News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

draybook

Honestly, what are you going on about? You realize you are talking about a 5-10 minute trip between the resort and the park. Of course no one is paying 6 grand to ride a bus. It's a baked in cost like every other bus from resort to the park.

Again, what does that have to do with what the guest will experience if it was this box truck or bus if they are both themed to the same standards? That is acknowledging that that standard could be sub par of expectations with what we have seen so far from this project.

I'm "going on" about the whole experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I feel like a lot of people are missing the point of the POTENTIAL issues with this format of "shuttle". The other examples listed, like the hogwarts express, the shuttle ship on ROTR etc. don't have the issue of trying to overcome the feeling of being on a truck with the kind of starting/stopping, rubber wheels, noises, etc. and the original concept art felt like it was just going to be a slightly nicer themed Disney bus.

Also, I recall some of the testing they were doing with LED lights and music on a regular Disney bus that had some Star Wars stuff....hoping it's way better than that.

Yes, I realize that I too am guilty of what I complained about in the GOTG thread, judging something before it's finished...just feel like we have to take each of these situations as separate ones. Some will end up better than we expect, some will not.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Honestly, what are you going on about? You realize you are talking about a 5-10 minute trip between the resort and the park. Of course no one is paying 6 grand to ride a bus. It's a baked in cost like every other bus from resort to the park.

Again, what does that have to do with what the guest will experience if it was this box truck or bus if they are both themed to the same standards? That is acknowledging that that standard could be sub par of expectations with what we have seen so far from this project.

Because of optics. If you're marketing a 6k - 2 night stay, nobody is looking at a box truck as a perk. It looks cheap. It sounds cheap. And it is cheap.

I don't know the exact pick up/drop off points. But it looks to be a quarter-to a half mile between Starcruiser and SWGE. Disney couldn't invest in an enclosure with a moving walkway to transit between the two, or even some type of people mover type concept? The trucks aren't free. There are operational costs on the trucks. Disney could have sucked it up and developed something a little better for guest experience.

lazyboy97o

Do we know if this box truck will be backing into the loading bay? I ask because, if it will, there is also the real-world need for the unmistakable truck backup sound and the need for every driver to get it exactly right every time also, with people on board. The only other way to make it seem more seamless would be for all motion with people onboard to be forward motion (i.e., backing in to pick them up and driving into the bay to drop them off). But with a return trip required, it would seem that there would need to be a backing in or out at some point.
The door is on the side and the loading areas are shown to be set up for side loading. There should be no need for backing up while moving guests.

Sir_Cliff

I don't know the exact pick up/drop off points. But it looks to be a quarter-to a half mile between Starcruiser and SWGE. Disney couldn't invest in an enclosure with a moving walkway to transit between the two, or even some type of people mover type concept? The trucks aren't free. There are operational costs on the trucks. Disney could have sucked it up and developed something a little better for guest experience.
A problem with those solutions is that they wouldn't make a bunch of sense within the story of the Starcruiser. They have to find some way of simulating a shuttle from space to a planet, so I'm not sure what options they really had. Perhaps they could have built some kind of simulator that runs on a track. Despite the massive price point for the hotel, I must admit that I kind of understand why they might have felt this was overkill for transporting a few hundred people a relatively short distance every other day.

Sir_Cliff

I’m waiting for others to leak it
Leak?!?

christmas vacation GIF by hero0fwar

techgeek

The problem with those solutions is that they wouldn't make a bunch of sense within the story of the Starcruiser. They have to find some way of simulating a shuttle from space to a planet, so I'm not sure what options they really had. Perhaps they could have built some kind of simulator that runs on a track. Despite the massive price point for the hotel, I must admit that I kind of understand why they might have felt this was overkill for transporting a few hundred people a relatively short distance every other day.

The Halcyon itself could have landed on Battu, and you simply walk down the gangplank and into the spaceport. Enclosed moving walkways over the parking lot are themed to moving from your ‘docking bay’ through the spaceport itself… just like walking from the gate at MCO. Or build the thing closer to the park in the first place. The need for a transport shuttle in the first place is a self-inflicted design consideration.

jinx8402

Do we know if this box truck will be backing into the loading bay? I ask because, if it will, there is also the real-world need for the unmistakable truck backup sound and the need for every driver to get it exactly right every time also, with people on board. The only other way to make it seem more seamless would be for all motion with people onboard to be forward motion (i.e., backing in to pick them up and driving into the bay to drop them off). But with a return trip required, it would seem that there would need to be a backing in or out at some point.
I saw that the doors are on both sides of the box truck, so they can drive straight into each port. Probably another reason they went that route vs a bus.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This truck talk is silly…a diversion. I agree with that.

but the spectre here is that they sure seem to be doing the Bobs “what’s enough?” Thing here and it’s a much bigger risk than a bad land in a park or two…

premium has to put premium into the design and operation or this will struggle greatly. I really hope it’s something worth doing so I will consider it…but I can’t shake the thought that it’s going to be placement from the general hiring pool into set activities where the “excitement” is those CMs trying to act from a hastily thrown together script that ignores why people liked Star Wars and them clapping/shouting at people to “motivate” the excitement.

it also seems frightfully streamlined and uniform…after talking about “individual experience” for 10 damn years…doing nothing of the sort here to save costs isnt gonna be hidden by duster platitudes. Not this time.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Are you paying 6 grand to ride that bus? If you are, I'll come down there and drive you around in a 2015 Explorer for half that price and you'll have it all to yourself.

Also, the itinerary looks lame as can be. It seriously looks like the lineup of events I'd expect to see at a local anime/comic convention.

So what method of transport from the Starcruiser to GE would make it worth the money for you?

jinx8402

I'm "going on" about the whole experience.
OK, so I was just confused on why you made my point about the box truck (and pointing out that an RV that people would consider a fairly comfortable passenger vehicle is basically a box truck) vs bus as the mode of transportation between the resort and park and you made it about the whole experience not being worth 6 grand. And from what I've seen so far, I agree with you on that point, but that was unrelated to what I was posting about.

durangojim

It appears the door is on the side and not the back, so they can just pull up and then pull through

pdude81

I'd have to assume this drives straight forward because it would have to be a loop with multiple "pods" to transport people in a reasonable timeframe in the morning. Also you could have one returning to the ship at the same time the other is heading to Batuu

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Because of optics. If you're marketing a 6k - 2 night stay, nobody is looking at a box truck as a perk. It looks cheap. It sounds cheap. And it is cheap.

I have read the marketing for this and have seen not mention of a box truck, it just says that you can " jump on a transport to the planet Batuu".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom