News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Mireille

Premium Member
Her video proved the vast majority who experienced it did not love it and she breaks down why and that exact argument you made lol
What a weird claim to make. She proved she didn't enjoy it, she didn't prove anything about what other people felt, other than if her experience confirmed other peoples' critiques. I don't doubt her experience at all and I found her video enjoyable (as usual for her) and well argued. I believe she went early on since she was so excited to go and I wonder if the loyalty tracking in the app just wasn't working correctly and it improved or if it was just a case of some people were "assigned" loyalties that they actually wanted so they believed it worked. Also, since she went early I would imagine it was full or nearly full and no matter what, if there are fewer people, everyone will be able to get more interaction with the characters. I never would have gone for what they were charging and even if it had been cheaper I don't know if dedicating 2 entire days to a Star Wars story, either by itself or part of a longer WDW trip, would feel like a good use of my time. I can understand not being interested in an experience but you seem to have a weird vested interest in proving everybody hated it despite first hand accounts from people that liked it. It's like you're fueled by schadenfreude.

pdude81

What a weird claim to make. She proved she didn't enjoy it, she didn't prove anything about what other people felt, other than if her experience confirmed other peoples' critiques. I don't doubt her experience at all and I found her video enjoyable (as usual for her) and well argued. I believe she went early on since she was so excited to go and I wonder if the loyalty tracking in the app just wasn't working correctly and it improved or if it was just a case of some people were "assigned" loyalties that they actually wanted so they believed it worked. Also, since she went early I would imagine it was full or nearly full and no matter what, if there are fewer people, everyone will be able to get more interaction with the characters. I never would have gone for what they were charging and even if it had been cheaper I don't know if dedicating 2 entire days to a Star Wars story, either by itself or part of a longer WDW trip, would feel like a good use of my time. I can understand not being interested in an experience but you seem to have a weird vested interest in proving everybody hated it despite first hand accounts from people that liked it. It's like you're fueled by schadenfreude.
There can be issues in the app that screw up everything, but there is a team dedicated to this that can help you move things along if this happens. This actually happened to me because my son was right at the age where he could be in the kiddie saber training or the adult. I wanted him to be able to do the youngling one also, which was really fun, but our app ended up having a different Saja (trainer) than who we had in our adult training and at that point a number of our in app communications stopped flowing.

They did say if you have any problems in story/communications to go to Passenger Services which I did. They helped push some things through so we could get on to the next parts. Unfortunately this continued on Batuu but they had two programmers basically sitting at the gateway you could stop by and ask for help should anything go wrong. Now this ruined a bit of the immersion for me as far as the communications went, but the real life pieces were all still happening and the character interaction for my particular group was flawless. There were some other app issues that I think might have been due to the weird version of android I was running on a cheap Oneplus phone. However, they had iPhone loaners at the ready for anyone who wanted/needed them. I chose to make sure I handled the tech issues so the others in my party didn't need to. If I was alone this might have been more frustrating... but then again if I were alone I might not have had those setup issues due to multiple trainings.

They don't really "assign" loyalties, but your interactions in real life with characters as well as how you answer questions in the app gave you "trust" levels with those characters. Certain bridge trainings that you were assigned, however, would lead to interactions that could push you in one direction or another. They also will give you additional events or meetings that can show up in the app schedule depending on your choices. A lot of the events that show on the schedule before you board are really just cover for other things that were going on in secret, or things that people could just generally do if they weren't into exploring and furthering their alliances in the evening.

celluloid

People are doing exactly what she said some would do. The same ones who said they did pay attention and when you ask them to review where it states these things, they label you rude.

This video was so well done and honest, that it did more to the perception than Disney's millions on materials and efforts really did.

This video is going to have a greater impact on the subject than the actual duration of the venture it is reviewing.

Mickey's Pal

People are doing exactly what she said some would do. The same ones who said they did pay attention and when you ask them to review where it states these things, they label you rude.

This video was so well done and honest, that it did more to the perception than Disney's millions on materials and efforts really did.

This video is going to have a greater impact on the subject than the actual duration of the venture it is reviewing.
Exactly. They are using the exact same phrases she pointed out and debunked. Her video is truly special and flat out savage. She cooked Disney so bad.

celluloid

Exactly. They are using the exact same phrases she pointed out and debunked. Her video is truly special and flat out savage. She cooked Disney so bad.

And the only negative thing people can really say about it is the time it may take to watch a video. Which is because it is thoroughly analyzed like a hospitality management class and they should be utilizing this kind of thing for years about such a lesson.

celluloid

If the best one can do is say that the people who enjoyed it did not think it was worth the cost...

Then you have stated precisely that people walked away not satisfied. Enjoyment is very subjective and moment to moment changes. Not enough were finding the value in the entire experience.
It was an experience that did not satisfy enough people.

For value proposition purposes these things are not mutually exclusive in business.

This also goes more than immediate, as Disney was canceling bookings knowing they were not healthy enough and bookings are a thing that people do far in advance for such experiences.

I could have a great day at The Magic Kingdom, but I don't think it is worth 310 dollars a day. And I don't think as many who had a great time would find that value either.

Last edited:

Mickey's Pal

And the only negative thing people can really say about it is the time it may take to watch a video. Which is because it is thoroughly analyzed like a hospitality management class and they should be utilizing this kind of thing for years about such a lesson.
What she has made is better than any defunctland video we could ever hope for.

Incomudro

If the best one can do is say that the people who enjoyed it did not think it was worth the cost...

Then you have stated precisely that people walked away not satisfied. Enjoyment is very subjective and moment to moment changes. Not enough were finding the value in the entire experience.

For value proposition purposes these things are not mutually exclusive in business.

This also goes more than immediate, as Disney was canceling bookings knowing they were not healthy enough and bookings are a thing that people do far in advance for such experiences.

I could have a great day at The Magic Kingdom, but I don't think it is worth 310 dollars a day. And I don't think as many who had a great time would find that value either.
Exactly.
You can certainly enjoy something, while believing that things wasn't worth it.

_caleb

I guess you're referring to me here? I watched the video through (twice now). What @Mickey's Pal states "Her video proved the vast majority who experienced it did not love it" is not true.

Maybe you can point us to a place in the video where she makes this assertion?
I agree that the video is well done, but I don't understand the second half of this sentence.
I hope it does! I hope Disney Executives pay attention, and that they learn something from the whole endeavor.

When it comes to feedback on what's happening with the parks, I think we need more insightful, informed, well-presented feedback like Jenny's and could do with less of the half-baked, uninformed, grievance-motivated hot takes we often get around here.

Wendy Pleakley

I feel there's something ironic about people who don't think the Starcruiser was a good use of time watching a 4+ hour video about it.

Not to say she can't have good points, but in what world does a two-day experience justify a video longer than a typical documentary?

Surely this could have been edited down into a more concise review.

flynnibus

Premium Member
She debunked them all because she paid out of pocket for this mess and ALL THE USUAL DEFENDERS- You know who they are- are NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!
I LOL'd

you want people to invest in addressing a 4hour video point by point... to someone who isn't even here themselves?

images (2).jpeg

Meanwhile people are necroraising a thread to rehash the same old things.

What I do know is... this youtuber isn't in the Disney halls to know the factors that lead them to pull the plug outright. So I don't really think skimming a 4hr video is going to help any assessment of that.

Disney was in spot like they haven't been in decades.. and they made some radical pivots... largely based on $$$ decisions. I bet in another time and space, Starcruiser would have been reworked in different ways... but instead we got a full stop abort.

flynnibus

Premium Member

It was also an experience that was widely misunderstood... and one completely fumbled by the company. Does that mean it was unsalvageable or that people never would have enjoyed it?

It was also something so short lived due to the macro situation of the TWDC at the time that it got nuked so that other things could go onward and we'll never know.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If they were really ever paying attention, they would never have crafted something so elite and premium in price to where anyone could possibly get a dining seat behind a pillar.
Isn't this the same dinner show where the performers move about the room?

This was some seriously impressively sized pillar!

MrPromey

Isn't this the same dinner show where the performers move about the room?

This was some seriously impressively sized pillar!
To be fair, she does have video of it and there are a couple points when the main character does do that (not the green one with the animated head since she's a "backup singer" and supposedly playing some instrument.

There appear to be only the two of them.

In the video, her complaint is real but the gripe becomes sort of a (dry) running joke - she clearly exaggerates the impact of it, intentionally in the end of the whole video as a joke.

Anyway, unlike others here, I'll be happy to show where she talks specifically about the dinner show with a link to the point in the video she talks about most of it. If you choose to watch, I'd suggest 1.5x speed:

EDIT: due to the length of the overall video, Youtube's time saved clips aren't very precise so what I gave you's a little bit ahead (but not much). Where she starts with the pole is around 1:25:00. It runs to 1:30:00
I feel there's something ironic about people who don't think the Starcruiser was a good use of time watching a 4+ hour video about it.

Not to say she can't have good points, but in what world does a two-day experience justify a video longer than a typical documentary?

A lot of the length is due to the footage she's showing of the actual experience.

She could have cut that out but then it would have all been a lot more "you'll have to take my word for it" and somehow, people are still arguing about what really happened even with all the footage.

I watch most Youtube at the max 2x speed. I watched this at 1.25-1.5x speed so that I could clearly see what was in all the footage.

As someone who was never going to go do this for a whole host of reasons, I enjoyed watching this because it showed so much of the actual stay and because of her commentary which wasn't all negative and some of which went over her observations on how certain things were achieved like how they make everyone a force-wielder by the end of the lightsaber training.

That said, I find it annoying how people are using the running time as a shield both to discuss something they haven't and don't plan on watching* and to say things that aren't in there, are because they seem to know it's going to be difficult to be proven wrong if they don't show people where and just keep insisting you watch the full four hours to see where that little easter egg is hidden.

In truth, for that second group, I think they just saw something leaning their direction and went full confirmation bias and the reason they don't want to tell you exactly where she says it is because they don't know themselves but in their minds, they're certain it's in there, somewhere.

*Kind of the opposite side of the coin of people who have never gone trying to convince people who did go that they had to have had an awful time and are either a bunch of lying sacks or just delusional if they say it wasn't awful and that they didn't just absolutely hate everything about it or at the very least, shade someone for having done it at all.

Last edited:

celluloid

It was also an experience that was widely misunderstood... and one completely fumbled by the company. Does that mean it was unsalvageable or that people never would have enjoyed it?

It was also something so short lived due to the macro situation of the TWDC at the time that it got nuked so that other things could go onward and we'll never know.

Your statement further echos what has already been said. Hubris and bad leadership.

Enjoyment is subjective. We know people enjoyed it. We also know, objectively, that not enough saw the value in it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That said, I find it annoying how people are using the running time as a shield both to discuss something they haven't and don't plan on watching and to say things that aren't in there, are because they seem to know it's going to be difficult to be proven wrong if they don't show people where and just keep insisting you watch the full four hours to see where that little easter egg is hidden.

When one poster keeps singing how this is the perfect rebutal and acts like it's a masterpiece of an argument... but is 4.5hrs long - no it's not a masterpiece of a shutdown.

An argument can be laid out in minutes - the supporting material is what takes more time to layout. If her logic and approach can't be outlined without retorts of 'just watch it' - Then no, I don't see a convincing argument there.

The reasons customers didn't show up is not going to be explained with 1,000 minor details or examples - because customers didn't use the same information to make their own decision not to show up.

Crap like "I had an obstructed view" is not why the majority of a room didn't like a show. Outlining drawn out every detail of an experience is not how one constructs an argument.

Most of her commentary is so eye rolling and dramatized I don't know how anyone suffers more than 10mins of it at a time. She makes conclusive assertive statements non-stop that are founded on nothing but her uninformed view yet she parades her opinion as conclusive facts.

"...Disney could have spent negligibly more in the construction phase to make every room a big room and they decided not to there is no justifiable reason for Disney to have limited the room size other than stinginess and to increase pressure to get you to pay extra for a little more space..."

She makes such claims based on her assessment that it's just a land hotel.. not a ship... so obviously... This is a supported argument. This is just someone parading their opinion as conclusive... without acknowledging they really have zero actual insight into why the choice was really made by the decision makers.

I've not really heard any highlights from this video from posters here that make me go 'wow, that will be worth hours of my time'. And I'm the kind of person surrounded by bookshelves and watches dozens of hours of documentaries a week. I'm an information sponge. But I can't stomach someone who can't meaningfully differentiate between their opinions and actual assertive facts... nor one who doesn't know their own limits. And I certainly don't need hours of recap of history - I was already here. And I've certainly not heard of any hints of actual citable material from Disney on any of the decisions... just a customer's perspective... and a young one at that.

Obviously many are swooned by her extensive use of material in her presentation... but that doesn't necessarily make it good or supported. It just means you have material to use along with your view.

celluloid

Free form entertainment/information? Whose to say people have to watch it all in one sitting.

The internet created a niche market system and she is tapping all of that niche market.

I don't know if that says how good her analysis is as much as how bad Disney's experience perofrmed. Or really, both.

The irony is, her audience for it is wider than those who actually saw the value in experiencing it. It is fascinating and a too big to fail kind of story.

Like Disney's Fyre Festival, without as much ick.

I skimmed the video but saw enough to see a lot of this person's great points. It is a deep niche analysis, but the internet is full of them.

I think plenty of people thought of Starcruiser as a worthy fun time...it is the value of price that most had issue with.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom