News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

SWGalaxys_Edge

On RotR, the first shuttle you board is just a box on a very big turntable. The outside you see doesn't move at all, it's just a facade.

Everyone's favorite, the Hydrolator, was just a box that didn't go anywhere.
1stfloor.png

SWGalaxys_Edge

All of you nay-sayers, who have not experienced 1 second of the Halcyon - do you also sit at home watching TV and when you see a commercial for a new movie yell "This movie sucks. I'm not going to see it based on this 30 second commercial'? - yeah you prob. do. - It gets old folks. I like to come to this group to discuss the Halcyon, not endless posts about how crappy it will be based on nothing. Maybe the mods need a separate sub for you - "Galactic Nay-Sayers" and then you can show how much you [don't] know, to each other.

Your judgment is clouded by your...
(1) Hate of Disney
(2) Hate of [insert Disney CEO name here]
(3) Hate of Star Wars (why are you here?)

Good Lord. Disney is trying to give fans a different experience and you constant nay-sayers just choose to on anything and everything. Is your life that ty that this is what you need to do for entertainment?

You don't have to be rah-rah about this - but for freaking sakes can you attempt to hold judgment until (1) you experience it - which most of you will not (2) Watch someone else's video of the experience. Even watching someone else attend, it won't give you the feelings of being there, but its more than what you have right now - nothing. If you are still hung up on the bad commercials - move on. We get it - crappy commercials. (refer to my movie analogy earlier)

Holy , Hallelujah - where's the tylenol...

JoeCamel

All of you nay-sayers, who have not experienced 1 second of the Halcyon - do you also sit at home watching TV and when you see a commercial for a new movie yell "This movie sucks. I'm not going to see it based on this 30 second commercial'? - yeah you prob. do. - It gets old folks. I like to come to this group to discuss the Halcyon, not endless posts about how crappy it will be based on nothing. Maybe the mods need a separate sub for you - "Galactic Nay-Sayers" and then you can show how much you [don't] know, to each other.

(1) Hate of Disney

Good Lord. Disney is trying to give fans a different experience and you constant nay-sayers just choose to **** on anything and everything. Is your life that ****ty that this is what you need to do for entertainment?

You don't have to be rah-rah about this - but for freaking sakes can you attempt to hold judgment until (1) you experience it - which most of you will not (2) Watch someone else's video of the experience. Even watching someone else attend, it won't give you the feelings of being there, but its more than what you have right now - nothing. If you are still hung up on the bad commercials - move on. We get it - crappy commercials. (refer to my movie analogy earlier)

Holy ****, Hallelujah - where's the tylenol...
You seem to be a little invested in the outcome of this....

JoeCamel

@Olangotang "You know what, that moving walkway idea sounds so much better than this."
Are you going under, over or around the firelane that has to be kept clear?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member

(1) Hate of Disney

Good Lord. Disney is trying to give fans a different experience and you constant nay-sayers just choose to **** on anything and everything. Is your life that ****ty that this is what you need to do for entertainment?

If you don't want to hear criticism, justified or not, stay off the internet.

Incomudro

(1) Hate of Disney

I don't suffer from any of those three things, well... Ok, maybe a nit of the second one.
If anything, I'm a Pixie Duster here.
I haven't been to Galaxy's Edge for instance (we'll be there in March) but GE looks amazing to me and so does Smuggler's Run which takes its share of jabs.
This Halcyon experience or rather what they've put into it - just seems to under deliver, particularly as a paid for big buck experience.
So many things just keep coming down in big notches.
Many people thought that a transport would "fly" guests down to Batuu, with screens, sounds, and an interior simulating flight.
I for one found that hard to believe when the vehicle that was disclosed as being used for that was a bus.
Now, it's a box truck.
So now, I'm virtually positive that not only will this transport not be flying guests down to Batuu.
I'm going to bet that there are no screens even simulating an outdoor view.
Guests will be loaded into into a utilitarian Star Wars themed cargo truck.

flynnibus

Premium Member
don't have the issue of trying to overcome the feeling of being on a truck with the kind of starting/stopping, rubber wheels, noises, etc.

Just like the other examples.. when you take control over all of a person's senses, you can be quite convincing. Being on a truck really doesn't matter that much.. insulation fixes the noise issues and movement can be disguised with other sensory input. Alas what we see here is probably limited to light, sound, and rumble effects. Choreography is the key to convincing people of things.. the question is 'how far did Disney go?'

Based on the bits we have seen now, I'm not convinced very far :(

MoonRakerSCM

The real problem here is an absolute utter failure from Disney's marketing. They've done zero good marketing for this and that's why people are latching onto any little tidbit they can about this thing.

Had Disney released little tidbit videos of the experience in a proper manner, we would be sitting here chuckling about the transport being a box truck instead of seeing the out of context photos in disbelief.

Imagine a series of like, a twilek family arriving onto the cruise with a bit of Star Tours loading video humor and flair. Showing off the luxuries of the hotel/room and exciting people... Instead our only look at the room is a color scheme floorplan/schematic that looks no better than a room at a value resort.

The only thing marketing has shown, has been a disaster and shown the cheap route was taken... How are people not supposed to be assuming everything's on the cheap after that?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just like the other examples.. when you take control over all of a person's senses, you can be quite convincing. Being on a truck really doesn't matter that much.. insulation fixes the noise issues and movement can be disguised with other sensory input. Alas what we see here is probably limited to light, sound, and rumble effects. Choreography is the key to convincing people of things.. the question is 'how far did Disney go?'

Based on the bits we have seen now, I'm not convinced very far :(
Agreed, the box truck nature of this is irrelevant IF they went all out on the interior. If they really tried, it could be a great experience. We'll see what they did.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The real problem here is an absolute utter failure from Disney's marketing. They've done zero good marketing for this and that's why people are latching onto any little tidbit they can about this thing.

Had Disney released little tidbit videos of the experience in a proper manner, we would be sitting here chuckling about the transport being a box truck instead of seeing the out of context photos in disbelief.

Imagine a series of like, a twilek family arriving onto the cruise with a bit of Star Tours loading video humor and flair. Showing off the luxuries of the hotel/room and exciting people... Instead our only look at the room is a color scheme floorplan/schematic that looks no better than a room at a value resort.

The only thing marketing has shown, has been a disaster and shown the cheap route was taken... How are people not supposed to be assuming everything's on the cheap after that?
My view is they should have gone the Club 33 approach and done no marketing. I think it would have sold itself, at least initially, and it would have been a much more mysterious and exclusive experience - which is really should be given its price. It has been marketed like something that would cost $200 a night - its very odd to me.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I disagree about needing to spoil things.. the exclusivity/low volume aspect of this is part of the justification/lure. It's uniqueness. You don't want all the juice spilled.

But I do agree that the promotional materials they did put out were garbage.

correcaminos

(1) Hate of Disney

What I hate is when people make snap judgments on others like this and then use a quote I love at the end. I am a SW lover and still a Disney lover. I have friends who would legit love this and they are even worried. I personally am not the cos play style so I was waiting to see if this was worth it. I see a ton of red flags. I hope I'm wrong but want to give it time to see. So not a hater, but definite not an apologist either. Rather a realist.

kingdead

(1) Hate of Disney

If I go to a movie and it's bad, I'm out $20 at most ($35 if I get snacks). It's the value here that's doing my head in, not necessarily the content.

durangojim

This nails it exactly. I was ready to spend $10K or more on a amazingly great Star Wars experience for my family and myself. After seeing the promos Disney put out we all have 0 interest in doing this anymore. I'm feeling more disappointment than anything. I love Galaxy's Edge and love both Smugglers and rise because I feel like I'm immersed in Star Wars and I can suspend my disbelief. Shoot, I have a room in my home dedicated to Star Wars with every single lightsaber they've released on Batuu including the newest Maul saber. If they can't convince me to go who the heck are they going to convince after the bloggers get their gratis experiences? I don't like Chapek, but I love Disney and Star Wars and wanted to love this but in this case nothing they've shown me makes me even like this. It's not me, it you, Star War space cruiser Halcyon.

Cesar R M

Who would see it? CM's in the backstage parking lot it travels across? And if any non-CM saw it, they'd just think it's a generic box truck.

It's honestly like worrying what the exterior of the Haunted Mansion stretch rooms or Living Seas hydrolators look like to the maintenance guys. Who's gonna see it? Who would care?
I CARE
Samuel_Johnson_by_Joshua_Reynolds.jpg

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom