News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

_caleb

Gone are the days of REAL IMAGINNEERS the likes of Walt himself, Rolly Crump, Bob Gurr, Marc Davis, Tony Baxter, Marty Sklar, Mary Blair and many many others who used their imagination and were passionate. Who wanted to entertain. Always telling you in those old videos like the Haunted Mansion one, of the creative things they were coming up with not to pat themselves on the back but to get YOU excited for what they were working on. To let you know they were working their butts off to break new ground to entertain YOU! Not to go off a checklist of different ways they can bring up the word 'immerson' that they are scripted to say. People who used every creative bone in their body to make something FOR YOU. Those days are long gone.
Do you know why Disney doesn’t do Imagineering like they used to?

TP2000

I'm curious about the comment from the blog post earlier that mentioned that the seats in the dining room (aside from being idiotically basic) are actually uncomfortable to sit in during the meals/shows that go on in the dining room area. If this is true, it's a downright failure on countless levels.

I imagine they are talking about these chairs at the "good" tables near the front of the room. They are bought off the rack, but they don't look comfortable. Especially for a space where over half your awake time "on board" is supposed to happen.

OhMyBack!.png

I had a couple of friends see the video of the dining room. They commented it looked like a friend's wedding we went to in a church basement.

It's the low ceiling and the windowless and featureless walls that do that. The space is long and narrow and hemmed in on all sides, like a church basement. It's not attractive, and it certainly doesn't convey "luxury".

Which is odd, because for the past 150 years since the first steamships plied the Atlantic, the dining room of any cruise ship was always the largest public room and most grand and elaborately impressive space on board. But not so in Bob Chapek's universe.

A 20th Century Ocean Liner Dining Room For Upper Class Americans (or Frenchmen, as it's the SS Normandie).

8cec4c13a491a23a45e71c6265d56efa.jpg

A 21st Century Ocean Cruise Ship for Upper-Middle Class Americans. (Celebrity Cruises, Equinox)

RCiMZc06XF5jHyzwdY2t_jEanb4S693u6EkUm3_YNscviexfG40akuwKDG-SodFZ_Q-dhmzPWgzmzRCiDf8atVb67gc=s0

A 21st Century Space Cruiser Dining Room For Upper-Middle Class Rubes Fooled by Bob Chapek.

DragShowAtRich'sSanDiego.png

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Do you know why Disney doesn’t do Imagineering like they used to?
Too cheap to pay for real people of vision ,the imagineers they do hire work for cheap and have no actual creative wit, charm, style and noooo personalities or unique voices. They are all company 'Yes men' who love to smell their own farts. That about sum it up for ya or should I taunt them a second time?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I imagine they are talking about these chairs at the "good" tables near the front of the room. They are bought off the rack, but they don't look comfortable. Especially for a space where over half your awake time "on board" is supposed to happen.

View attachment 623785

It's the low ceiling and the windowless and featureless walls that do that. The space is long and narrow and hemmed in on all sides, like a church basement. It's not attractive, and it certainly doesn't convey "luxury".

Which is odd, because for the past 150 years since the first steamships plied the Atlantic, the dining room of any cruise ship was always the largest public room and most grand and elaborately impressive space on board. But not so in Bob Chapek's universe.

A 20th Century Ocean Liner Dining Room For Upper Class Americans (or Frenchmen, as it's the SS Normandie).

A 21st Century Ocean Cruise Ship for Upper-Middle Class Americans. (Celebrity Cruises, Equinox)

RCiMZc06XF5jHyzwdY2t_jEanb4S693u6EkUm3_YNscviexfG40akuwKDG-SodFZ_Q-dhmzPWgzmzRCiDf8atVb67gc=s0

A 21st Century Space Cruiser Dining Room For Upper-Middle Class Rubes Fooled by Bob Chapek.

View attachment 623786
The whole thing looks sooo cheap and generic. And tiny. My god, who could get a good night's rest in those rooms?! Are there even wall outlets so you can plug and charge your cell phones or cpap machines for those who need one to sleep with next to the bed? How do people with wheelchairs fit in those rooms?!

_caleb

View attachment 623785

View attachment 623786
I think this is why many of us mistook this dining room for the “lounge.”

TP2000

This hotel is the equivalent of the automobile Homer Simpson designed himself and was soo proud of yet everyone else saw it as an epic disaster since it represented nothing someone wanted in a car.
View attachment 623787

In Mr. Simpson's defense, putting the fender skirts on the front wheels is a bold design choice.

I just wish we could say that anything about the Galactic Starcruiser was "bold". So far, it's mostly bland.

The only thing bold about it is the price per person, per night. That's bold, as well as a few other adjectives.

TP2000

I am certainly no Imagineer, I don't have a creative bone in my body. And I have absolutely no experience in the theater arts. But if it was up to me, Gaya would not be a staid, serious, humorless lounge singer. Instead, Gaya would be a cross between comedienne Dame Edna and silly Joanne Worley on Laugh-In. Maybe with a bit of Phylis Diller thrown in. Gaya could've also had a foil, a space cowboy, sort of a Wally Boag character to Gaya's Slue Foot Sue at Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe.

A $6,000, 2-night vacation should have some laughs, right? Gaya should have been a lounge singer who was also funny, glamorous, talented, self-deprecating, over the top yet loveable. And did I mention funny? You know, when people laugh cause they're having a good time, like on a cruise or a well-earned vacation?

099ee42b05edcf8a34ee3be21ec315f0.jpg

Last edited:

Cesar R M

View attachment 623785

View attachment 623786
The irony is that they could have pulled some amazing effects by trying to use similar technology as the QUANTUM CLASS of Royal Caribbean with its flexible mobile screens and multi level backship theatre.

Imagine Gaya and aliens animatronics appearing and doing REAL show like this..
not just a random singer doing random singer thing with some basic singers in some completely unassuming and unimpressive way.

And this is on a cruise ship that you can enjoy for 7 days with tons of amenities, shows, pools, ports and food included for between 1000 to 5000 USD (depending on the size of the room).

For 6k they could have built the Oasis and Quantum of the seas's 2 floor lofts with huge 3d screen.

Imagine having actually designed the rooms to use a single giant 3d screen (a la Flight of Passage) instead of tiny individual TVs.

Cesar R M

Yes, it looks like Sabacc in the cocktail lounge went from this hologram concept...

silver-c-lounge-star-wars-galactic-starcruiser.jpg

To this, (which appears to use the push button controls from an old Maytag washing machine)...

View attachment 623798
I'm surprised they did not even try to use the transparent monitor tech presented by Samsung a few years ago. Which is also present in the prototypes of flexible and transparent mini screens for cellphones.

1645696934828.png

1645696962496.png

Anyone remembers when Disney was putting top of the line cutting edge tech on most attractions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom