News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've never understood the obsession with pools.
A giant bathtub that strangers pee while they're in while you float around in the same water doesn't appeal to me.
Nor does sharing a pool with sweaty tourists+their bratty kids.
A private pool? I'm about it.
A private hot tub? oui, mamacita.
A hotel pool? Nah.

A common misconception about the 'cleanliness' of the pool.. and a pool hatred disproportionally prevailent in the hard core disney fan base. Of which I have theories about, but won't elaborate here ..

flynnibus

Premium Member
I personally think that this will start off as a very controlled and immersive experience, but will very quickly start to be dumbed down and made more like a normal resort. I know this is not a popular opinion, but I truly believe it will happen.

Well it's the classic "start ambitious, and then have to adapt to realities" - something not uncommon when people deal with scale, or the public. It's not a stretch of a prediction by any means. The question will be is if Disney stays true, or placates to the people who are their own worst enemies.

The key here at least is... Disney set out from the start to make something different - not just bolt something onto an existing rider. So there is no real uphill sell on why this is unique and will have unique needs/challenges. I'm of the belief that as long as the talent is practical for Disney to secure and keep... and the demand is strong... it should largely stay true. The adventures club for instance managed to keep mostly ontrack minus being caught up in the larger drama of PI.

My bigger concern is Disney trying to take it larger scale... and what happens then.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which... was exactly what this thing was pitched as doing too. Maybe the thing you like to do isn't there, but there should be plenty of options to satisfy all ages. Remember.. it's a limited time, not an interment.
I was more responding to this:
Also, people need to accept the fact that this is not a hotel in the traditional sense, thus, no pool. There will be no amenities to just hang out at as an alternative to participating in the LARP. You don't want to LARP? Stay in your room and read. This isn't a hotel, it's an event.
So if this is the plan, then no amenities and nothing to do but role play. That’s a very different concept than most Disney fans are accustomed to.

I also get that it’s not a weeks long thing, but many people don’t visit WDW for weeks at a time either. It very well could be some people’s entire visit. Several days is not an internment but it’s certainly way, way longer than any “event” they have tried before. Disney will really need to bring their A game and make the stories work because there won’t be anything to fall back on.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I was more responding to this:

So if this is the plan, then no amenities and nothing to do but role play. That’s a very different concept than most Disney fans are accustomed to.

I also get that it’s not a weeks long thing, but many people don’t visit WDW for weeks at a time either. It very well could be some people’s entire visit. Several days is not an internment but it’s certainly way, way longer than any “event” they have tried before. Disney will really need to bring their A game and make the stories work because there won’t be anything to fall back on.

Seems to be a very intimate environment. They will make it work.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Seems to be a very intimate environment. They will make it work.
I’m cautiously optimistic. It could actually be amazing. I’m just surprised that Disney didn’t build in the fall backs. If 24/7 role playing doesn’t work they could have paired it down to several daily offerings plus a meal or 2 and the rest of your time there could be spent doing more “traditional” vacation stuff. Without that stuff they need to have enough options to last the whole day.

sedati

These are definitely the same interior/exterior, note the window on the ceiling matches:
swr029384024234234324343.jpg

swr093423423430493043.jpg

So, I noticed the engines look like they turn, so this may launch vertically and dock horizontally.

Also note the Astromech droid at the head of the shuttle.

donsullivan

Premium Member
These are definitely the same interior/exterior, note the window on the ceiling matches:
View attachment 326659
View attachment 326658

So, I noticed the engines look like they turn, so this may launch vertically and dock horizontally.

Also note the Astromech droid at the head of the shuttle.

This is the inside and outside of the shuttle that will take you from the check-in location on earth up to the station in space. Think of it as an elaborate Hydrolator concept but instead of bringing you to and from the ocean floor you're going from earth up to space instead.

doctornick

Regarding the pool issue, I'll admit to being a little surprised by not having that as a feature. I wonder if part of the motivation would be the difficulty keeping things "in universe" with a pool. Sure, they could theme the room easily enough, but there would be a decided lack of in universe swim attire. And is would likely be difficult to have missions/role playing experiences tied to the pool. Perhaps it was just viewed as too much "breaking the illusion".

I think, though, that a fitness area could be pulled out. Even with classes that could work in theme. I think that could still end up on the final plans, but I guess we'll see what the second floor ends up looking like.

Also, is it possible that there could be a basement level? I know they typically would not build down in Florida, but there is a compelling reason to ensure the resort is not too tall (in order to keep it hidden, even at check in).

Anyhow, I do wonder if they could take it too far with immersion if they lack any entertainment options besides LARPing. I'm not saying that that shouldn't be considered the bulk of the experience and something that can be the entirety. But having some other options for people who need a break -- as long as the options don't harm the illusions for others -- might be a nice compromise. There could be some "optional" areas that are away from the main LARP/storyline but still in theme -- a library, a game room, etc. Well, I suppose we will find out eventually.

Lensman

Anyhow, I do wonder if they could take it too far with immersion if they lack any entertainment options besides LARPing. I'm not saying that that shouldn't be considered the bulk of the experience and something that can be the entirety. But having some other options for people who need a break -- as long as the options don't harm the illusions for others -- might be a nice compromise. There could be some "optional" areas that are away from the main LARP/storyline but still in theme -- a library, a game room, etc. Well, I suppose we will find out eventually.
A while back I wondered if they were going to show Earth tv or have some miraculous interstellar connection to Netflix and the internet with in-cabin wifi. Note: I think we had universal agreement that they'd have some kind of miracle interstellar cellphone relay to Earth on the ship. :)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I personally think that this will start off as a very controlled and immersive experience, but will very quickly start to be dumbed down and made more like a normal resort. I know this is not a popular opinion, but I truly believe it will happen.

I don't know about "dumbed down" per se, but I do think the whole 2-day non-stop fully themed "adventure" going on is probably not what most guests REALLY want.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
But this resort is not aimed at most guests, it is aimed squarely at Star Wars fans and this is exactly what they will really want and will happily pay Disney for this experience and book that place out solid for months. People need to remember that this Hotel is going to be a test by Disney for a more tailored experience, instead of the usual hotel, sit by the pool, use the facilities etc you get a 2 day adventure, if this is successful Disney will roll the concept out to the different Disney Parks around the world with varying themes.

CinematicFusion

From the “Star Wars” hotel to “galaxy’s edge” it looks like guests will enter the “transport hall” and walk through a gangway/corridor that opens up directly onto a shuttle bus, which will then take them to the park.
Question is... will this bus be enhanced so the illusion of being in space won’t be broken? Sort of like the Harry Potter train at universal or does the illusion begin and end with the elevator at the hotel?
BFEDB107-7C17-469D-8D5D-6D125FD67BC9.jpeg
C1D85731-4E04-44D4-B881-F7EB2AC00BA1.jpeg
7945BCE5-509C-49E5-B729-866D0331AC5B.jpeg

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I had always just assumed that you were visitors to that ship / experience from earth. This is literally a space cruise ship where the theme is we are visiting this planet aboard this ship. My assumption is that you the guest won’t be larping so much as participating in “cruise” activities and such hosted by the cruise directors who are in theme Star Wars beings. Think the game Disneyland tested in Frontierland.

That makes it easier to decide what you want to participate in and the level at which you are engaged.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
But this resort is not aimed at most guests, it is aimed squarely at Star Wars fans and this is exactly what they will really want and will happily pay Disney for this experience and book that place out solid for months. People need to remember that this Hotel is going to be a test by Disney for a more tailored experience, instead of the usual hotel, sit by the pool, use the facilities etc you get a 2 day adventure, if this is successful Disney will roll the concept out to the different Disney Parks around the world with varying themes.
If successful this has a good chance of being repeated, but I am still not 100% sold that general Star Wars fans are the target demographic. I know a ton of SW fans, most of them can’t wait for SW Land to open. Nobody who calls themselves a fan of the movies could possibly not think getting to fly the MF is cool, but I’m not sure how many of them really want to spend 2 whole days roleplaying Star Wars. There’s a big jump between a) visiting WDW, spending a half a day in SW Land sucking up all of the joys of being in a galaxy far, far away and then going back to the Polynesian for a swim in the pool before hitting Disney Springs for a nice dinner and drinks and b) spending 2 whole days dressed up in Star Wars gear role playing. I think the target demographic is a subset of overall SW fans in addition to people who may be into role playing and aren’t really huge into SW. Since there’s only 100 rooms there’s probably enough demand to keep the place busy, but it’s a risk.

christine7257

If successful this has a good chance of being repeated, but I am still not 100% sold that general Star Wars fans are the target demographic. I know a ton of SW fans, most of them can’t wait for SW Land to open. Nobody who calls themselves a fan of the movies could possibly not think getting to fly the MF is cool, but I’m not sure how many of them really want to spend 2 whole days roleplaying Star Wars. There’s a big jump between a) visiting WDW, spending a half a day in SW Land sucking up all of the joys of being in a galaxy far, far away and then going back to the Polynesian for a swim in the pool before hitting Disney Springs for a nice dinner and drinks and b) spending 2 whole days dressed up in Star Wars gear role playing. I think the target demographic is a subset of overall SW fans in addition to people who may be into role playing and aren’t really huge into SW. Since there’s only 100 rooms there’s probably enough demand to keep the place busy, but it’s a risk.

Exactly this. I’m a pretty big Star Wars fan/nerd. And I can’t wait for Galaxy’s Edge to open. Can easily see myself hanging out for a half day/day - many times over. But am I up for a 2-3 day cos-play? I’m not sure. Even as a big fan, not sure I could sustain that. Hopefully there is a balance where guests can go “all in” if desired but also take a more supporting role if they’d rather just soak up atmosphere or accompany a super-fan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom