Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

flynnibus

Premium Member
Anybody seen the threats JJ and cast are getting from the Reylo's and Tico fans. Amazing. And we're the toxic ones. LMAO.

I don't care what side those people are arguing for... the common sense thing to do is to just bury those kinds of idiots. I don't care you have access to the Internet... if you act like a brainless twat I'll treat you like one. People really have no shame anymore... hopefully this culture of vile behavior will come back to haunt these clowns and people will get back to civility.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don't care what side those people are arguing for... the common sense thing to do is to just bury those kinds of idiots. I don't care you have access to the Internet... if you act like a brainless twat I'll treat you like one. People really have no shame anymore... hopefully this culture of vile behavior will come back to haunt these clowns and people will get back to civility.

I didn't condone what they did to KMT either. Didn't particularly like her character. But that wasn't on her.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Rey would be a good Jedi, but not so much that she's a Mary Sue. It's only okay for male action heroes like John Wick or Ethan Hunt to be perfect. Likewise for Luke. He wouldn't have gone into exile because he's an infallible hero (just don't call him a Mary Sue).

This analogy does not work. Rey was a nobody... who was just a scavenger remember? John Wick and Ethan Hunt are the opposite.. they are supposed to be the best (or best ever..) at their craft. Trained... experienced... the best of their breed.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For all these 'fan created' story alternative narratives people keep throwing out there... what's with the strawman?

The fanbase has never begged or needed to be the story creators... there was an entire universe of EU writers that were making up tales, characters, and stories, that were liked by this 'toxic fan base'. That proved time and time again that this 'its not what the fans wanted, so they revolted' narrative is pretty stupid.

As for all the ragers on twitter, etc.. I don't know why people give these unstable people online any time of day.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Can we all agree that unstable people should not be counted for in any camp... and should just be universally discounted to 0?
I didn't condone what they did to KMT either. Didn't particularly like her character. But that wasn't on her.
I think it’s just evidence that the “five angry fanboy” theory is as empty of an excuse for Disney’s missteps as it was for george’s 20 years ago...it was never true...

These new idiots are marginal just like the old ones were...which that excuse tried to use...

The reality is people are stopping buying tickets to Star Wars movies earlier and earlier...it’s a pattern, not an anomaly...

Fact.

Don’t seem to get tired of seeing Captain America though...do they?

Last edited:

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The reality is people are stopping buying tickets to Star Wars movies earlier and earlier

I'd argue that they've stopped buying them later and later as well. Which has always been a staple for Star Wars. Well at least for the last few ones. I saw RoS in the theater twice. TLJ once. TFA 5 times. The fact that TLJ and RoS combined didn't meet my own personal spend as compared to TFA (which wasn't a great film - but was enjoyable and did set things up) is how I judge it.

I've been on Trans-Atlantic flights where TLJ was available for free, and I opted to watch the OT and RotS before even getting close to TLJ.

socalifornian

I'd argue that they've stopped buying them later and later as well. Which has always been a staple for Star Wars. Well at least for the last few ones. I saw RoS in the theater twice. TLJ once. TFA 5 times. The fact that TLJ and RoS combined didn't meet my own personal spend as compared to TFA (which wasn't a great film - but was enjoyable and did set things up) is how I judge it.

I've been on Trans-Atlantic flights where TLJ was available for free, and I opted to watch the OT and RotS before even getting close to TLJ.
Yup right now ROS is tracking to make less than TLJ

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A bit off topic but do we think the 2022 will get pushed back?

Except for Solo, they still make money. So, what's a corporation to do?

Also, there are directors now that fans like, or at least don't hate. Don't forget that Feige has a SW movie under his aegis now, too.

A movie set 70 years from now can be about Teen Yoda.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
A bit off topic but do we think the 2022 will get pushed back?

I'd say: Don't care if it's 2022, 2023, 2024 or even 2021. When they can make a SW movie true to the SW genre and not worry about appeasing people. That's when you release it. It seems silly to me that there are these pre-conceived timelines. And I get it. You have to lock these kind of things in. So to answer your question it doesn't seem they would push it back.

I'd like them to take a more musical approach - and that's "I get you want it out at a certain time - but the album will be done when the album is done". When you have the clout of an Aerosmith, Stones, Leppard, GnR, AC/DC..you can dictate those things. Star Wars should be able to dictate.

Whether a "good to great" SW film is released December 20th or April 28th shouldn't matter. As long as it's a good/great SW film. It will make money and be well received.

Wendy Pleakley

Except for Solo, they still make money. So, what's a corporation to do?

Also, there are directors now that fans like, or at least don't hate. Don't forget that Feige has a SW movie under his aegis now, too.

A movie set 70 years from now can be about Teen Yoda.

People seem fixated on this notion that Star Wars movies need to match The Force Awakens or Endgame. Everything is a disappointment when the bar is set so high.

Guardians of the Galaxy made around a third of TFA, but no one is suggesting that series end.

Solo obviously bombed, but TLJ is the 9th highest grossing film of all time and RoS should rank pretty high as well when all is said and done. The Star Wars film franchise isn't going anywhere.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
The Star Wars film franchise isn't going anywhere.

I can agree with that. We just need a new Quarterback. And I don't care if that new quarterback is male, female, white, black, asian, LGBTQ, droid, AI, or some kid named Donnie who lives in his mom's basement............. just as long as they can score when they have the ball.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So Disney intentionally sabotaged a film in their own franchise in order to potentially sabotage the MCU's obviously weaker competitor? Come on. That blows the credibility of this post out of the water.

On top of that, the most accurate leaker (basically entirely accurate) for TROS said he's heard nothing to verify these claims. The movie obviously suffered from changes in the production and post production phases, but this big made up narrative just doesn't sound plausible.
I do think though that there were "warring factions" between the Abrams camp and the Lucasfilm story group (who were firmly in the Johnson/TLJ camp). I agree it would not make sense for Disney to do this, and I don't think they did. But for a group of Lucasfilm people (like Pablo Hidalgo) though...yeah completely plausible. Somebody leaked the script, and I just don't buy that Boyega forgot it under a hotel bed.

I don’t believe the sabotage theory either...

But i believe this:
1. Abrams is severely limited...putting his name to not one but TWO remakes and not getting salty till his exaggerated go has taken a hit.
Considering his mundane characters and stupid reliance on Gags and John Williams...I submit he was not really much of a Star Wars fan. I believe he was in it for the money.

2. Rian Johnson made a bad movie because he had NO clue of what Star Wars should be...no understanding of historh
Kennedy’s unnatural/unwarranted support for him begs serious questions.

3. Disney is STILL to blame for what was made - ultimately. I think they made the same mistake that George did...but magnified. They tried to lay the groundwork for sales - like this silly looking star cruiser hotel and “galaxies edge”...while ignoring that the characters, portrayals and unified story is what sold the stuff in the first place...

Backwards thinking for “guaranteed” profits...backfired as expected.

I do not think they torpedoed abrams...I think they can’t understand - because of Disney’s typical hubris - why the data is bad, the sales are falling and they couldn’t just push their product on a ravenous consuming public.

Why? That’s what they always do...they didn’t anticipate that Star Wars is a big deal due to its History and they would get no credit for showing up.

Actually...they did...they got $2 bil for a reboot that didn’t do much at all...

And then it ended.

Don’t see the correlation between abrams masterpiece and the phantom menace??

...Look closer then

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People seem fixated on this notion that Star Wars movies need to match The Force Awakens or Endgame. Everything is a disappointment when the bar is set so high.

Guardians of the Galaxy made around a third of TFA, but no one is suggesting that series end.

Solo obviously bombed, but TLJ is the 9th highest grossing film of all time and RoS should rank pretty high as well when all is said and done. The Star Wars film franchise isn't going anywhere.

And just when I was giving you loads of praise...you just went the wrong way down a one way street...

You’re putting Star Wars into a “bin” of modern franchises that it can’t fit into...

It’s the creator of all these things on so many levels. Honestly - no movie has ever come close to this much impact:

Empire is the greasiest middle chapter of any movie franchise ever...elevating both book ends.

Absolutely trailblazing. First time...but replicated since to great effect in several cases. The best franchises are ALWAYS where the middle chapters are the best.

I can think of three in the last 20 years off the top of my head...4 actually

Why does this matter?
Because the studio/conglomerate that wanted to try to take it HAD to realize the context. This is one case where the fans do and the billionaires don’t.

And that’s why Disney landed on boardwalk and is essentially back at “go”

And it should shock no one watching these last 30 years or so.

Edit: 9th biggest movie of all time is figured by the ADJUSTED gross...which equals tickets sold. Which is a measure of lasting influence potential...that is STAR WARS. Lasting influence.

9 is not gonna make this list...TLJ trails 5 other Star Wars by “a lot”...

Here it is:

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

The bar is set so high because it's Star Wars and past performance. It's the very definition of 'expectations' because it is the biggest franchise around.. nevermind it's supposed to be the saga's finale. Of course it's expected to be big... and if it's not, something is amiss..

When the player with the highest batting average walks up in the bottom of the nineth... yes, big things are expected of them. It's meaningless to compare the performance to some random one.

Disney spent on the film based on expectations... the market has pressure on their performance based on expectations... This is real world stuff to them, not just fan angst.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom