News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

Newsflash... this was not supposed to be like a theme park. The whole purpose was to be a new and different kind of experience.

Watch most Disney resort stuff and you'll find adults enjoying the property, dining, atmosphere.
You were complaining that the promo for the Star Wars immersive experience at Disney World features 7-11 year olds in awe.

SplashJacket

You forgot about transportation, which it also lacks. It's just too small to add dedicated bus service to all four parks and Disney Springs because those buses would be running empty most of the time. Even just asking people to use the DHS buses and Skyliner isn't an option due to the park reservation system and the park hopping requirements.
I thought about that, and I don't know how they could get around that barrier. Bussing people to the transportation hubs is far too inefficient, so I don't know how they could overcome that barrier, but I just don't think this will be the colossal failure that's being projected on here.

UNCgolf

I thought about that, and I don't know how they could get around that barrier. Bussing people to the transportation hubs is far too inefficient, so I don't know how they could overcome that barrier, but I just don't think this will be the colossal failure that's being projected on here.

Oh sure, I'm not suggesting it's definitely going to be a failure -- and I think if it does fail at this price point, they'll just lower the price and go from there.

It's just the idea of changing it into a standard hotel that I don't think is a workable option without significant changes.

TrojanUSC

Lol, good lord. You would pay $1000 a night to stay in a 75 square foot room with no pool or even quickservice? I wouldn't pay $100 to stay in a cruise ship room if you stuck it on land going nowhere.

Technically there is quick service but it's all grab & go stuff.

My big question is whether or not the phone in the room connects you to actual Starcruiser staff or, if like guests paying for $5000/night suites at the Grand Floridian, you're forced to talk to the clueless operators in Tampa who aren't allowed to connect you to the actual front desk without escalating you through two supervisors.

MrPromey

1 - Lack of Scale - Makes selling at normal hotel prices prohibitive
2 - Lack of amenities - when you make it a hotel, people want things they normally get in a hotel
3 - Tiny Rooms - Tiny rooms are acceptable in a special purpose limited time adventure where literally you're only going to be sleeping and changing in there for 2 nights. But as a normal hotel room? It wouldn't cut it.

It would be a horrible hotel. Overpriced, lacking, and miserable to stay at.
I think we'd be more likely to be able to start playing a "spot-the-prop/embellishment" game across the the worldwide parks like we already can with things from other shuttered attractions before they would invest in trying to convert this to something conventional.

I could see some things making their way to Galaxy's Edge in both US parks before the rest of it ended up spread across various Tomorrowlands and maybe some part of Epcot with nothing connecting it to Star Wars at all.

If this does fail, the design not feeling very much like Star Wars to a lot of people might actually become a virtue.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

New video on the development of the Starcruiser -

LMAO!!! They keep making it look worse. Hey, remember when they hired imagineers who actually had and used their imagination?? Cuz these two yahoos in this video show they have none. This is what you get when you hire hipster's who don't know a thing about Star Wars or played with toys growing up or turned their bed into the Death Star with theit blankets like a fort. These two clowns only care about hitting check marks on 'immersive list' while never fully understanding the assignment to begin with. Boy what 'let's pat ourselves on the back' video this was. Only good thing I will say is they had the brains to finally not film it on the bridge set.

Look, Disney never has gotten Star Wars even since before there was a Star Wars movie. How do I know this? Well it is flat out said in the EMPIRE OF DREAMS documentary telling the story of how Star Wars and ILM came about. Lucas took his script to Disney. One of the first studios he went to- and they turned it down because 'they didn't get it'. Thank God, Fox took a chance. Disney never would have been able to make the original film due to their 'lack of vision'. A tradition that sadly continues today still. You pay 4 Billion and build a hotel and land and set them between two movies no one loves and many in the fandom hate and don't even set these places around the characters that made the price 4 Billion in the first place of: Han, Luke, Vader, Leia, Yoda. It is mind boggling! If you wanted to create your own characters then why buy Star Wars in the first place? Why not make up your own space opera?!

With every piece of offcial video and official pictures Disney releases, all I can think of is how great and epic that Defunctland video of this hotel is going to be 2 years from now with the plethera of material Disney is giving them. In all my years of making fun of things theme parks do, it was never personal. But with this- since Iove Star Wars soo much- when this fails and the Defunctland video comes out and the bad reviews come out and when the hd videos on Youtube come out showing how awful this thing is- in the words of Thanos "I'm going to enjoy it. Very, very much."

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

y'all are also saying that everything positive that comes from the media people is invalid because they're essentially being bribed by the mouse.
No one's saying that.

What's being said is to take the praise of any vlogger who got a free trip with a grain of salt, because they got a free trip and are less likely to be wholly objective.

Any adult using their critical thinking skills can make the distinction. It's reasonable to assume a more-ovjective consensus may start to emerge in a few days when paying guests start visiting.

TP2000

What argument? That high school kids do better than this with homecoming decorations?

Obviously this dining room/show space is better than your average high school homecoming dance.

But the simple fact that people are joking by comparing it to such a thing means Disney lost the argument here. Disney went way too cheap, way too basic, and way too off-the-shelf on this dining room. They let Chapek cut the budget three too many times over the last four fiscal years. Layer on the charmless and cringey "Gaya" experience, and this whole dining room scene is a joke.

Personally, I don't think this looks like a high school dance. I think this looks like a cheaper version of Drag Nite at a popular gay bar in SoCal. The gay bars in SoCal have better lighting, better playlists, vastly better looking staff, and a far more attractive audience (My older gang stays in the shadows, as we know our place), but the overall vibe is the same. Only better.

If this dining room is okay with you, then more power to you. Bob Chapek would like to show you this video...

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You know, that's something that's been dawning on me lately; the lack of humor here. And realizing that Gaya could have been a witty and charming character to provide humor to the onboard story arcs is just part of that.

These Imagineers and people working on this project take themselves so seriously. They really do think they are doing very important work that will keep families together and form permanent bonds that could never happen if the family just went camping at a lake in Ohio. And they seem to be very earnest and serious about it all.

None of them seem to be having much fun. None of them ever laughs, or says something funny, even though their dialogue is all pre-scripted and professionally curated. They are very serious about their very important work that they are very proud of. :rolleyes:

It's kind of a downer to watch these self-congratulatory WDI videos. It's a freakin' theme park, not a cancer ward!

This man would like to know who killed the funny, lighthearted vibe at his entertainment organization...

900w-600h_national-hat-day-walt-hats-gallery-5.jpg
Gone are the days of REAL IMAGINNEERS the likes of Walt himself, Rolly Crump, Bob Gurr, Marc Davis, Tony Baxter, Marty Sklar, Mary Blair and many many others who used their imagination and were passionate. Who wanted to entertain. Always telling you in those old videos like the Haunted Mansion one, of the creative things they were coming up with not to pat themselves on the back but to get YOU excited for what they were working on. To let you know they were working their butts off to break new ground to entertain YOU! Not to go off a checklist of different ways they can bring up the word 'immerson' that they are scripted to say. People who used every creative bone in their body to make something FOR YOU. Those days are long gone.

Last edited:

TP2000

Gone of the days or REAL IMAGINNEERS the likes of Walt himself, Rolly Crump, Bob Gurr, Marc Davis, Tony Baxter, Marty Sklar, Mary Blair and many many others who used their imagination and were passionate. Who wanted to entertain. Always telling you in those old videos like the Haunted Mansion one, of the creative things they were coming up with not to pat themselves on the back but to get YOU excited for what they were working on. To let you know they were working their butts off to break new ground to entertain YOU! Not to go off a checklist of different ways they can bring up the word 'immerson' that they are scripted to say. People who used every creative bone in their body to make something FOR YOU. Those days are long gone.

Yes, the recent change in tone from WDI "behind the scenes" videos is striking and saddening.

It's almost as if WDI senior management thinks by putting their middle management in these videos and giving them a self-congratulatory script that drones on and on about how talented and amazing they are, that they will get credit for not paying a bit more or giving an additional week of vacation every year.

The end result for us, the audience, is that we get to see very self-important people talk about how proud they are of their very important work. :rolleyes: It's pukey and dumb.

Contrast that with a video like this of Walt and his truly great Imagineers, where the tone is humble and gracious and only meant to engage the audience instead of satisfy HR, and the difference is striking. What the heck happened to this organization?!?

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Yes, the recent change in tone from WDI "behind the scenes" videos is striking and saddening.

It's almost as if WDI senior management thinks by putting their middle management in these videos and giving them a self-congratulatory script that drones on and on about how talented and amazing they are, that they will get credit for not paying a bit more or giving an additional week of vacation every year.

The end result for us, the audience, is that we get to see very important and very talented people talk about how proud they are of their very important work. :rolleyes: It's pukey and dumb.

Contrast that with a video like this of Walt and his truly great Imagineers, where the tone is humble and gracious and only meant to engage the audience instead of satisfy HR, and the difference is striking. What the heck happened to this organization?!?

Well said. The difference between this video of Walt talking about what is to become Pirates of the Carribean and the video Disney released last night, of the 2 narcissistic hipsters and some guy who looks like his family is being held hostage if he doesn't do this video, sitting at a fast food restaurant esque dinning table are night and day in tone and quality.

MoonRakerSCM

a lot of even us skeptics were hoping there would be some, SOMETHING that we hadn't seen yet that would blow some socks off. Some "OMG, I gotta admit...that's pretty cool" aspect.
SOMETHING, ANYTHING! Just ONE THING that makes us go 'ho snap, that's pretty awesome'. What's getting me is WHERE is the $3000 a night GOING? The rooms are cheap, the hotel is cheap, the public areas are cheap... where exactly is the money going??? One might say "Well, it's the story"... Someone else made a great comment earlier... of the leaks and mumblings we've heard so far, not one single thing has come out about the supposed 'amazing story'... the only constant positive is the food being really good (even though it turns your poop green).

The fact that this is the current debate speaks volumes about this project.
Exactly, if there was SOMETHING that was awesome in these vids, this wouldn't be the convo, it wouldn't be the joke... we'd be beyond it.

I'm curious about the comment from the blog post earlier that mentioned that the seats in the dining room (aside from being idiotically basic) are actually uncomfortable to sit in during the meals/shows that go on in the dining room area. If this is true, it's a downright failure on countless levels.

I had a couple of friends see the video of the dining room. They commented it looked like a friend's wedding we went to in a church basement.

_caleb

No one's saying that.

What's being said is to take the praise of any vlogger who got a free trip with a grain of salt, because they got a free trip and are less likely to be wholly objective.

Any adult using their critical thinking skills can make the distinction. It's reasonable to assume a more-ovjective consensus may start to emerge in a few days when paying guests start visiting.
Obviously this dining room/show space is better than your average high school homecoming dance.

But the simple fact that people are joking by comparing it to such a thing means Disney lost the argument here. Disney went way too cheap, way too basic, and way too off-the-shelf on this dining room. They let Chapek cut the budget three too many times over the last five years. Layer on the charmless and cringey "Gaya" experience, and this whole dining room scene is a joke.

Personally, I don't think this looks like a high school dance. I think this looks like a cheaper version of Drag Nite at a popular gay bar in SoCal. The gay bars in SoCal have better lighting, better playlists, vastly better looking staff, and a far more attractive audience (My gang stays in the shadows, as we know our place), but the overall vibe is the same. Only better.

If that's okay with you, then so be it, and more power to you. Bob Chapek would like to show you this video...

I agree they seem to have missed the mark here. Why couldn’t they have sent in a team of artists with paint to age and texture the surfaces to make the place share the lived-in feel of everything else in Star Wars?

If I were in charge, I would have sent some interns to the Cypress Swap Meet to get some vintage kitchen appliances to serve as props (like they did in the original films).

The Starcruiser is a new sort of thing, so it’s going to be compared to dinner theater, drag shows, role-playing games, cruises, and yes, hotels. It’s on Disney to explain what this is and why anyone would pay so much for it. But the people who know the least about this seem to be the ones with the strongest opinions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom