News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think they failed on a number of fronts:
- They made it about future Star Wars instead of the past movies. I think Kennedy was right in one regard: "The land should be about the stories we're going to tell and not locked into the 40yo movies." Still - you have to make good movies for that to pan out. They didn't. They pretty well screwed the pooch there.

I think the Mandalorian is the template for how to do this right. It's a new story with new characters, but enough links back to the original movies that it feels like "Star Wars". The new movies just didn't strike that balance properly.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perhaps it's all those people who spend 7 hours on the phone booking for 'the fun of it' who will cancel shortly after? :rolleyes:
…turns out…that is what is happening to a certain extent. The booking window/deposit system encouraged it. But Bob got to say he “wasn’t screwing this one up”

1639417071071.gif

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

Or, if this thing is really a "black box"... they could have space to tweak the current stories and fix whats not working.

I think the worst part is.. are Disney promos showing us the BEST PART?
If yes.. I can't imagine how bad the "other" parts will look like.

On the other side.. if they are showing the most generic parts to keep the real good stuff for the paying customers... Which I think most people here hope..
Yes, very Star Wars "There Is Always Hope".

UNCgolf

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of building and fire codes. OSHA is under the department of labor and only handles occupational safety (workplace related stuff). None of the exits at anyplace I've worked have had lit exit signs.

No, I know -- I assumed it would apply at hotels because they have employees.

OSHA has regulations requiring exits to have a sign labeled "exit" and they require exits to be lit adequately, but I don't think they actually require the exit sign itself to be lit. I'm also not sure of where specifically those regulations apply. Everywhere I've worked has had the lit red (or sometimes green) exit signs, though.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

The ripped out multiple crowd-eating attractions to build GE. If you kept the same number of guests in the parks, they gotta go somewhere. There's just so much shopping you can do, after all. So, the Cantina and Docking Bay 7 are the "attractions".
I'm not talking about attractions per se. I'm talking about number of people and apparent sales/usage.

Cesar R M

I saw all of the recent YouTube videos talking about how crappy the Star Wars Hotel looked.

Galaxy's Edge:

I think it depends on what "successful" means. Does it pull in Star Wars fans? Yes. Does it make money? Yes. Is it as good as Harry Potter? No.

I think they failed on a number of fronts:
- They made it about future Star Wars instead of the past movies. I think Kennedy was right in one regard: "The land should be about the stories we're going to tell and not locked into the 40yo movies." Still - you have to make good movies for that to pan out. They didn't. They pretty well screwed the pooch there.
- "Immersive land" - Galaxy's Edge was supposed to be an immersive land filled with actors who'd interact with you. That didn't really happen. They ended up with, in-effect, a high-end retail Star Wars themed strip mall because actors / immersion costs money.

You can see this in how quickly the buzzed died down about it. It was going to be INCREDIBLY BUSY for years!.. It was busy for a month or so.

People come. They get their Star Wars, buy their expensive magic toys, and leave. Disney still won. It's still a success and paying for immersion would have cut into that success.

The Star Cruiser:
Based on the videos, it doesn't look like a $5-6K/2-night experience. Also, the land it dumps you into doesn't add much to that.

At the same time, I think what Disney delivered (sort of) makes sense although it goes against what Star Wars fans were expecting. Disney delivered a space cruise ship. That should look NOTHING like normal Star Wars as normal Star Wars what about beat up / used things. The Millennium Falcon is a beat up ship. The X wings are battle-worn. Everything has marks / dents on it from being in space and battling one side or the other.

The Halcyon (star cruiser) should be an escape from that. It shouldn't look like "beat up Star Wars" but, really, almost nothing like Star Wars but a premium Space Cruise Ship. Making it beat up (to match Star Wars) would be like going on a cruise but taking the junkiest cruise ship you could find.

I think that was a misstep on Disney's part: trying to build a "star cruise ship" and make it match Star Wars. I really think they would have been better off not doing the Star Wars hotel at all or, if they were going to do it, make it be a place that paid tribute to Star Wars, not something that was supposed to be immersive.

They got it right with the Animal Kingdom Lodge. You've got animals just outside your windows/balconies. That's immersive.

They could have made a "Fantasy" hotel that dumped into Fantasyland and I think that would have worked. It's not a bad idea for Universal with a Hogwart's hotel that dumps into that land.

I just think that they missed the mark with both Galaxy's Edge and the hotel. I was thinking the other day that they were actually better off with Star Wars weekends than they are now.
The irony is that we actually seen a very nice and tidy ship in the SOLO movie. Right when Lando still owned the Millenium Falcon, it looked new, fresh and still looked great.

They should have gone that look instead of the plastic super clean look we got.
They could even have taken the CAMINO style from the prequels.
The only vague similarity is the NABOO imperial frigate.. and only some consoles sort of match.

ImperfectPixie

No, I know -- I assumed it would apply at hotels because they have employees.

OSHA has regulations requiring exits to have a sign labeled "exit" and they require exits to be lit adequately, but I don't think they actually require the exit sign itself to be lit. I'm also not sure of where specifically those regulations apply. Everywhere I've worked has had the lit red (or sometimes green) exit signs, though.
I know we're off-topic...but that's interesting...I wonder if it has to do with the number of employees in the building at a time or something. I know it's required for spaces the public uses...apartment buildings, hospitals, etc.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Disney does major refurbs where they reconfigure spaces about every 14 years. Not exactly a nimble timeframe. Anything being used is essentially built to be permanent.

No, they do not. Movie sets are filled with all sorts of things not allowed in real buildings.

Not OSHA, but the EPCOT Building Code, Florida Building Code and Florida Fire Prevention Code. There are also real windows in the rooms because they are required.
You didn't understand what I was responding to.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Re: Emergency Exits. Starships have emergency exits. You could incorporate it to the design. Emergency Exit sign above an Airlock looking door and some wall signs about it being an Escape Pod, only to be used in case of emergency. Green Status lights showing the Pod is ready and available. That hallway is just lazy and it makes me sad. 😢
Thank you! You get the point I was making.

SWGalaxys_Edge

I think the Mandalorian is the template for how to do this right. It's a new story with new characters, but enough links back to the original movies that it feels like "Star Wars". The new movies just didn't strike that balance properly.
'...links back to the original..." lol, that's called Fan Service...

cindy_k

They could even follow a cruise ship aesthetic for exit signage. And as part of the "cruise" they could hold an emergency escape drill. Just like they do on a cruise ship.
Without the standing on a hot and humid ship deck part.

Showing everyone where the 'Escape Pods' are and what they look like in the case of an actual emergency.
That would fill in at least an hour or two of time and could be made fun with actors joining the guests and making comments.

"This is more fun than a day at Jabba's palace"

Patcheslee

Really? I agree that the building code says that (true of home bedroom laws that mandate that any "bedroom" must have a window egress, even in a basement)
But I don't recall seeing any space for an open window in the current room pictures (unless the space screen is really a "curtain" of sorts?)
I'd assume the "muster" call will include a small demonstration of how to evac through any emergency windows they may have.

VaderTron

View attachment 607009

Nobody in a wheelchair is getting through this door, for example.
1) Ramps that pop up out of the floor with a push of the wheelchair ramp button.
2) The lip drops down flush with the floor with a push of the wheelchair ramp button.
3) (Other ideas. I thought of those in a couple of minutes. Maybe someone paid more than me and who has an engineering degree could do better.)

...What happened to imagineering your way out of a problem instead of pigeonholing yourself out of creative solutions? I recall someone...oh....who could say who it was.....anyway...they said, "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

This is what has been lost. Ingenuity and design. Replaced by quickest/cheapest route to more cash grabs.

P.S. If R2D2 can get down a flight of stairs himself there is a solution.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom