Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is more than obvious there was no through line for this trilogy. I'm not sure if JJ had Rey as a Palpatine from the start. But I do believe the plan was for her to be a somebody. So the vagueness and hints to that in 7 make more sense then in 9. Don't get me wrong, it never truly lines up. And it really was a retcon but I can connect that a lot better than ep8.
But what they shot had nothing...so this is even too “spitbally” for our normal spitball. And attempts to bury the mistakes by diversion.

Again...so prequel era...lots of “George had to change it because” and...”they couldn’t really do it right Because of technology...”
Complete crap then...wooden acting and bad dialogue isn’t something out of your control.

Same here...bad reboot and nonsense sequel stories and bland characters was intentional - not circumstance. Mistakes are probably worse this time because they had the cautionary tale.

The only thing they were “stuck” with was the three old characters...bringing them back was a full mistake if they couldn’t nail it. Not even close

RobWDW1971

But what they shot had nothing...so this is even too “spitbally” for our normal spitball. And attempts to bury the mistakes by diversion.

Again...so prequel era...lots of “George had to change it because” and...”they couldn’t really do it right Because of technology...”
Complete crap then...wooden acting and bad dialogue isn’t something out of your control.

Same here...bad reboot and nonsense sequel stories and bland characters was intentional - not circumstance. Mistakes are probably worse this time because they had the cautionary tale.

The only thing they were “stuck” with was the three old characters...bringing them back was a full mistake if they couldn’t nail it. Not even close
Don't forget Lando! Needed another memberberry for Episode 9!

Tony Perkis

So lemme guess this straight: there is no such thing as a bad movie because it stands to reason that someone does in fact like it?

So singular opinions present group facts...got it.

Glad that isn’t a thing on this type of discussion...again
This is an unhelpful post.

Yes, there are universally-accepted and objectively bad films. Those are reserved for awful schlock like White Chicks, Epic Movie, Home on the Range, Gotti, and the like. And there are universally-accepted and objectively good films, like The Godfather, Goodfellas, Citizen Kane, Beauty and the Beast, and so on.

Otherwise, using a monolithic term to describe a film in a singular way is intellectually lazy. Most films are not universally bad nor good. You can appreciate the craft put into a film without universally praising it. You can criticize the storytelling without having to take a gigantic dump on the rest of it.

Criticizing and praising things in such absolutes, to steal a term, is the work of people who only view things in singular manners, and don’t look at the plurality of what goes into a film. I have little interest in talking with somebody who views things in such a all-or-nothing manner.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is an unhelpful post.

Yes, there are universally-accepted and objectively bad films. Those are reserved for awful schlock like White Chicks, Epic Movie, Home on the Range, Gotti, and the like. And there are universally-accepted and objectively good films, like The Godfather, Goodfellas, Citizen Kane, Beauty and the Beast, and so on.

Otherwise, using a monolithic term to describe a film in a singular way is intellectually lazy. Most films are not universally bad nor good. You can appreciate the craft put into a film without universally praising it. You can criticize the storytelling without having to take a gigantic dump on the rest of it.

Criticizing and praising things in such absolutes, to steal a term, is the work of people who only view things in singular manners, and don’t look at the plurality of what goes into a film. I have little interest in talking with somebody who views things in such a all-or-nothing manner.
To suggest that the audience patterns of a movie are “wrong” is not helpful either...

And yes, you are the one rolling out the “some people liked it” as an acquittal of conclusions. It’s not a courtroom...and if it were, reasonable doubt doesn’t work in the court of entertainment money

The sequel Disney films are not good...they are not enjoyable to watch and not compelling. Disney does not consider this a success in the closed doors.

They are also not good Star Wars franchise films: they don’t pull enough gravitas to grow in popularity over time.

My opinion based on insight into Disney and Star Wars. I’ll wait and see if it’s correct. I have a hunch proven in part by the public moves of the last 3 years

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

Remaking content with simply swapping out gender or races is the height of pandering laziness.
Not necessarily. If the swapping out of race and gender brings a new perspective to the characters and allows the filmmakers to explore territories that were not relevant in prior versions, then that is justification for a remake. It’s offering something new.

If they swap out genres and races without changes to the script and themes, it’s good for representation, but it is much more thematically lazy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not necessarily. If the swapping out of race and gender brings a new perspective to the characters and allows the filmmakers to explore territories that were not relevant in prior versions, then that is justification for a remake. It’s offering something new.

If they swap out genres and races without changes to the script and themes, it’s good for representation, but it is much more thematically lazy.
I agree...but it didn’t work. They offered nothing new to chew on.

The characters are throwaways and the story moved nowhere from scroll to credits in 3 movies.

Tony Perkis

To suggest that the audience patterns of a movie are “wrong” is not helpful either...

And yes, you are the one rolling out the “some people liked it” as an acquittal of conclusions. It’s not a courtroom...and if it were, reasonable doubt doesn’t work in the court of entertainment money
Audience members should never dictate what, about, how, and why films are made. By definition, half of all humans are below average intelligence, and pandering to them leads to a poor product. In an ideal world, the audiences should be discounted entire from the filmmaking process. Let the creators make what they intend, and then let the aftermath begin. That’s how you get better films.

And again, I made that comment knowing you were gonna try to arbitrarily attribute final designations on a films quality in a singular manner.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Audience members should never dictate what, about, how, and why films are made. By definition, half of all humans are below average intelligence, and pandering to them leads to a poor product. In an ideal world, the audiences should be discounted entire from the filmmaking process. Let the creators make what they intend, and then let the aftermath begin. That’s how you get better films.

And again, I made that comment knowing you were gonna try to arbitrarily attribute final designations on a films quality in a singular manner.
This just doesn’t make any sense.

Movies are made to generate money based on audience acceptance. It drives consumption and these are made by money sucking conglomerate companies.

Movies CAN be art...but a sleazier form of it. It’s not a Rodin or a Picasso.

It is what it is.

Tony Perkis

This just doesn’t make any sense.

Movies are made to generate money based on audience acceptance. It drives consumption and these are made by money sucking conglomerate companies.

Movies CAN be art...but a sleazier form of it. It’s not a Rodin or a Picasso.

It is what it is.

Your viewpoint of film is very different than mine. The vast majority of films are made without consideration of pleasing audiences.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Your viewpoint of film is very different than mine. The vast majority of films are made without consideration of pleasing audiences.
And I certainly can appreciate that...

But Star Wars is the “square peg” for the “round hole” of art.

And now I think I understand your take on manboy Johnson...

You want to be intellectually pinged...when I believe the majority of Star Wars fans did and still want more guttural emotional response.

More basic.

The manifestation of that was criticism of empire being “too depressing”...that was always wrong.
It made you ache for the good guys to get back on top. It was the bridge that worked. That’s why it is the best.

The other film I refer too - different scenario because the didn’t have to write it - was the two towers.

It was how Jackson cut it that made it work....loss, loss, loss, loss...comeback starts and then you know it’s on.

That’s why Jedi made more box office...and its why the “inferior” return of the king did too...

The victory lap made sense...and yes, made the ends justify the means based on the strength of the bridge.

That didn’t happen here at all. Not one bit. There is no argument. Failed at the business disney sells shares of.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

But what they shot had nothing...so this is even too “spitbally” for our normal spitball. And attempts to bury the mistakes by divers
Don't worry, I'm not trying to bury anything. I've made my thoughts on how mishandled I think this was.
Wellllllllllllll sort of. Movies like star wars, or any pop icon franchise, are different animals. With big iconic brands you inherently have some responsibility to the fans. Otherwise why bother making it, you aren't going to all of a sudden garner some new fanbase that wasn't there before. There are some expectations that you should be trying to meet. No major corporation wants an "aftermath" on anything that they do, especially Disney. And if that is what Disney wanted, why not just skip the whole song and dance, say it's been 100yrs since the fall of the empire, and just do whatever your heart wants.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wellllllllllllll sort of. Movies like star wars, or any pop icon franchise, are different animals. With big iconic brands you inherently have some responsibility to the fans. Otherwise why bother making it, you aren't going to all of a sudden garner some new fanbase that wasn't there before. There are some expectations that you should be trying to meet. No major corporation wants an "aftermath" on anything that they do, especially Disney. And if that is what Disney wanted, why not just skip the whole song and dance, say it's been 100yrs since the fall of the empire, and just do whatever your heart wants.
Yes...I can’t believe there’s even blowback on this concept.

Tony can hate disney for acting like a fan catering studio...but Jesus, that’s what they ARE!

We knew the goal from day one: which happened to be when a hurricane was ripping through New York and Boston...

It was never NOT going to be about maximum return.

But they screwed it up. So bad. Lucas didn’t get a pass 15 years ago and Disney should get less. They knew how backlash was gonna play.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just happened upon Empire just before the ship lifting on tv....

Man, any comparisons to that work compared to the manufactured crap disney has produced says something about the commenter...

This movie took a simple popcorn bucket movie stitched together in 1977 and added character, story and most importantly universe depth to the franchise...

Wasn’t somebody trying to take a bite out of it the other day to make excuses for Disney?
That’s not a fan...I’m sorry.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

I just happened upon Empire just before the ship lifting on tv....

Man, any comparisons to that work compared to the manufactured crap disney has produced says something about the commenter...

This movie added depth and took a simple popcorn bucket movie stitched together in 1977 and added character, story and most importantly universe depth to the franchise...

Wasn’t somebody trying to take a bite out of it the other day to make excuses for Disney?
That’s not a fan...I’m sorry.
Simply compare Luke’s journey and obstacles in that film to Rey’s “journey” swinging around a lightsaber on a cliff and force-Skyping with her boyfriend.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Simply compare Luke’s journey and obstacles in that film to Rey’s “journey” swinging around a lightsaber on a cliff and force-Skyping with her boyfriend.
It was just so...much...better...

Lucas tried a couple of times to capture the “tug” in the prequels...but his writing, actors and directing generally sucked...

Man...Disney didn’t even bother really...all about “forget the past”.

Forgetting nobody ever forgot the past of Star Wars...that’s why it was Star Wars in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom