Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Mike S

People seem fixated on this notion that Star Wars movies need to match The Force Awakens or Endgame. Everything is a disappointment when the bar is set so high.

Guardians of the Galaxy made around a third of TFA, but no one is suggesting that series end.

Solo obviously bombed, but TLJ is the 9th highest grossing film of all time and RoS should rank pretty high as well when all is said and done. The Star Wars film franchise isn't going anywhere.
Guardians of the Galaxy doesn’t equal the prestige of Star Wars. Star Wars is a juggernaut. It could’ve very easily hit Endgame numbers if the cards were played right. This movie was billed as the grand conclusion of the entire saga and at the end of its run it could possibly not even reach the previous movie’s gross. I think the comparison is pretty appropriate.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Considering the way Disney "Ends Sagas" (Pirates and SW). Maybe they should look at outsourcing these in the future. I'm sure there's a shop in Bangalore that could do as good of a job on a very streamlined budget. The CGI may be a little screwy...but, oh well.

Last edited:

jt04

Well we'll well. Made it this far spoiler free and so happy I did. So much of this movie worked for me. Tied on my list in fourth place with RotS. OT is 1-3. So many fitting conclusions. While leaving the door open a crack.

Did not find Leia scences clunky AT ALL! Very unfair criticism.

Most stunningly beautiful sci-fi film to date.

This is the Finn we wanted in Ep 8. Thank you.

And big praise for the work of Hamill and Ford. This film doesn't work without them.

And Ridley and Driver. Great as usual. And obviously J. Williams.

People commenting that is two movies are correct. Consequently we need a director's cut by JJ!

🍅

9/10

A-

👍👍

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Tied on my list in fourth place with RotS.

That's where I was at (more or less). Had it tied with VII. After further reflection and another viewing (of RoS and RotS and TFA) RotS and TFA edged it out. Probably based on continuity. Abrams did as well as he could do. I still wonder how he would have developed Snoke and TKoR if he had the opportunity to do VIII. I think we'd all be looking at a different IX. I'm still going V, IV, VI, III, VII (because of Han) and then IX, followed by II, I, and then VIII

Last edited:

jt04

That's where I was at. After further reflection and another viewing (of both RoS and RotS) RotS edged it out. Probably based on continuity. Abrams did as well as he could do. I still wonder how he would have developed Snoke and TKoR if he had the opportunity to do VIII. I think we'd all be looking at a different IX.

Fair take. For me this fixes everything from 8 except Snoke. I was never conscious of the film working around the last episode. And never felt any sense of pandering fan service as some have complained. JJ saved the trilogy but I would love a 3 1/2 or 4 hour version.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's where I was at (more or less). Had it tied with VII. After further reflection and another viewing (of RoS and RotS and TFA) RotS and TFA edged it out. Probably based on continuity. Abrams did as well as he could do. I still wonder how he would have developed Snoke and TKoR if he had the opportunity to do VIII. I think we'd all be looking at a different IX. I'm still going V, IV, VI, III, VII (because of Han) and then IX, followed by II, I, and then VIII
Fair take. For me this fixes everything from 8 except Snoke. I was never conscious of the film working around the last episode. And never felt any sense of pandering fan service as some have complained. JJ saved the trilogy but I would love a 3 1/2 or 4 hour version.
I hate to break your date up...

But it’s so clunky and disjointed that the flaws will make it near unwatchable in the future...it’s not gonna resonate.

If you’re say it was a good popcorn flick for the theater...I can see that.

You can doubt me...you might be right 😶

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I hate to break your date up...

But it’s so clunky and disjointed that the flaws will make it near unwatchable in the future...it’s not gonna resonate.

If you’re say it was a good popcorn flick for the theater...I can see that.

You can doubt me...you might be right 😶

Better than 2,1 and 8. That's not saying a lot. But the popcorn was good. So were the cheese nachos (although Disney type expensive). The cola icee was a bit flat.

erasure fan1

And what really makes me angry is that Disney is capable of producing good SW content. Just look at Rogue One and The Mandalorian. Fantastic characters and stories, IMHO. Just leave out the SJW crap and let the content creators create, Disney!
Even after all this, I still feel Disney is plenty capable of creating great star wars. The decision has to be made that story and characters come first. Before timelines, merchandise or anything else. They need to let the creatives do their thing just like how they handled pixar and marvel when they purchased them. Unfortunately Lucasfilm didn't have a Lasseter or Feige, and that's what needs to be fixed first.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Even after all this, I still feel Disney is plenty capable of creating great star wars. The decision has to be made that story and characters come first. Before timelines, merchandise or anything else. They need to let the creatives do their thing just like how they handled pixar and marvel when they purchased them. Unfortunately Lucasfilm didn't have a Lasseter or Feige, and that's what needs to be fixed first.

Ahem...I was an ardent, unwavering defender of Disney buying lucasfilm...

The evidence used to be in the archives of the dustboards...

I didn’t think they would haphazardly wade into this...realizing the mistakes of the prequels/EU and the tremendous long term cross marketing potential.

My faith is “significantly less” now...

The streaming service is a good outlet...but I don’t trust the bobs there either...lots of things yet to be determined

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Couldn't agree more. Make Star Wars for Star Wars. For the vision. For the Story. For the continuity. Don't make it for the fans. When Lucas made A New Hope he didn't make it for the fans. There were no fans. There was only a story. And Disney bastardized the story - even the original one. And here we are.

Make the damn movie, be true to the plot, characters, and the vision - and the fans will follow. Blocks and blocks of them. You can then hold annual conventions, have a day out of the year affectionately named after your movie (s), sell a whole bunch of merchandise, make a lot of money.....................or...............you can "diversify" for the sake of "diversifying", hire a bunch of hacks, push agendas - and then be shocked when your ideas fail to draw what you expected them to draw.

Last edited:

jt04

Pretty sure the Reddit trope going around is 75% fabricated. At least.
If it is real than the overrides were more hit than miss.
So much disinformation is clearly being put fourth from unverified sources.

the only legit criticism is that it is a very dense plot in a very short timeframe. But that may be a bonus with repeat viewings. There is no way to take in everything in one viewing.

Last comment. The planet where it is snowing that is sort of Batuu-esque is so perfectly designed. Looks amazing. Kudos to the concept artists. I want to go back there in prequels/sequels.

😊

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Pretty sure the Reddit trope going around is 75% fabricated

But then again...the Reddit trope was about 95% accurate about the leaks - starting about 2 months before the movie dropped. Not to say there are not agendas being pushed, and dis-information being spread. But the track record regarding this specific movie has been pretty solid.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The bar is set so high because it's Star Wars and past performance. It's the very definition of 'expectations' because it is the biggest franchise around.. nevermind it's supposed to be the saga's finale. Of course it's expected to be big... and if it's not, something is amiss..

When the player with the highest batting average walks up in the bottom of the nineth... yes, big things are expected of them. It's meaningless to compare the performance to some random one.

Disney spent on the film based on expectations... the market has pressure on their performance based on expectations... This is real world stuff to them, not just fan angst.

All true.

But... Anyone with a real sense of history would have come to a different set of expectations, namely, film franchises normally don't do what the MCU did. They generally have their ups and downs and most peter out and collapse over time. The MCU is the exception to the rule... not something easily replicated otherwise every studio would have several 20-movie franchises pulling in a billion dollars per movie. Lucas had mixed results with the prequel. Disney has mixed results with the sequel.

Anyone expecting MCU results from a franchise that already got wobbly legs was being too optimistic. Though, the pent-up demand leading to TFA's 2 billion dollar take would seem to embolden such optimism.

It does show how segmented the Disney studios are. Disney Animation was floundering until it adopted Pixar's methodology of development. But Disney Live Action is still wildly inconsistent. Marvel does gang-busters while LucasFilm is inconsistent.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All true.

But... Anyone with a real sense of history would have come to a different set of expectations, namely, film franchises normally don't do what the MCU did. They generally have their ups and downs and most peter out and collapse over time. The MCU is the exception to the rule... not something easily replicated otherwise every studio would have several 20-movie franchises pulling in a billion dollars per movie. Lucas had mixed results with the prequel. Disney has mixed results with the sequel.

Anyone expecting MCU results from a franchise that already got wobbly legs was being too optimistic. Though, the pent-up demand leading to TFA's 2 billion dollar take would seem to embolden such optimism.

It does show how segmented the Disney studios are. Disney Animation was floundering until it adopted Pixar's methodology of development. But Disney Live Action is still wildly inconsistent. Marvel does gang-busters while LucasFilm is inconsistent.
Nope...

Trying to take into account different viewpoints as the “thud” starts to resonate through the box office...

After all...now is the time to pick up the pieces and maybe hope Disney is listening for a change??

But you lost me on this:

“Anyone with a real sense of history would have come to a different set of expectations, namely, film franchises normally don't do what the MCU did.”

That is as incorrect and devoid of historical understanding as it gets.

You’re basically lowering the bar of Star Wars to transformers or men in black...and that is as wrong as it gets...

I had such I high hopes for humanity earlier today...now it’s dashed ☹

But beyond that...I liked your points about inconsistency and the studios.

You even pointed out that the farce awakens was an event...not a great movie...that has been directly born out in the bad sequels

Last edited:

jt04

Considering that’s the planet that got blown up sequels would be a no go.

Disney+ then. Once they establish these worlds they can revisit them in what are sort of non-sequel sequels. So much world building being done bodes well for the franchise.

I'm expecting more Mandalorian success stories and fewer if any ep 8 disasters. It is amazing to me JJ et al were able to recover this trilogy from the abyss of two years ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

😂😂😂

This 👆🏻👆🏻 Is this pompous basterd on Forbes (who has to be on Disney’s payroll)...spinning an elaborate web of excuses and misdirections - including the obvious amnesia of marvel’s existence or even crap like the fast and the furious - to provide cover for what is going on with Star Wars...right now.

But in there is a hidden admission: this movie is gonna end up well below the current frozen total...and contains a likely error in that it will catch lion king domestically.

It was close to the track near lion king after the first weekend...and looked good after a strong Christmas week...but the last 7 days have been a disaster and we are not gonna see any longevity/rebound now...

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Disney spent on the film based on expectations... the market has pressure on their performance based on expectations... This is real world stuff to them, not just fan angst.

Disney spent $4 billion just to own the license, and then several hundred million more to produce and market each of these movies.

They didn't do this just to break even, or turn a profit every other film.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney spent $4 billion just to own the license, and then several hundred million more to produce and market each of these movies.

They didn't do this just to break even, or turn a profit every other film.

The endgame (no pun...hell...pun) is much bigger than even that...

That buy was supposed to provide a constant demand for movies and products in nearly every corner of the consumer world for a minimum of 20 years...

We are 4 years and 2 weeks into the release slate. What if the demand for the OT product - which I have on very good authority outpaces the other periods substantially - finally starts to drop?

What if it isn’t a neat to buy in our 50s and 60s like it was in our 20s 30s and 40s?

Big gamble, no?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom