News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

McMickeyWorld

It's fine to discuss why it failed. Marketing, cost, limited appeal, whatever.

It didn't fail because it was "just line dancing and scanning QR codes" as some would like to believe.

It was an intriguing product, and Disney should be taking lessons on what worked and how it might be applied to a future project.

There's a market for unique experiences. The Disney cruise line is proof you can charge more than the competition for a premium product.
Independently, as was already mentioned in the other thread, I still hope that Disney doesn't abandon the concept. Honestly, I would like to experience an improved version.

Mickey's Pal

We're just tired of listening to you. Finally you may have found a legitimate criticism from someone with relevant experience. Happy Birthday.

But for me to put in 4 hours of watch time to give real thought to what she said and then respond here is a lot. Especially given that the vast majority of those who experienced this loved it, and one in-depth video is what you cite as proof that all the others are wrong.
Her video proved the vast majority who experienced it did not love it and she breaks down why and that exact argument you made lol

brideck

Her video proved the vast majority who experienced it did not love it and she breaks down why and that exact argument you made lol

How does it prove that given that it got the highest customer satisfaction scores out of anything in Disney World?

People didn't love it, but then when Disney asked, they said... they loved it?

Incomudro

If you're on here wanting to educate people about the truth, feel free to regurgitate a point she makes about satisfaction scores. I'm not watching a 4-hour video from a content creator that I've never respected.
You don't have to watch it in its entirety. (I haven't. Yet.)
It's all time stamped.

_caleb

Watch her video.
I've watched the entire video. Jenny doesn't prove (nor does she try to) that "the vast majority who experienced it did not love it." She does show that many were disappointed. Her experience was a string of disappointments, but she acknowledges that many guests somehow managed to avoid some of what made her trip especially bad:
  • Jenny paid for PhotoPass, she received no photos
  • When she booked, she did not receive sufficient information about the details of the trip or services offered
  • She was seated behind a view-obstructing pillar during the dinner show
  • Her party was not sorted into one of the storylines, so she missed out on several key story elements
She did show how/why things like the lightsaber training, bridge games, and crate scanning were less than impressive. She does a great job of showing how Disney marketed the Starcruiser poorly, missed on execution, and charged way too much for the experience.

Her video convinced me that as it was offered, the Starcruiser failed to live up to the hype and, more importantly, wasn't worth the price. But I'm still glad that Disney took a risk and experimented a bit on this.

As I've said elsewhere, I think 360º/4D/multisensory theming, gamification, puzzles to solve, personalized interactions with characters, overnight stays, and variable story outcomes that depend on guest choices are the future of themed entertainment.

celluloid

Maybe they could create this sort of thing on a larger scale. Allowing more guests in with you but providing venues with multiple cabins or environments to explore that feel intimate or become a smaller audience when it needs to be, but also allows for the food and beverage to be a choice and not inclusive so it can be decided.
Also, they could then feasibly allow.aboit a 100-120 bucks for a full day of pepple.deciding what they want for do and how.immersed their family would like.

Shoot. They could even charge for parkng and with the infrastructure, do after hour parties or special events in certain vene space.l and have themed merchandise roe those who want it.

Last edited:

Mickey's Pal

I've watched the entire video. Jenny doesn't prove (nor does she try to) that "the vast majority who experienced it did not love it." She does show that many were disappointed. Her experience was a string of disappointments, but she acknowledges that many guests somehow managed to avoid some of what made her trip especially bad:
  • Jenny paid for PhotoPass, she received no photos
  • When she booked, she did not receive sufficient information about the details of the trip or services offered
  • She was seated behind a view-obstructing pillar during the dinner show
  • Her party was not sorted into one of the storylines, so she missed out on several key story elements
She did show how/why things like the lightsaber training, bridge games, and crate scanning were less than impressive. She does a great job of showing how Disney marketed the Starcruiser poorly, missed on execution, and charged way too much for the experience.

Her video convinced me that as it was offered, the Starcruiser failed to live up to the hype and, more importantly, wasn't worth the price. But I'm still glad that Disney took a risk and experimented a bit on this.

As I've said elsewhere, I think 360º/4D/multisensory theming, gamification, puzzles to solve, personalized interactions with characters, overnight stays, and variable story outcomes that depend on guest choices are the future of themed entertainment.
She does directly attack the claim it had high guest ratings with evidence from reddit. Maybe you should watch again and pay attention.

_caleb

She does directly attack the claim it had high guest ratings with evidence from reddit. Maybe you should watch again and pay attention.
Why be rude?

She pointed out that many positive reviews were incentivized or based on limited experiences. She also questioned the claim that it consistently received high guest satisfaction ratings.

Evidence from Reddit isn’t “proof” that "the vast majority who experienced it did not love it."

I didn’t see any of it as an “attack.” I thought she did a great job keeping things fair by acknowledging that some people did like it, and that some people may have had a much better experience than she.

Mickey's Pal

Why be rude?

She pointed out that many positive reviews were incentivized or based on limited experiences. She also questioned the claim that it consistently received high guest satisfaction ratings.

Evidence from Reddit isn’t “proof” that "the vast majority who experienced it did not love it."

I didn’t see any of it as an “attack.” I thought she did a great job keeping things fair by acknowledging that some people did like it, and that some people may have had a much better experience than she.
Was not rude. I suggested you watch it again and this time pay attention.

MrPromey

It didn't, though.

What she pointed out was that when people would speak of their own negative experiences, they'd get shouted down on reddit or "victim blamed" for why their experience didn't go right.

She went on to question that high rating thing on Twitter but that's still not saying everyone hated it - just that the oft-repeated claim about it being the highest rated thing ever was dubious and couldn't seem to be traced back to any reliable source nor did anyone ever go into what metrics were being looked at to make such a claim, assuming it wasn't just totally made up.

There's a wide, wide range between being the highest rated thing ever and something the majority of people actively hated.

She also didn't understand the box truck controversy since nobody inside sees the outside and she was cool with the space bingo and line dancing so I would hardly call her video completely damming of the whole experience.

Her overall opinion was that it wasn't worth the asking price, and that, as her experience showed, too many things could go wrong to wreak the stay with a dab of Disney hubris in how they handled customer service issues regarding legitimate issues - all damming stuff to be sure - but I could see someone taking a trip and not encountering any of these problems, too.

It seemed too high priced to me and a vacation where people are paid to make me, as an adult, feel like the center of attention in some made up adventure is something I'm not sure anyone could pay me to do but some people were clearly into it.

That aside, her video makes clear there were some major operational issues and I'm guessing, more than anything else, a lot of those issues had to do with why it actually closed. At $6k+ per group, they needed to ensure something above 99% operational success or have enough fail-safes built in to work through the problems without guests noticing and it doesn't seem like they had that.

I think they discovered too late that what they were trying to do and what they had sold people on was too difficult and too expensive to be worth properly doing for them.

Last edited:

Mickey's Pal

It didn't, though.

What she pointed out was that when people would speak of their own negative experiences, they'd get shouted down on reddit or "victim blamed" for why their experience didn't go right.

She went on to question that high rating thing on Twitter but that's still not saying everyone hated it - just that the oft-repeated claim about it being the highest rated thing ever was dubious and couldn't seem to be traced back to any reliable source nor did anyone ever go into what metrics were being looked at to make such a claim, assuming it wasn't just totally made up.

There's a wide, wide range between being the highest rated thing ever and something the majority of people actively hated.

She also didn't understand the box truck controversy since nobody inside sees the outside, anyway and she was cool with the space bingo and line dancing so I would hardly call her video completely damming of the whole experience.

Her overall opinion was that it wasn't worth the asking price, and that, as her experience showed, too many things could go wrong to wreak the stay with a dab of Disney hubris in how they handled customer service issues regarding legitimate issues - all damming stuff to be sure - but I could see someone taking a trip and not encountering any of these problems, too.

It seemed too high priced to me and a vacation where people are paid to make me, as an adult, feel like the center of attention in some made up adventure is something I'm not sure anyone could pay me to do but some people were clearly into it.

That aside, her video makes clear there were some major operational issues and I'm guessing, more than anything else, a lot of those issues had to do with why it actually closed. I think they discovered too late that what they were trying to do and what they had sold people on was too difficult and too expensive to be worth properly doing for them.
It totally did and she debunked all the common defene phrases people use to defend the Star Wars Hotel and its price. It is a Brilliant review that debunks and destroys this hotel in the nicest but most savage way possible.

MrPromey

It totally did and she debunked all the common defene phrases people use to defend the Star Wars Hotel and its price. It is a Brilliant review that debunks and destroys this hotel in the nicest but most savage way possible.
We must have watched different four hour videos, then.

All I saw her doing was debunking the excuses guests who said they had a good time used to try discrediting guests who didn't.

She also touched on why someone who paid too much for something might be reluctant to admit it wasn't worth it but that doesn't somehow reveal that the majority of people who said they had a good time really didn't - at least in the video I watched.

You can still have fun with something, even if after paying $2 a minute for it, you realize the fun wasn't worth $2 a minute and then maybe not want to admit it was overpriced - again, that doesn't mean you secretly walked away hating it.

I got the impression that if the system tracking her group hadn't failed, had she not been seated behind a pole at dinner, and had it been 1/3 the price, she would have said it probably was worth it even if the arrival experience was kind of a sh!☨ show and the room was cramped.

A lot of her complaints were price vs. experience related like "for $6k a night, you only get to see space from your bed with a whole bunch of blue lights on around the window in a cramped room - doesn't feel very premium for something they're charging a premium price for"*.

Two of those three things, are issues I'm guessing the majority of guests probably didn't run into (obviously, everyone encountered the price) but even one guest having that happen on a $6k+ experience every voyage is too much and obviously, in a full room, someone's getting those seats at dinner each night.

*Quotes were for illustrative purposes. That's a paraphrase of what she actually said in the segment where she talked about the window, the lights, and people's literal suggestions to bring a roll of gaffer's tape to solve that problem during your stay.

Last edited:

Mickey's Pal

We must have watched different four hour videos, then.

All I saw her doing was debunking the excuses guests who said they had a good time used to try discrediting guests who didn't.

She also touched on why someone who paid too much for something might be reluctant to admit it wasn't worth it but that doesn't somehow reveal that the majority of people who said they had a good time really didn't - at least in the video I watched.

You can still have fun with something, even if after paying $2 a minute for it, you realize the fun wasn't worth $2 a minute and then maybe not want to admit it was overpriced - again, that doesn't mean you secretly walked away hating it.

I got the impression that if the system tracking her group hadn't failed, had she not been seated behind a pole at dinner, and had it been 1/3 the price, she would have said it probably was worth it even if the arrival experience was kind of a sh!☨ show and the room was cramped.

Two of those three things, are issues I'm guessing the majority of guests probably didn't run into (obviously, everyone encountered the price) but even one guest having that happen on a $6k+ experience every voyage is too much and obviously, in a full room, someone's getting those seats at dinner each night.
We must have or you missed the last hour of the video.

Mickey's Pal

Nope, especially not the last 15 minutes...

Maybe you can post a time-saved clip of where she says the majority of people who said they enjoyed it are lying and all really hated it and prove your point.

I think that would shut me and everyone else here up.
I suggest you watch the whole thing. I have seen it twice now and it is better the 2nd time

Mickey's Pal

I've seen the whole thing, too.

Didn't see what you claimed to see but if you've seen it twice, and you don't want to post the clip that backs up your claim, maybe you could provide the time marker?
The evidence in the video with 5 million plus views my guy. Just watch it again. Its in there.

MrPromey

The evidence in the video with 5 million plus views my guy. Just watch it again. Its in there.
Right, but you can't point to where in the four hours it is to back up what you're saying.

I've been through that haystack once because I wanted to. I'm the one who posted it here.

I'm not going through it again to find the needle you say is in there somewhere.

The burden of proof to back up your claim is on you, my friend. If I could point to a time stamp to prove she didn't say that, I would but I can't prove a negative.

Since you're not willing to do that, I'll assume we can agree you were mistaken and move on.

Don't feel bad. It happens to the best of us now and then.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom