News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
You really don't think that people would see flashing red lights and hear alarms sounding and freak out, even if they were told the day before that was part of it? I think you're underestimating the public. If you have to explain the difference, then you have to SHOW them the difference.
See prior post. If you made your show experience yelling fire in a movie theatre - you failed at design... not disclosure.

MoonRakerSCM

I'll admit, this idiotic STORY MOMENT ALARM is something I had just not considered... honestly I was thinking that the 'story' on the ship was going to happen during dinner... and events at dinner (where everyone is present by default) would lead into events out on the bridge or atrium...

Also I've been under the impression that the 'fireworks' finale will be where everyone is present by default and the fireworks suddenly turn into an attack by the first order... and people would experience it from there.

Will the entire hotel start flashing red with this announcement??? This literally is a car wreck I can't help but watch, it keeps on getting MORE and MORE ridiculous!

999th Happy Haunt

No, it's a CYA action. Have you ever gotten a safety briefing to enter any other building or hotel? The emergency exits are all clearly marked as required, and the place still meets the mandatory fire codes. This is all about Disney over sensitivity to risk. The same company that removed shaking set pieces for fear of liability.

And you could still do this in other ways that wasn't a blunt force hit to your head that involved the show itself. It's dumb.
Most hotels also do not have fake emergency events for show.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We can explain to people what a fire drill is, but without the opportunity to actually run a drill, there's no expectation that a guest knows how to behave. We know how to react to fire drills not just because we were told what to do, but because we put it into action. The video is the next best way to model appropriate behavior without the ability to do that.

If that was the real driving factor - you'd have a legit drill exercise. The fact 'a video is enough' shows that not to be the case. The video only gives them the key indicators to look for - it doesn't give them any practical experience.

Especially when wires are crossed and part of the experience may simulate an emergency (as they've suggested given how the bridge training becomes important at a later story moment), I think the video is perfectly fine. Are you mad when the emergency lights are turned on when Indiana Jones E-stops because it disrupts the immersion?

The difference there? They didn't make everyone watch a film to prepare them for that and to show how Indiana Jones is a warehouse and they didn't design their effects to be confused with an actual emergency if they were so concerned about it.

This is a overreaction to something they screwed up much earlier and took a pencil pusher's approach to solving it -- Instead of the show producers who actually built this company's reputation.

yensidtlaw1969

If that was the real driving factor - you'd have a legit drill exercise. The fact 'a video is enough' shows that not to be the case. The video only gives them the key indicators to look for - it doesn't give them any practical experience.

The difference there? They didn't make everyone watch a film to prepare them for that and to show how Indiana Jones is a warehouse and they didn't design their effects to be confused with an actual emergency if they were so concerned about it.

This is a overreaction to something they screwed up much earlier and took a pencil pusher's approach to solving it -- Instead of the show producers who actually built this company's reputation.
"Space Mountain is a thrilling, high-speed, turbulent roller coaster-type ride in the dark that includes sharp turns, sudden drops and stops."

Oh no, my immersion™️!

I don't know what to tell you other than that this is a concession I think is actually legitimate. Unlike the concession they made when they forgot to properly mask the showbuilding from the guest's view. Or a number of others.

yensidtlaw1969

Where is the 'fake emergency exit' in this place exactly?

You gonna argue we gotta explain to people picture frames showing nature aren't really fire exits either?

Care to point out the safety video hotels who have non-opening windows force everyone to watch before entering the lobby? Wouldn't want to risk to be confused by those 'fake emergency exits' right?
You might want to reread that post closer:

Most hotels also do not have fake emergency events for show.

yensidtlaw1969

Yeah, but Space Mountain isn't $6000 for me to ride it and it's not billed as the most immersive experience ever (with employees saying immersive until their faces turn blue).
You also don't spend the night there and have to know that if you hear an emergency anouncement in the middle of the night that it's not just an inconsiderate show element that you can choose to ignore and try to sleep through.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Universal Haunt Nights 2022 will now include a mandatory safety video before entering each house explaining to people that no... the person screaming does not need actual medical attention. If she did, note the stage lights will come on and a PA announcement about it being a REAL emergency will play.

Meanwhile... 911 calls from POTC will continue to soar for Disney's lack of adequate disclosures.

This is 2022 for you!

MoonRakerSCM

You also don't spend the night there and have to know that if you hear an emergency anouncement in the middle of the night that it's not just an inconsiderate show element that you can choose to ignore and try to sleep through.
For $6000 I want storm troopers to come into my room while I'm on the crapper, shoot my whole family, and then drag me out into the hallway, rough me up a bit and demand I tell them where Gaya is.

yensidtlaw1969

Universal Haunt Nights 2022 will now include a mandatory safety video before entering each house explaining to people that no... the person screaming does not need actual medical attention. If she did, note the stage lights will come on and a PA announcement about it being a REAL emergency will play.

Meanwhile... 911 calls from POTC will continue to soar for Disney's lack of adequate disclosures.

This is 2022 for you!
I'm only not telling you how silly you're starting to look because I really want to see this thread hit 700 pages before the first official reviews roll in.

EDITED To Add: Hey, look! We made it!

Cesar R M

Called it! secret compartment behind the windows to reach the actual windows and evacuation points! XD
This might be the reasons also why the rooms were this small.
Instead of making the layouts LARGER. they just decided to make the habitable space SMALLER to accommodate these evacuation areas.
Also hilarious the backtrack of Captain Karen on his dramatic run to call an "alarm" XD

Cesar R M

Wait, so... I am sooo confused here.

Is this a ride?
The pre-show video sure seems like it is.
Why do we need a "STORY MOMENT ALERT" is the storyline that bad, that you can't figure out what is going on?

Do they think folks are going to be so engaged that, if let's say a "real fire" breaks out, no one is going to believe it?
Or do the assume some idiot will vape in there room and set off the alarm at 3am... (Betting YES on that one)
When does the air masks deploy and do you put yours on first, then asset children and elderly?

Is this Star Tours, because that pre-show looks like star tours.

Who's the FIRST to open the emergency hatch.... is there one of those bars on the hatch?
"Warning door is alarmed?"
because.. LAWYERS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom