please note the use of "maybe".

Second, if the Chinese middle class population demographic is approaching the entire U.S. total population, why is $400 million unreasonable?

peter11435

First, please note the use of "maybe".

Second, if the Chinese middle class population demographic is approaching the entire U.S. total population, why is $400 million unreasonable?
The use of ‘maybe’ doesn’t allow you to just make up unreasonable numbers that aren’t based on fact or reality.

And $400 million is unreasonable because it’s not consistent with the Chinese box office or anyone’s actual expectations for this movie in China.

Nubs70

The use of ‘maybe’ doesn’t allow you to just make up unreasonable numbers that aren’t based on fact or reality.

And $400 million is unreasonable because it’s not consistent with the Chinese box office or anyone’s actual expectations for this movie in China.
And your source is?

smile

i think it's a bit unfair constantly throwing china in this, but, at the same time...
one has to admit that not only did tlj underperform in china, it was downright flatly rejected.

peter11435

And your source is?

I’m not the one that made a claim without a source. Where is your source? You can’t just say things that aren’t true and then demand other people prove you wrong.

I’m not going to do your homework for you, but you should start by looking at Chinese box office results and how rare anything in the neighborhood of 400 million is. Then you should look at past precedence for Star Wars films in the country. Finally there are plenty of pre-release reports out there that will give you an idea of what the actual expectations in the region were. And no.. TLJ performing completely inconsistent with prior films in the series and becoming one of the highest grossing films in China was never one of those expectations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom