News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

dreday3

Oh I get it:

And also the cm dig…a lot of fans *cough* want their slaves when they shuttle in from MCO but have no concern to be associated with the fact they want them…

The list is long and distinguished. It’s “stamps 101”

Saying she's a part-time worker that goes to Jr College is a dig or at the very least, unnecessary, even if someone tries to backtrack from the dig by saying they respect Jr College.

Come on.
I started at a Jr College and I know what people really think of them. :D (which is silly because they are a fantastic jumping off point to a University or great place to earn a technical degree)

Anyways, is a dance lesson kind of the last thing one would expect? Sure. But it's not required and let the people have their fun. It is a "cruise" after all.

But I still would not pay the price for this.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just finished a very long Starcruiser video and have some thoughts. While the video is pretty comprehensive it clearly doesn’t have everything. I can only speak to what I saw, I may have to watch more to see how the experience differs.

Overall, this is far from the disaster then others suggested. Is it perfect? No. Does it have problems? Definitely. Is it a fun experience that largely delivers on the “live your Star Wars adventure”? Yes.

My pros and cons kinda tie together so I’ll be addressing both of them at the same time. First off, I enjoyed the character interactions a great deal. Was engaged in the story (more or less). The issue is that some of the activities around the character interactions is where some of my negatives come into play. Bridge training is cool but not because of the actual game being played but because of the characters interacting with you inside the bridge. The game is fine, but nothing incredible.

The lightsaber training actually annoys me because I think they could of done way better then point a lightsaber toward a light. The Yoda Force Ghost effect from Savi’s is a cool addition though. Disappointed in this activity. It also isn’t saved by character interaction like Bridge Training.

The Gaia plot while not bad, didn’t grip me like the main plot of resistance and first order.

The Batuu connection and shuttle was cool I enjoyed seeing how experiences were linked and integrated into one another.

Some of the characters I found myself more invested in then I thought I’d be like Sam, the ship’s mechanic.

The lightsaber duel and finale we cool I was entertained by that. I didn’t really like the fireworks it was fine but maybe it didn’t capture well on video. The Yoda hologram was also a nice addition. I didn’t have a problem with Rey (other then that ridiculous lightsaber swap she does). Kylo’s voice is very strange you can hear modulation (not even sure if it’s being modulated) it just has that quality to it making him sound off.

I also really enjoyed the droid link in the rooms. I realize that may creep some guests out but I thought it was a well done display of tech.

The mini missions and character interactions are really the selling point here. Obviously, I can’t judge the food.

Wasn’t the biggest fan of the dining room. Seemed kinda generic, not awful just generic expected more. I did really like the sublight lounge. It “felt” more like Star Wars then the dining room to me.

Didn’t might the integration of the Play Disney app seemed to work well and complimented the experience well.

Overall, I enjoyed watching the experience. I think it’s one of those experiences that doesn’t really capture well on video given all the interactions. I however, don’t think it’s worth that absorbent price they are charging. I would really like to see some of these ideas integrated into Galaxy’s Edge. I believe that could really help the land.

Anyways, those are my thoughts (so far).
I don’t think I ever thought “disaster” would be the result. I question Disney’s effort, commitment and ability to provide value here. But interested to see how it turns out.

Might want to ease back on the “experiency experience” stuff. It’s a product you buy…you’re money for what they give. Keep it simple.

This whole “experience” junk…and it’s getting worse…is Disney using a buzzword to cognitively disassociate the cost from the yield. That’s a pattern they have used for immense gain.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Saying she's a part-time worker that goes to Jr College is a dig, even if someone tries to backtrack from the dig by saying they respect Jr College.

Come on.
I started at a Jr College and I know what people really think of them. :D (which is silly because they are a fantastic jumping off point to a University or great place to earn a technical degree)

Anyways, is a dance lesson kind of the last thing one would expect? Sure. But it's not required and let the people have their fun. It is a "cruise" after all.

But I still would pay the price for this.
I have full respect for every school and every profession that’s appropriate. That’s not the issue.

It’s the Disney PT/CP thing that I know all to well.

corran horn

Eh. You're assumption of her "9 units at Valencia Jr. College" was kind of pompous.

And no one can prove to me that a dance instructor in the Star Wars universe WOULN'T say "Amaaaazing!!!" How many dance lessons have you taken there?
Hey, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and even I am amazed that people seem to have pre-conceived notions at what a shampoo dispenser would look like in the GFFA.

Surferboy567

I don’t think I ever thought “disaster” would be the result. I question Disney’s effort, commitment and ability to provide value here. But interested to see how it turns out.

Might want to ease back on the “experiency experience” stuff. It’s a product you buy…you’re money for what they give. Keep it simple.

This whole “experience” junk…and it’s getting worse…is Disney using a buzzword to cognitively disassociate the cost from the yield. That’s a pattern they have used for immense gain.
I can agree with most of your points here. Experience can be used as a buzzword but I think here it works.

mergatroid

Because it's stupid. Why would Ray or Kylo gice a rat's behind who Yoda is? Again that would be like Luke seeing Ghost Gui-Gonn or Mace Windu in Empire Strikes Back. It is show hornimg a classic deceased character in a story where they don't belong. You can't defend the hotel anymore now that people have seen it so now you want to argue things like this lol. That is very funny that your arguments are getting smaller and smaller.
I've replied about my views? I've said what I think a few posts back. I think the hotel looks pretty cool as do quite a few people. Your opinion or mine doesn't make it a fact. There's several people saying it's much better than they thought, it's subjective. Repeating it's awful doesn't make it so just as me saying I think it's cool doesn't make it so. You or somebody else were complaining about Yoda appearing, I was merely answering that viewpoint. I thought that was the point in discussing things, obviously if you don't agree with the other viewpoint you prefer to deflect.

I think it looks pretty good and isn't worth all that money, however to other it may be. You think it's terrible, was always going to be terrible, want to continually mock it and tell the world that what they see is awful even though many don't agree. We'll probably never agree on it or compromise so enjoy hating on it whilst I think it's overpriced but fun for those who have money.

TP2000

Saying she's a part-time worker that goes to Jr College is a dig or at the very least, unnecessary, even if someone tries to backtrack from the dig by saying they respect Jr College.

Only if you want to pretend a huge chunk of the WDW workforce are not young people attending a junior college, or trade school, or university in the Orlando area. That's the reality, and God bless 'em for it. And the performance this CM gives is very "2022 American College Girl Teaching The Electric Slide At The HoJo Pool".

She had no trainer or manager teach her how to interact with upscale customers who are paying thousands per night to experience this "immersive adventure".

I worried about this exact thing in this thread a few weeks ago when that photo of the CM's was released on Jeff Vahle's Instagram. They all looked very young and very enthusiastic, but I was worried that they had no formal training in luxury hotel operations or fine hospitality. I'm being convinced now that they don't.

But I still would not pay the price for this.

Who would? This is the kind of modern, schmaltzy entertainment you get on a Carnival Cruise, or at All Stars when the pool has to close for a storm.

I am not at all confident that these Starcruiser CM's are ready to deal with very demanding people who spend thousands per night on a hotel experience. I stay at Ritz-Carlton's on occasion, and I've seen and heard a lot of those people berating front desk staff, or waiters, or harping at the concierge about tiny issues or perceived slights.

It does not appear that at least some of these Starcruiser CM's have been trained properly to evoke the time/place they are meant to represent. So I wonder how well they'll do with a London banker's wife who doesn't like the pillow menu or that the bar doesn't carry her brand of gin?

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I love that Disney is trying something totally new and hope it inspires them to do more things like this.
Be careful what you wish for. All of this entertainment was originally planned to be in Galaxy’s Edge. It was then moved out to Starcruiser with an enormous price tag. Is that how you want the future of the parks to be?

Sir_Cliff

Be careful what you wish for. All of this entertainment was originally planned to be in Galaxy’s Edge. It was then moved out to Starcruiser with an enormous price tag. Is that how you want the future of the parks to be?
This is my concern. I don't wish for this to be a failure; let it rise or fall on its own merits. However, I certainly don't want this to be the future of Disney parks and resorts... or experiences, or whatever it would become.

celluloid

This is my concern. I don't wish for this to be a failure, but I also don't wish for it to be the future of Disney parks and resorts... or experiences, or whatever it would become.

Look, if you want your theme parks to be more like theme parks, you are goin to have to pay thousands for it, and have it be in additional days to your theme parks!

Vegas Disney Fan

Fair point, guess it depends if they’d actually build it without it being an up charge, free is definitely better than paid, but paid is better than nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom