News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

Sir_Cliff

I think it all goes back to what I posted above about Disney being afraid the concept might not work and thus being unwilling to spend the money to actually make it truly impressive. It's essentially going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy where the concept does fail (at least at this price point) because they didn't spend the money to build large, elaborate settings (among other things).
I think you're onto something and it's very strange for them to have scaled this down to reduce their exposure but pricing it as though they hadn't and hoping scarcity and maybe the all-important brand that they're leveraging would be enough of a draw for them to get away with it. What is dawning on me, though, is that we were all worried that Disney was going to start putting all their high-quality theming and entertainment into boutique venues for high spenders like this if the Startcruiser were a hit. Little did we realise that they were actually giving the high spenders in this boutique venue theming and entertainment that is no better and possibly worse than what they're offering to the masses at their theme parks and cruise ships!

Wish's offerings def looks waaaaaaay better.
The Star Wars lounge and Cargo with its animatronics are giving me Hogwarts's stores (the ones with many things to see and do near Ollivander's )

Anyone noticed that also in this video.. the imagineers arent patting themselves in the back like self absorbed aholes or using buzzwords left and right?
Yeah, I have to say that watching that video was refreshing; it was like old Disney again! Even though it was all stuff aimed at kids, the way they were talking about it seemed like they were having a great time creating experiences that guests would really enjoy. That's kind of how I remember new parks and resorts being pitched back in the good old days!

bpiper

Yes, they constructed things as if this had the actual size constraints of a spaceship.
But it's on the ground. They didn't have those actual limitations.
They could certainly have made it appear to look like a ship, while making accommodations larger than they did.
What actual size constraints are you talking about?

Actual cruise ships have a constraint, the rooms have to be small to shove in as many people as you can ($$$) but yet the ship still floats.

What would the constraints be on a star ship?

Actually if you looked at the diagram of the ship from a side view that shows where the rooms are and rest of the hotel areas, what's in the rest of the ship? 2/3 of the ship shown isn't part of the hotel. That can't all be taken up by mechanical/ship propulsion.

Don't get me started on the idea that the Bridge is at the very front of the ship. Especially since the diagram clearly shows a bridge area poking up 2/3 of the way back.

Cesar R M

Actual cruise ships have a constraint, the rooms have to be small to shove in as many people as you can ($$$) but yet the ship still floats.

Actually if you looked at the diagram of the ship from a side view that shows where the rooms are and rest of the hotel areas, what's in the rest of the ship? 2/3 of the ship shown isn't part of the hotel. That can't all be taken up by mechanical/ship propulsion.

Don't get me started on the idea that the Bridge is at the very front of the ship. Especially since the diagram clearly shows a bridge area poking up 2/3 of the way back.
On the first images released, they did show a very elongated pathway towards the bridge from the atrium full of rounded windows to space.
This was obviously cut as well :/
As it is right now, the ship interior does not match what the outer shell supposedly is.
Specially where the "engineering" part is going to be for the interactive stuff.

As for cruise ships.. reminds me that almost all cruise ship rooms are prefabricated and designed to "slide in' and then bolted on to the ship, like a giant lego.

Rickcat96

Remember, in their minds, this is a home run. If you look at the shops in SWGE, all of the shops are very small, not only to save money by doing the bare minimum, it also makes it look very busy and creates demand. (Looking at you, Olga's Canteen-missed opportunity because it so small)

Disney killed Star Wars, the same cheap investment in the Guest experience is now killing the parks (but Chappey thinks his pricing model is based on current demand, not the reduced services currently at WDW)

Great example of the lack of creativity and forward thinking is Genie Plus, Disney created their own capacity issues by NOT expanding earlier to fix the capacity issue -never happened because it cost too much- With Genie Plus, they basically shifted the capacity burden to the guest.

Incomudro

It used to be (far less so no as they've gotten positively massive) that ocean going vessels had limits on room sizes, pool sizes, and other areas of the ship that a ground based hotel wouldn't have, because the vessel had to float, maneuver, be stable, dock, and also I'm assuming the technology didn't exist to build these ships that large - so they didn't.
The same thing would be true of a fictional space cruiser, though yes... If it's fictional anything goes I suppose.
Well, this fictional ship is a building on the ground.
They certainly could have made spaces larger, and more grand.
But they kept things tight as if their were weight or capacity issues.

bpiper

On the first images released, they did show a very elongated pathway towards the bridge from the atrium full of rounded windows to space.
As it is right now, the ship interior does not match what the outer shell supposedly is.
Specially where the "engineering" part is going to be for the interactive stuff.

As for cruise ships.. reminds me that almost all cruise ship rooms are prefabricated and designed to "slide in' and then bolted on to the ship, like a giant lego.
I think I missed that artwork.... Do you have a copy?

I missed the problem of where engineering is in relation to the ships diagram. That is way out of place.

The prefabbed rooms are actually normal for both the state rooms and all the rest of the ship. They make up sections on the ground and weld them together into "Blocks" and then crane them into position and weld the block to the previous block. This technique was created in WWII to speed up merchant ship construction due to heavy losses on North Atlantic convoys. It worked so well, that all ship construction is done that way.

bpiper

It used to be (far less so no as they've gotten positively massive) that ocean going vessels had limits on room sizes, pool sizes, and other areas of the ship that a ground based hotel wouldn't have, because the vessel had to float, maneuver, be stable, dock, and also I'm assuming the technology didn't exist to build these ships that large - so they didn't.
The same thing would be true of a fictional space cruiser, though yes... If it's fictional anything goes I suppose.
Well, this fictional ship is a building on the ground.
They certainly could have made spaces larger, and more grand.
But they kept things tight as if their were weight or capacity issues.
I read your original comment such that you were saying that space ships are limited in size. I realize that water based ships have many limitations, space based ships, not so much. I think that the increase in size is due to the design software that the naval architects now have that can model the stability of the ship better. Although I wouldn't want to be on one of those behemoths if it takes a 70' rouge wave on the side.

As a person very interested in Science fiction, there is no reason why the cabins would have to be so small.

It comes down to either:

1. The designers didn't understand the practical reasons why water ships are designed like they are vs space ships on size limitations. They should have done their research. Where is Rohde when you need him?

2. Disney wanted to build something as cheap as possible. All that space theming costs money. Much more that 4 walls of drywall and paint in a regular hotel room.

or more likely both.

GimpYancIent

True. Prefab, insert and connect (in the correct order of course). Back in the day Disney utilized the "LEGO" concept of prefab, insert into frame and connect with the building of the Contemporary. Would it have been more cost effective to build the Halcyon building in the same fashion as an actual vessel?

Tha Realest

Crunching the numbers for a trip next year. A three-night cruise on the Wish, book-ended by three nights at WDW Deluxe DVC Villas, one day at a park, and rental cars getting me to and from the airport (7 days total) costs as much for the five of us as it would for four of us to experience the lowest level offering at the Galactic Starcruiser.

durangojim

Does anyone think if we asked her to write a poem for Chapek he might fix this mess?
ceo.png

If you don't know what this is, just go on twitter and search her name.

Cesar R M

I think I missed that artwork.... Do you have a copy?

I missed the problem of where engineering is in relation to the ships diagram. That is way out of place.

The prefabbed rooms are actually normal for both the state rooms and all the rest of the ship. They make up sections on the ground and weld them together into "Blocks" and then crane them into position and weld the block to the previous block. This technique was created in WWII to speed up merchant ship construction due to heavy losses on North Atlantic convoys. It worked so well, that all ship construction is done that way.

This one.

1645740785118.png

Look how long and continous the "connection" hallways was.

Now check the "engineering" section..

1645740896697.png

And compare to the sideways image.

There is so much space missing that simply that shows the ship design does not even fit whats really built at all.

Cesar R M

I read your original comment such that you were saying that space ships are limited in size. I realize that water based ships have many limitations, space based ships, not so much. I think that the increase in size is due to the design software that the naval architects now have that can model the stability of the ship better. Although I wouldn't want to be on one of those behemoths if it takes a 70' rouge wave on the side.

As a person very interested in Science fiction, there is no reason why the cabins would have to be so small.

It comes down to either:

1. The designers didn't understand the practical reasons why water ships are designed like they are vs space ships on size limitations. They should have done their research. Where is Rohde when you need him?

2. Disney wanted to build something as cheap as possible. All that space theming costs money. Much more that 4 walls of drywall and paint in a regular hotel room.

or more likely both.
Pretty sure you're safer on these behemots when taking rogue waves ( some already have been hit and survived) than on medium ships.
Medium ships and tankers would get the "slap" with full power.. and the "slaps" are very well known to destroy entire sections of ships.

True. Prefab, insert and connect (in the correct order of course). Back in the day Disney utilized the "LEGO" concept of prefab, insert into frame and connect with the building of the Contemporary. Would it have been more cost effective to build the Halcyon building in the same fashion as an actual vessel?

The rooms actually feel like they were. Like they were designed to be build and fit into cruise ships as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom