News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MurphyJoe

As of August, 2021, there were over 1600. It's a bit expensive for a beta program (~$800 + $100/mo). But, I really like the idea.

Since this is the Starcruiser thread, for the cost of a two-night Starcruiser experience you could have the hardware and about 4 years of Starlink service. Blue shrimp cocktail or relatively high-speed starlight internet for 4 years?

Sir_Cliff

The trouble is, this is an experience for a small number of people. That's one of my complaints about this. The Void was a unique Star Wars experience accessible to all. If the Starcruiser is a success I hope they consider ways to provide this type of experience to the masses. Someone who balks at the full "cruise" experience might be willing to take part in a half day experience for example.
I'm not amongst those rooting for this to fail as I'm honestly indifferent to the whole concept. To answer the poster you were responding to, though, I'm also not particularly invested in it succeeding even if the venture does involve Disney innovating in terms of themed experience. The reason is that I did not become a fan of Disney because they created boutique experiences for small groups that cost a fortune. If this succeeds and Disney continues to go down that road, they'll just be going further away from what drew me to Disney in the first place.

For example, I really liked the film Luca and a well-located, high-quality Luca attraction might interest me in returning. I would never sign up to spending thousands of dollars for two days in a recreation of the village from the film pretending I was living in the movie, however.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

The reason is that I did not become a fan of Disney because they created boutique experiences for small groups that cost a fortune. If this succeeds and Disney continues to go down that road, they'll just be going further away from what drew me to Disney in the first place.
Unfortunately that's the road they want to go down. If you can't afford a boutique experience, Disney doesn't want you.

LovePop

If the Starcruiser fails guest expectations, it will be the first hotel or cruise ship or building that has ever failed during my time going to Disney, and I've been going for 12 years. I haven't always liked everything Disney builds, but guests have always been impressed, such as the Art of Animation resort, the Riviera Resort, the Disney Dream cruise ship. The NBA Experience failed, but not because there's something intrinsically wrong with it: it is a beautiful indoor basketball court.

So far, the Starcruiser doesn't look near as nice as its concept art illustrates, and if it turns out to be some kind of boring building in which people are stuck for 2 days, it will be a huge problem, being that it doesn't have regular Disney hotel or cruise ship amenities such as a pool, a promenade deck, outside landscaping, or balcony with ocean view. It doesn't even have a parking lot for the guests, so there's basically no way of converting it into regular hotel without a ton of extra work and expense.

I just noticed today about the hotel hallway:

33.PNG

Look at how cool the hallway looks in the concept art, compared to how plain the promo seems. I can't understand why Disney didn't make a video from the hallway in the concept art. You can't say they don't want to spoil it, it's already in the concept art, so it's already spoiled. I'm just curious if the hotel is as nice as the concept art promises, or it's not realistically possible so that people won't be getting that cool hallway.

Although some people are cancelling, most dates for the first 4 months are still fully booked. That means the fans are trusting that Disney would deliver. it doesn't seem unreasonable to show what things look like in real life vs concept art so that people know what they are getting into. For example, the hotel rooms are definitely worse than the concept art:

77.PNG

Look at how much bigger the windows are, and how much space there is in the theoretical room, compared to what it ends up looking like. What if everything else also got scaled back accordingly? Disney really needs to make another promo video to replace the one they removed, a video that shows what the concept art looks like in reality.

In case you don't recognize the concept art hallway, I got it out of the middle of the following concept art:

star-wars-hotel-concept-art-1.jpg

ToTBellHop

T

the actual “safari” ride that was the entire premise of the original Jurassic Park would have been cool. But roller coaster.
In practice, that would be a lesser Dinosaur. It’s hard to add suspense with dino robots in open air. So Dinosaur is indoors with dim lighting and River Adventure moves indoors with dim lighting. Velocicoaster has a few dinos you fly past but they don’t scare you, exactly.

Even the Jurassic Park/World movies move to nighttime and/or indoors to add suspense.

yensidtlaw1969

In practice, that would be a lesser Dinosaur. It’s hard to add suspense with dino robots in open air. So Dinosaur is indoors with dim lighting and River Adventure moves indoors with dim lighting. Velocicoaster has a few dinos you fly past but they don’t scare you, exactly.

Even the Jurassic Park/World movies move to nighttime and/or indoors to add suspense.
I have to say, for all the corners Jurassic Park backed Disney into when building their own Dinosaur ride, Universal never really hit a home run with the property.

The creative potential for a ride based off the Jurassic Park premise is off the charts; you'd think a big, epic Jurassic Park ride could easily land in the Top 10 themed attractions worldwide if they'd just commit. Instead they're all kind of weird and surprisingly lame given the subject matter. Imperfect though it is, I'd take Disney's "Dinosaur!" over them any day.

Probably worth noting that I haven't ridden Velocicoaster, so it's excluded from this - but that's also very clearly trying to do something different from what I'm talking about here.

mj2v

I have to say, for all the corners Jurassic Park backed Disney into when building their own Dinosaur ride, Universal never really hit a home run with the property.

The creative potential for a ride based off the Jurassic Park premise is off the charts; you'd think a big, epic Jurassic Park ride could easily land in the Top 10 themed attractions worldwide if they'd just commit. Instead they're all kind of weird and surprisingly lame given the subject matter. Imperfect though it is, I'd take Disney's "Dinosaur!" over them any day.

Probably worth noting that I haven't ridden Velocicoaster, so it's excluded from this - but that's also very clearly trying to do something different from what I'm talking about here.
The Velocicoaster is epic. Great theming in the queue and the ride is really really great!

Movielover

They were going to add a second big ride to the Jurassic Park Island after opening. It was to be a indoor Jeep ride.

1641136101785.png

1641136114562.png

Plus there were plans for a motion simulator themed after a Helicopter tour, which was referenced in concept art and is still present in the model of the island, Isla Adventura, in the River Adventure line.

1641136314195.png

1641136326069.png

However the underperformance of the park after opening due to confusion over the resort's name and poor marketing lead to all these being shelved. Eventually Hogwarts Castle was built in the Jeep Safari spot.

GimpYancIent

Soooooo rather than having a Galactic Star Cruiser the suggestion is there should be a Galactic Star coaster? Sort of mirroring UNI and their Jurassic theming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom