News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sir_Cliff

Really great points!

I can't add much to your spot-on observations, except to show this image of what the backside of Galaxie's Edge looks like for thousands of arriving cars going into the Disneyland parking garage every day. From windshield level on Disneyland Drive looking south, with the Disneyland parking structure on the right and the backside of Galaxie's Edge on the left ...

View attachment 624242
I think we can just say by default on any issue that comes up that Disneyland does it better!

Whatever the relative merits of DLR vs. WDW as a vacation destination, if you have to compare any two things both resorts are given to run it's clear which resort has the better management team. This is a case where I'm sure WDW management could have also asked for the rock work to have been extended, but they didn't see it as worthwhile. Am I remembering incorrectly that you can even see the rocks on sticks from some angles as you walk to the entrance of Hollywood Studios?

Patcheslee

I just turned 45 this month. My spouse is under 45. Our friend we took last year to WDW specifically for Galaxy edge is under 40. We all could afford this. I had misgivings and recently put an offer on a DVC add on that I'll pay in cash. Not wealthy but after little done in 2020 and regular savings this wouldn't have been an issue. We just are good at saving as is our friend, though he's just single. We're probably a prime age they want, though my 14 yo is too tall for those bunks and a bit beyond space invaders.

Really not sure teens will want this. For same spent my kid would rather other experiences. These experiences feel a bit juvenile for him - me as well tbh.

Nice! Got a reservation for MM and deciding if I should scrap it or pay OOP for a room. Only Swalphin shows availability. March has been booked solid for months.
Being in rural Indiana our cost of living is relatively low and my job alone pays $60k a year before overtime working in a factory. Mortgage less than $500/month. It's not a stretch for us, after being raised stealing food to eat, any money we spend on vacations is very much a "is it worth it" decision. And a penny pinching psychology in a way.

Last edited:

durangojim

I wonder how many people were on the blogger cruise and how that compares to a sold out cruise. Hopefully it was the same amount but for some reason I have a feeling there were less people on blogger one.

Sir_Cliff

Agreed, jealousy isn't it.

Earlier this month, when I saw the lights on in Polynesian's King Kamehameha Suite and a family dining inside before the fireworks, I was a little jealous. That's a bucket list experience for sure.

I also feel a little jealous strolling past Yacht & Beach Club heading back to Swolphin, or looking up at guests in GF's Royal Palm Club when I'm just there for dinner.

But this? Even if the price were 80% lower, I'd be saying it looks pretty neat, but it's not for me. Likewise with all the Galaxy's Edge upcharges. Would much rather spend those dollars staying in an overwater bungalow again, or maybe revisiting Japan when it opens its borders.

View attachment 624267

The Starcruiser does look neat, but I don't feel like I'm missing out by skipping it. The price just adds a big fat exclamation mark to that sense of indifference.

Also, I know it's come up in the thread before, but if Universal were opening an immersive Hogwarts experience I'd be far more enthusiastic–and perhaps a little jealous of those readily able to pay mid-four figures for it.
100% agree with this.

I can occasionally be pushed into spending illogical amounts of money is for a relaxing, luxury vacation experience or a good view and sheepishly admit that I would also kind of like to stay in one of those Polynesian bungalows one day even though everyone hates them for various reasons!

Horses for courses, I guess. The price of the Starcruiser is more or less irrelevant to me as I am not interested in the experience. I have no idea how much those who are interested will be willing to pay for that: maybe they're charging too much, maybe the prices are fine. I will say that I have seen a lot of complaints about "tipping points" being reached in regard to price over the years that don't end up being supported by declining numbers of guests. I guess we'll see soon enough whether this is different.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
ResortTV1 have done a complete 180 and said even though they were comped that they're going to pay their own money to return. He admits that he publicly admitted having major doubts about this. Could be lying of course, judge for yourself at the 2:13:10 mark.

I know Josh beyond just watching his videos/streams, he wouldn't say that if he didn't believe it.

correcaminos

Being in rural Indiana our cost of living is relatively low and my job alone pays $60k a year before overtime working in a factory. Mortgage less than $500/month. It's not a stretch for us, after being raised stealing food to eat, any money we spend on vacations is very much a "is it worth it" decision. And a penny pinching psychology in a way.
I'd love a $500 mortgage. We bought our house before the crazy increases came in but still not low. Not bad though and really we were smart to make our first home large enough to just stay in. Never felt the need to go huge like some. Our apartment prior was pretty cheap so we were only in it a year or so before buying. I was raised by a penny pincher too though. Totally changes how you think.

Yep, we used to be big into Disney cruises starting in 2012. The kids loved them when they were younger but after our last one in 2018 they were getting bored and felt it was too kiddy for them and my wife and I would rather just be at a stationary resort. Plus we’ve been staying in 2 bedroom Dvc villas since summer of 2020 (thanks pandemic) and I really don’t ever see us going back to a regular hotel room at Disney if the 4 of us are there together.
That is my thoughts with this and us. That we'd outgrow the games mentality that they have. Some love certain things, others just get bored. Neither is bad.

We went for our first 2 bedroom for our 10th anniversary. Really spoiled us. We never went back. Even if we do studios, we'll do 2 like at PVB. We like our space. Doing a studio for spring break though, but it's just the 2 of us. Chose PVB too over a 1 bed elsewhere, so at least it hs the murphy bed over a sofa bed. Kid is nearing 5'8" and has outgrown the single murphies
I was wondering from the DVC discussions…
Curious how old you thought I was? We married young, and bought DVC young, but not lucky enough to have kids young. Though like the one I got lol
Where is the 6K figure coming from?

The website shows me it’s $4,809 for two guests, so $2,405 each - still incredibly expensive for a two night inclusive experience.
Family of 4 is $5999 https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser/planning/
Family of 4. Plus souviners and upcharges taxes and drinks for mom and dad. Next question?
That's not including alcohol, upcharges, or any souviners.

Last edited:

mergatroid

I know Josh beyond just watching his videos/streams, he wouldn't say that if he didn't believe it.
He seems an honest type of guy whenever I watch him. In fact I'm surprised they invited him because I've seen him being very honestly critical of Disney on his channel and yet we're told that Disney won't tolerate that by some people on here, hence Dev not being invited? Who knows, I have no idea but the camera makes this look a very fun experience regardless of what the vloggers say.

Tha Realest

He seems an honest type of guy whenever I watch him. In fact I'm surprised they invited him because I've seen him being very honestly critical of Disney on his channel and yet we're told that Disney won't tolerate that by some people on here, hence Dev not being invited? Who knows, I have no idea but the camera makes this look a very fun experience regardless of what the vloggers say.
I like them too. I don’t think they generally editorialize that much one way or the other. I appreciate the, just setting up the camera and letting us walk along.

As far as PC Dev, he was on the favorites list. He had been featured on the Disney blog/Instagram feed as well on a recent Aulani trip. I think him being freezing out has less to do with his (sudden, and recent) criticism of Disney and a lot more to do with his very public arrest.

mergatroid

I like them too. I don’t think they generally editorialize that much one way or the other. I appreciate the, just setting up the camera and letting us walk along.

As far as PC Dev, he was on the favorites list. He had been featured on the Disney blog/Instagram feed as well on a recent Aulani trip. I think him being freezing out has less to do with his (sudden, and recent) criticism of Disney and a lot more to do with his very public arrest.
I know who he is but rarely watch him. I'd no idea he'd been arrested or what for, however I can understand Disney distancing themselves from potential controversy. Often people jump to assumptions based on their own theories, I can see his arrest being a possible theory for freezing him out though I don't know.

Tha Realest

Can you give us an example of Disney launching a hotel or other theme park experience and then reducing the price, ever?
I feel like hotel prices vary a lot more than say tickets or food items. I don’t know that they ever reduce those base prices, but would rather do discounts against them. If there’s an issue coming up and they want to reduce prices without lowering the baseline, I could see them offering it as a reduced cost add-on (Book a four day package and get a two night stay at the Galactic Starcruiser for $3,999!)

Thelazer

Here is, where I feel the REAL money is.

Who comes to Disney, for JUST A 2 night star wars stay?

No, your talking 6K ON TOP of the already price someone is going to pay, to come stay for a few days, go see the other parks, enjoy a dinner or two at Epcot and etc. Oh and shopping... So really "ALL IN" I'd say a Family of 4, will spend upwards of 8k on this kinda trip after adding in there "star wars" night.

correcaminos

Here is, where I feel the REAL money is.

Who comes to Disney, for JUST A 2 night star wars stay?

No, your talking 6K ON TOP of the already price someone is going to pay, to come stay for a few days, go see the other parks, enjoy a dinner or two at Epcot and etc. Oh and shopping... So really "ALL IN" I'd say a Family of 4, will spend upwards of 8k on this kinda trip after adding in there "star wars" night.
Depends on the people. My friend joined us for the whole Disney experience. His friends would not. So if they added time to their trip, it wouldn't be Disney. It would be elsewhere in Florida very likely.

Diamond Dot

I just scrolled through a quick article about it on AOL (yes, I'm still on there) and it's not for me even at a reasonable price, I'm a 40 years+ Star Wars fan, but, it's definitely one for the kiddoes. I would have loved a hotel with Star Wars Themed rooms like those in AoA, but, I'm not into the interactive stuff so much. Perhaps Disney will realise that putting a couple of rooms decorated in a Star Wars theme like the Pirates Room for example and priced at the same rate will appeal to those who want to wake up in a themed room, but, not feel obliged to LARP.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Curious how old you thought I was? We married young, and bought DVC young, but not lucky enough to have kids young. Though like the one I got lol
I would have guessed maybe 50-55. It was the Facebook DVC page where people seem to “budget”/use kitchens etc that threw me.

But your overall story is a familiar one. The “spirit of 76”

AmishGuy91

I saw PC Dev was not even invited to the four hour event. He has been critical of disney more than others for the price increases and cuts. I would not at all be surprised if chapek has a few people who follow social media and cut people off who are critical. He is that kind of guy. That is probably a 10k loss for someone like Dev if he still wants to cover this but cant get the early bump.

I always try to be aware of people with social media presences not presenting the same experience someone might else have. Known food vlogger's often get loaded plates and impeccable service. Disney most certainly tracks people as much as they can who they consider important to marketing since most of the planning gets done in app.
His recent arrest has more to do with his lack of invite than his criticality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom