News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Cesar R M

Yes, it looks like Sabacc in the cocktail lounge went from this hologram concept...

silver-c-lounge-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser.jpg

To this, (which appears to use the push button controls from an old Maytag washing machine)...

View attachment 623798
I'm surprised they did not even try to use the transparent monitor tech presented by Samsung a few years ago. Which is also present in the prototypes of flexible and transparent mini screens for cellphones.

1645696934828.png

1645696962496.png

Anyone remembers when Disney was putting top of the line cutting edge tech on most attractions?

TikibirdLand

Given the discussion on here about Peter Sciretta and Ordinary Adventures, this is an interesting comment on another YouTuber forumView attachment 623754
Sorry to say, I spotted that with their announcement of being on the maiden voyage. Frankly, it's a bit deceitful to go delete critical videos because you're pandering to the D. Their last video was so sweet, it had the viscosity of 50W gear oil.

TikibirdLand

The irony is that they could have pulled some amazing effects by trying to use similar technology as the QUANTUM CLASS of Royal Caribbean with its flexible mobile screens and multi level backship theatre.

Imagine Gaya and aliens animatronics appearing and doing REAL show like this..
not just a random singer doing random singer thing with some basic singers in some completely unassuming and unimpressive way.

And this is on a cruise ship that you can enjoy for 7 days with tons of amenities, shows, pools, ports and food included for between 1000 to 5000 USD (depending on the size of the room).

For 6k they could have built the Oasis and Quantum of the seas's 2 floor lofts with huge 3d screen.

Imagine having actually designed the rooms to use a single giant 3d screen (a la Flight of Passage) instead of tiny individual TVs.

Now, that's a WOW. Since I've never been on a cruise, I didn't really see the complaints the "entertainment" is getting here. I think the Gaya singer is good. Not sure it's even in the same league as what you linked to. Thanks @Cesar R M for that. You really put this experience into perspective!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Who is actually responsible for this? I understand the man at the top is Chapek and he deserves the blame. I doubt he was the one designing this though, just slashing the budget.

Who is responsible for the creative side of this? How where they allowed to miss the mark by this much without anyone saying anything?

If I was Chapek this never gets opened to paying customers, everyone gets a full refund. I bring in Lucus, Favreau and Filino hand them a blank check and tell them to fix this mess.
The WDI Executive creative director and Executive producer for this is Ann Morrow Johnson.

This is her linkedin profile.

Walt Disney Imagineering

8 years 10 months
  • Executive Producer & Executive Creative Director​

Aug 2018 - Present3 years 7 months
    • Executive Creative Director and Producer of Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser; responsible for overall concept, vision, and execution of the project
    • Leading large teams to design the story, facility, show, execution strategy, and guest experience
  • Creative Producer​

Mar 2016 - Aug 20182 years 6 months
    Glendale, CA
  • Assistant Project Manager​

May 2013 - Mar 20162 years 11 months
    Glendale, CA

CinematicFusion

The WDI Executive creative director and Executive producer for this is Ann Morrow Johnson.

This is her linkedin profile.

Walt Disney Imagineering

8 years 10 months
  • Executive Producer & Executive Creative Director​

Aug 2018 - Present3 years 7 months
    • Executive Creative Director and Producer of Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser; responsible for overall concept, vision, and execution of the project
    • Leading large teams to design the story, facility, show, execution strategy, and guest experience
  • Creative Producer​

Mar 2016 - Aug 20182 years 6 months
    Glendale, CA
  • Assistant Project Manager​

May 2013 - Mar 20162 years 11 months
    Glendale, CA
So the girl from the infamous hype video is the one who is responsible for Galactic Starcruiser. Wow.
C4BA5918-BC93-4F11-AAA1-5397D5BAAF21.jpeg

EPCOT-O.G.

The Bobs have become infamous for their dictates that new (or existing) attractions be infused with Disney IP.

Which is hilarious when you consider that, given how valuable the Star Wars IP is, they did everything they could to eschew the most recognizable and popular aspects of this IP in favor of new and unrelated characters and experiences!

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Isn't planetary environment simulator the Batuu equivalent of Smoking Area? Why are they stacking rocks there? I the little girl able to stack the rocks using The Force? So many questions!
Considering that there appears to be multiple activation stations my guess is yes. Move rocks via magnets or make the water flow again. Maybe. A layover from Moana.

Last edited:

MurphyJoe

Well said. The difference between this video of Walt talking about what is to become Pirates of the Carribean and the video Disney released last night, of the 2 narcissistic hipsters and some guy who looks like his family is being held hostage if he doesn't do this video, sitting at a fast food restaurant esque dinning table are night and day in tone and quality.

That guy is Scott Trowbridge, the creative who led the team for "The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman," at Universal Creative. Might be having some thoughts like "I could've been working on Epic Universe right now instead of this."

I imagine they are talking about these chairs at the "good" tables near the front of the room. They are bought off the rack, but they don't look comfortable. Especially for a space where over half your awake time "on board" is supposed to happen.

It's the low ceiling and the windowless and featureless walls that do that. The space is long and narrow and hemmed in on all sides, like a church basement. It's not attractive, and it certainly doesn't convey "luxury".

Which is odd, because for the past 150 years since the first steamships plied the Atlantic, the dining room of any cruise ship was always the largest public room and most grand and elaborately impressive space on board. But not so in Bob Chapek's universe.

A 21st Century Space Cruiser Dining Room For Upper-Middle Class Rubes Fooled by Bob Chapek.

View attachment 623786

Edited the above for space. How about the dining room of a mass market line aiming for Disney's previous demographic? The main dining room on one of Royal Caribbean's ships.

RCI_VY_MainDiningRoom_2_retouch_nm.jpg

TikibirdLand

That guy is Scott Trowbridge, the creative who led the team for "The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman," at Universal Creative. Might be having some thoughts like "I could've been working on Epic Universe right now instead of this."

Edited the above for space. How about the dining room of a mass market line aiming for Disney's previous demographic? The main dining room on one of Royal Caribbean's ships.

View attachment 623815
Now, THAT's a dining room!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom