News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Cesar R M

That's just it...as people have been here comparing square footage with actual, real ships, this point seems to have been forgotten. There is no reason for a bathroom so small you can barely turn around in it...this is just a regular building. One purpose-built, no less.
I honestly think this is a proof of concept to "adapt to all". Aka a way to cost cuts of designing by making the whole thing compatible with cruise ships as well.

I would not be surprised if in the future.. IF... starcruiser manages to stay afloat and not be a gigantic fiasco... they will port the rooms to Disney ships as they implement upcharged rooms themed to Marvel and Star Wars.

Yes, they constructed things as if this had the actual size constraints of a spaceship.
But it's on the ground. They didn't have those actual limitations.
They could certainly have made it appear to look like a ship, while making accommodations larger than they did.

The irony is, the Alcyon looks HUGE. Probably 100+ meters long.
Yet it seems the space they used for the actual thing (as in areas you move, visit, eat, etc..) makes it look as cramped as a medium size frigate.

A good set of movies/tv series to see about "space cruise ships" would be THE FIFTH ELEMENT (probably where they got the concept, including the alien singer) and AVENUE 05 (a comical disastrous tv series with hugh laurie about a cheap Disney knockoff with an arrogant CEO making space cruise ships and dealing with multitude of people you'd see in a park and cruises, like the karen)

Now this is getting silly.
Were people really expecting cruise style entertainment extravaganzas? (which for us is the least important part of why we choose a certain cruiseship) Or just a lounge-act type of show?

I was expecting a lounge-y feel, I don't think they achieved it from what was shown so far.

This isnt the lounge, this is the "magnus finale" with Gaya in the dinning room. And for that staggering 6k money. Id sure as hell would love to see a decent show.

Yeah, that's a better way to put it - I think even the skeptics were expecting SOMETHING that would make you go "Wow, that's Star Wars!" or even "Wow, I really need to see that in person!" As has been pointed out, in-universe this is supposed to be a luxury space liner, not some cramped military ship.

For reference, this is what a luxury space liner looks like in Star Wars.

Just FYI, the link you gave just shows an empty image.

Last edited:

pdude81

I honestly think this is a proof of concept to "adapt to all". Aka a way to cost cuts of designing by making the whole thing compatible with cruise ships as well.

I would not be surprised if in the future.. IF... starcruiser manages to stay afloat and not be a gigantic fiasco... they will port the rooms to Disney ships as they implement upcharged rooms themed to Marvel and Star Wars.
You found the pool!

mergatroid

Does anyone still believe that they went to the expense of building in flight simulators into those trucks that shuttle you to Batuu?
I've been noticing while viewing this experience and looking at it the way WDW does their hotels (yes, they're not billing it as a hotel) this appears more like a moderate level hotel at best - and I'm talking about design, details, etc...
Yes, the comparisons aren't 1 to 1.
But the price for what they've designed and executed... What they've put into it... I just don't see it.
I would guess that being in a truck/car/bus it would be fairly difficult to time the turns with the video to match a 'flight'. You could code it to show the simulation of turning when the vehicle turns but how realistic it would feel is debatable. It wouldn't surprise me if the storyline is that you return to ground using the hotel simulator and see yourself landing on the planet. You're then told (as part of the story) that you're being smuggled to Batuu in a ground vehicle. At that stage you enter the truck which is windowless and there's two options. You either see screens to see a simulation of driving to Batuu which would at least match what you're feeling, or no screens as you're being smuggled in? The no screen option seems a bad choice though, maybe tomorrow we'll know?

TikibirdLand

The more I think about it and read reports of the whole thing feeling claustrophobic (and it certainly looks claustrophobic from the things we've seen so far), the more surprised I am that the Starcruiser doesn't seem to have even one big, impressive set piece. As capacity is not that high, I guess the dining room was never going to be that huge in terms of floorspace, but even high ceilings coupled with detailed theming could have created a big impact when compared to the relatively tight spaces in the rest of the hotel. This was supposed to be a luxury starcruiser in its day, so it's not like that would have been out of theme for the ship to have had one large open space. Even if they combined the bar and restaurant into a two-level space to increase its sense of scope, that could have created a kind of "wow" moment. The closest to that seems to be the lobby, which also doesn't really compare to the scale of the lobby of a luxury cruise ship.

They really could have made this as big as they wanted to, so the fact they have squashed everything so tightly in together is an interesting choice.

EDIT: I see a few people above have made basically the same observation!
Maybe they were going for intimate.
Does a River Cruise have shows? If so, anyone got pictures? Seems they could have amped the show up even in this setting.

Tha Realest

Now this is getting silly.
Were people really expecting cruise style entertainment extravaganzas? (which for us is the least important part of why we choose a certain cruiseship) Or just a lounge-act type of show?

I was expecting a lounge-y feel, I don't think they achieved it from what was shown so far.
I don't think we were generally expecting that. But, at the price point, and Disney's desire to make this akin to a luxury cruising experience, you can see how one might expect to experience ostensibly "out of this world" type of entertainment that is being done elsewhere at much lower price points.

dreday3

I don't think we were generally expecting that. But, at the price point, and Disney's desire to make this akin to a luxury cruising experience, you can see how one might expect to experience ostensibly "out of this world" type of entertainment that is being done elsewhere at much lower price points.

I agree with the price as it is, there should be a lot more "entertainment", but I just don't think it would be in stage form, but in other ways (roaming character interaction, various lounge acts, a lobby "band", small "scenes" played out throughout ship, etc.).

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is a video display and sound effects. Some testers say it’s obvious it’s in a truck bed, but a seamless transition between the Starcruiser and Batuu.
Since you are getting 'review' comments.. can we look forward to full reviews from WDW in pseudonym form? That way we can trust the authenticity through WDWMagic, but people can be anonymous enough to actually give us a full debrief and not be afraid of repercussions?

MurphyJoe

Yes, they constructed things as if this had the actual size constraints of a spaceship.
But it's on the ground. They didn't have those actual limitations.
They could certainly have made it appear to look like a ship, while making accommodations larger than they did.

With how huge spaceships are in Star Wars and them pitching this as a luxury experience, there's no thematic reason for these rooms to be smaller than the typical cruise ship suite.

Hell, lets be more direct.. let's compare the themeing on one of the most popular restaurants in DCL

View attachment 623868

A place where there is interactivity, the whole place lights up and changes.. screens showcase animation features in screens and even face to face interaction with Crush. ( Imagine if they could have added something similar for kids by having them have a convo with chewbacca or other character)

This is obviously a promo image, but I'd be surprised if the final product was too much different, for a dinner show on the Disney Wish.

LetItGoooo.png

Also learned that the Star Wars bar won't be the only Star Wars experience onboard. They're also adding in Star Wars: Cargo Bay where kids become creature handlers for a range of Star Wars critters and can help Rey and Chewy escape the First Order.

Skipping ahead to the part concerning the Cargo Bay. Also shows them working on the bar's window.

Window Testing.png

My thing is how can the Starcruiser, at a much higher price point, appear to be halfway done while the cruise ship team goes for broke?

correcaminos

With how huge spaceships are in Star Wars and them pitching this as a luxury experience, there's no thematic reason for these rooms to be smaller than the typical cruise ship suite.

This is obviously a promo image, but I'd be surprised if the final product was too much different, for a dinner show on the Disney Wish.

View attachment 623881

Also learned that the Star Wars bar won't be the only Star Wars experience onboard. They're also adding in Star Wars: Cargo Bay where kids become creature handlers for a range of Star Wars critters and can help Rey and Chewy escape the First Order.

Skipping ahead to the part concerning the Cargo Bay. Also shows them working on the bar's window.

View attachment 623882

My thing is how can the Starcruiser, at a much higher price point, appear to be halfway done while the cruise ship team goes for broke?

Now I want to be a kid on the cruise ship there! That cargo bay looks cool!

GimpYancIent

View attachment 623881

View attachment 623882

Absolutely! A cruise ship, an actual ocean-going vessel, is a far more complex structure to build that a building on land. It is a sad state of affairs the building housing the galactic Star Cruiser experience is not dimensionally larger and the actual internal components for the experience are so cramped / minimal. Maybe DCL should have stepped out of their box and developed / produced the Halcyon.

TikibirdLand

View attachment 623881

View attachment 623882

I so want to go see the creatures. Is there an age limit? 🥺🙏

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom