News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

kingdead

Disney has been way too focused on Princesses for too long (which are geared towards little girls visiting theme parks). They're treating what is supposed to be a LARP experience as if it's on the same playing field as afternoon tea at the GF or dinner at 1900 Park Fare, when LARPing is in a completely different league. (For the record, I'm not knocking the afternoon tea or dinner - I love dinner at 1900.) Yes, there's acting involved for the CMs that make those experiences happen, but what makes those fun is that it's a "show" where the characters pretend they are unaware that the guests are theme park visitors. The guests aren't part of the story...they're on the outside, looking in. That's not what LARPing is...it's not even close. I think it's safe to say that Disney didn't bring on a single person who is an expert in planning LARP experiences, and that they thought the people who plan the in-park character activities would be able to handle this.

As far as the marketing goes...they're marketing it like they market the theme parks. Commercials showing what everything looks like with an appearance by a character now and then...but there has to be some kind of verbiage, so they threw in a couple of guys talking about much work went into it (no little girl in a princess dress running down the castle stairs or toddler running to hug Mickey). But again...people don't expect to be "part of the story" when they visit MK. I know many of us love behind-the-scenes specials, but commercials and previews of a LARP are supposed to get us excited to actually participate...not feel like a pre-teen making a YouTube video explaining how many hours they spent creating a Lego project and choosing just the right colors. Everything they've released so far indicates that they're looking at the Halcyon the same way they look at Cinderella's Castle or the Millennium Falcon...and that should send red flags up all over the place. And for the love of all things good, Disney needs to stop trying to market things in the same way "influencers" do.

I really think this is the moment that Disney's executive hubris is going to bite them where it hurts. HARD.
I don't think that you CAN do a LARP experience at this level--the kind of people who LARP have personalized stories laid out that inevitably are going to clash with the activities that are also part of the experience. Somebody who comes in expecting to play out the story of Jedi Master Muke Skyrunner that they've made up in their head is going to run into CMs who don't have the capacity to personally cater to them and areas that are dedicated to scheduled events.

I assume that most of the people who buy tickets know that they're going to be participants in a previously established storyline a la dinner theater, though, and that nobody's going to throw a tantrum when they can't stage their own "slaughter of the younglings" in the lightsaber training room.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is abundantly clear that literally zero people involved with this grew up as Star Wars fans. Stop trying to make the new trilogy a thing, it was trash and everyone knows it. No one cares about Rey or Kylo or the Resistance.
…if the movies were made and released by Fox or Paramount…not a SINGLE person here would disagree with you above the age of 9…

It’s very easy to “peel the onion” here. It’s right at the top of the screen.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Assume Disney converted All Star Music to Star Wars. Replace large icons. Paint some murals on the walls in the main building. Minimal Star Wars theming in the rooms. Maybe bedding would be star wars. Maybe a desk lamp that looks like BB8. Assume it was priced at least 50% higher then All Star Sports, maybe even double.

JMO but that's about all you can expect from current Disney management.
Music conversion? Or better yet - Pop?

Sign me up.

ImperfectPixie

I don't think that you CAN do a LARP experience at this level--the kind of people who LARP have personalized stories laid out that inevitably are going to clash with the activities that are also part of the experience. Somebody who comes in expecting to play out the story of Jedi Master Muke Skyrunner that they've made up in their head is going to run into CMs who don't have the capacity to personally cater to them and areas that are dedicated to scheduled events.

I assume that most of the people who buy tickets know that they're going to be participants in a previously established storyline a la dinner theater, though, and that nobody's going to throw a tantrum when they can't stage their own "slaughter of the younglings" in the lightsaber training room.
I realize the logistics of a full-on LARP aren't possible. However, Disney has been pushing the "become part of the story" thing since the get-go, and the price tag, especially, tells me that they've convinced themselves that this is miles above the character experiences that are available in the parks and resorts...when so far it really doesn't look like it is. Hence my accusation of executive hubris.

Incomudro

I realize the logistics of a full-on LARP aren't possible. However, Disney has been pushing the "become part of the story" thing since the get-go, and the price tag, especially, tells me that they've convinced themselves that this is miles above the character experiences that are available in the parks and resorts...when so far it really doesn't look like it is. Hence my accusation of executive hubris.
Yes, that's why I say that I don't expect Disney to do anything far outside of what Disney already does with this experience.
That's not meant to put it down, it's likely to be great fun in the way that interactions with the actors on the streets of Hollywood Studios are, or those actors that were in the UK at Epcot.
I think if grown adults think they're going to go in with their own character in their minds and worn with their outfits, and believe that the actors have to treat them as such their entire stay, they should be adult enough to temper those expectations and adjust accordingly.

ImperfectPixie

Yes, that's why I say that I don't expect Disney to do anything far outside of what Disney already does with this experience.
That's not meant to put it down, it's likely to be great fun in the way that interactions with the actors on the streets of Hollywood Studios are, or those actors that were in the UK at Epcot.
I think if grown adults think they're going to go in with their own character in their minds and worn with their outfits, and believe that the actors have to treat them as such their entire stay, they should be adult enough to temper those expectations and adjust accordingly.
Which would be fine...but worth $6000?!?!? Nope. Even if the price were $2000, I'd expect much better than what the itinerary shows.

correcaminos

Disney has been way too focused on Princesses for too long (which are geared towards little girls visiting theme parks). They're treating what is supposed to be a LARP experience as if it's on the same playing field as afternoon tea at the GF or dinner at 1900 Park Fare, when LARPing is in a completely different league. (For the record, I'm not knocking the afternoon tea or dinner - I love dinner at 1900.) Yes, there's acting involved for the CMs that make those experiences happen, but what makes those fun is that it's a "show" where the characters pretend they are unaware that the guests are theme park visitors. The guests aren't part of the story...they're on the outside, looking in. That's not what LARPing is...it's not even close. I think it's safe to say that Disney didn't bring on a single person who is an expert in planning LARP experiences, and that they thought the people who plan the in-park character activities would be able to handle this.

As far as the marketing goes...they're marketing it like they market the theme parks. Commercials showing what everything looks like with an appearance by a character now and then...but there has to be some kind of verbiage, so they threw in a couple of guys talking about much work went into it (no little girl in a princess dress running down the castle stairs or toddler running to hug Mickey). But again...people don't expect to be "part of the story" when they visit MK. I know many of us love behind-the-scenes specials, but commercials and previews of a LARP are supposed to get us excited to actually participate...not feel like a pre-teen making a YouTube video explaining how many hours they spent creating a Lego project and choosing just the right colors. Everything they've released so far indicates that they're looking at the Halcyon the same way they look at Cinderella's Castle or the Millennium Falcon...and that should send red flags up all over the place. And for the love of all things good, Disney needs to stop trying to market things in the same way "influencers" do.

I really think this is the moment that Disney's executive hubris is going to bite them where it hurts. HARD.
To be fair I am not sure how this could be LARPing really. Immersive cosplay but unless we had a game to play this isn't ever supposed to be like LARPing either. I personally don't LARP but have people who do in my life. This is not a LARP. Even if you expected a cosplay (being a generic character) we have to know that not all were doing it anyway. But to keep using LARP - Live Action Role Play game - not right to try to do so.

I would have wanted to try this being a huge SW FSN but given I don't love that much immersion for that long I backed out to wait. I'm still waiting and seeing but unless there is a price drop I cannot imagine doing this. Bu

ImperfectPixie

To be fair I am not sure how this could be LARPing really. Immersive cosplay but unless we had a game to play this isn't ever supposed to be like LARPing either. I personally don't LARP but have people who do in my life. This is not a LARP. Even if you expected a cosplay (being a generic character) we have to know that not all were doing it anyway. But to keep using LARP - Live Action Role Play game - not right to try to do so.

I would have wanted to try this being a huge SW FSN but given I don't love that much immersion for that long I backed out to wait. I'm still waiting and seeing but unless there is a price drop I cannot imagine doing this. Bu
Yup...immersive cosplay is what they've been pushing it as...but it's not even that from what we've seen so far.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They kinda created their own mess here…were they intent to “put you in Star Wars”…or “do the minimum investment to get to good enough?”
Which would be fine...but worth $6000?!?!? Nope. Even if the price were $2000, I'd expect much better than what the itinerary shows.
That is hubris and that’s Bob I…blue sky…believing there’s Is no limit to the price of your product. Minor things for $2500 a person made sense in their planning meetings.

…they probably should have left it alone then? Which is exactly the mistake they made with what happened 1 minute after yub yub in the franchise canon…

Making Star Wars is huge risk with even bigger reward in Hollywood. The real original sin is that Hollywood views it as no risk, guaranteed reward. It still can’t suck. Why anyone even thought that was up for debate is insane.
It’s the most complex “popcorn” franchise ever…and that’s because it’s the first. And it was rhe biggest…and we’re not dead yet

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

They kinda created their own mess here…were they intent to “put you in Star Wars”…or “do the minimum investment to get to good enough?”

That is hubris and that’s Bob I…blue sky…believing there’s Is no limit to the price of your product. Minor things for $2500 a person made sense in their planning meetings.

…they probably should have left it alone then? Which is exactly the mistake they made with what happened 1 minute after yub yub in the franchise canon…

Making Star Wars is huge risk with even bigger reward in Hollywood. The real original sin is that Hollywood views it as no risk, guaranteed reward. It still can’t suck. Why anyone even thought that was up for debate is insane.
It’s the most complex “popcorn” franchise ever…and that’s because it’s the first. And it was rhe biggest…and we’re not dead yet
The execs need to take a step back and do some self-evaluation. They should be asking themselves if THEY would be willing to shell out the kind of money they're demanding for what they're offering. If the answer is "no", then try again.

correcaminos

Making Star Wars is huge risk with even bigger reward in Hollywood. The real original sin is that Hollywood views if as no risk, guaranteed revenue.
Reality is they shouldn't have tried to claim it was luxury with a luxury price tag when it misses.
Yup...immersive cosplay is what they've been pushing it as...but it's not even that from what we've seen so far.
That's how us SW Fans (not FSN, not sure what my phone thought lol) were viewing it. You know us nerds who play with our $200 legacy sabers with "duels" types. I love outdoors and shut in personally was meh on me. Others fear lack of immersion. What excited us before isn't now.

That couple posted reminds me of many Disney apologists. I wouldn't trust their views. Half joking but kinda not - anyone wearing Book of Boba Fett shirts like the show was good, makes me question if they will love it just because they drink in all the crap. And honestly Boba sucked... made me wonder why they wrote what they did.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The execs need to take a step back and do some self-evaluation. They should be asking themselves if THEY would be willing to shell out the kind of money they're demanding for what they're offering. If the answer is "no", then try again.
Not to be a harbinger…but the execs are by far the lowest quality they’ve ever been right now. They make Ron Miller look like a cross between davinci and Picasso…

…so it will take a financial crisis at Disney followed by stock revolt to correct any of their course. The Disney management doesn’t have any “disney” in them at all.

Thanks, Bob…who rode out what was left of the old mentality until they were all gone/dead and left nothing on the shelf.

WDWJoeG

Disney execs don't like theme parks - they wouldn't pay a one day price to go to one and spend the day waiting in line like a normal guest if their lives depended on it - let alone pay to stay in a Star Wars hotel dressed up like a character.

They look at all of their products as playing to stupid suckers (and they're usually right).

ImperfectPixie

Disney execs don't love theme parks - they wouldn't pay a one day price to go to one if their lives depended on it - let alone pay to stay in a Star Wars hotel dressed up like a character.

They look at all of their products as playing to stupid suckers (and they're usually right).
At this point, it's becoming a BIG problem for the company. It's fine if they don't like theme parks, but they should be able to put themselves in their guests' shoes enough to see when they're making huge missteps.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Reality is they shouldn't have tried to claim it was luxury with a luxury price tag when it misses.

That’s wdw as a whole…all of it. It was not designed or built to hold that mantle…which is why it’s been so successful.

And they decided they wanted “boutique”…which carries expectations they have never shown an ability to handle. The “grand” was never “grand” at all. Been behind the curtain.

So they will have a long, painful shakeout with this…I think. They could have just done an All-Stars for $400 a night with cheese Star Wars and scratched the customers itch. but they also approved/designed this thing when they believed what they were doing with Star Wars was correct…and that isn’t even close only a few years later. The entire franchise is anchored on one streaming show and OT toys right now.

Hubris is the only word that fits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's how us SW Fans (not FSN, not sure what my phone thought lol) were viewing it. You know us nerds who play with our $200 legacy sabers with "duels" types. I love outdoors and shut in personally was meh on me. Others fear lack of immersion. What excited us before isn't now.

That couple posted reminds me of many Disney apologists. I wouldn't trust their views. Half joking but kinda not - anyone wearing Book of Boba Fett shirts like the show was good, makes me question if they will love it just because they drink in all the crap. And honestly Boba sucked... made me wonder why they wrote what they did.
The vloggers have made a lot of money farting around…so more power to them. But are they “objective”? Hell no…they exist on clicks. Good work if you can get it…but it’s not work and you can’t Truss It

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom