Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

tirian

USA Today published a synopsis of critical reactions. It’s funny how Vanity Fair and Fandango are the only critics who liked it — a fancy, upscale lifestyle mag and a ticket website.

Anders Limpar

Really sad. I had such optimism back in 2012 when the purchase was announced and they soiled the bed three times (although RO is fantastic and I love Mando, Solo is fun). Jelly of the month club enrollment instead of an actual Xmas bonus that you were counting on so you could put in a pool.

Maybe on film it will be better than the leaks sound on paper. But not likely.

Joesixtoe

Guys, look. I like and respect you both, and I don't doubt you're as big Star Wars fans as I am. I agree with some of the criticisms you have of the ST, even though I've generally enjoyed it (up until this point).

I just can't get on board with the "Rey is a Mary Sue", narrative and I'm disappointed to hear you parroting those talking points. Her arc in the ST mirrors that of Luke's in the OT, yet everyone totally accepts (nay, celebrates) how OP Luke was with his own minimal, incomplete training.

The simple truth is every story, especially archetypal stories like SW, feature protagonists that are better than everyone else and have plot armor to make sure they ultimately triumph at the end. Rey is no different, except that she's a woman...

All of that being said, several people who were at the premier last night have wholly confirmed the leaks I read months ago, and let me tell you, TLJ has nothing on the hate TRoS is going to get.

And I'll be honest, I'm terribly sad. This is going to be a wholly unsatisfying end to not just the larger saga as a whole, but to the ST itself. It's clear to me they really had no overarching plan for how all this was going to play out. After this mess, I'm done with JJ's mystery box.
I like Daisy Ridley.. I like Rey a lot as a person and character and am glad she is the main character in the sequel trilogy. She most definitely is a Mary Sue much more than anyone else was in the other movies. They didn't need to do that. Please stop with the she's a woman bit so that's why people don't like her.. it's not the truth. Its poor execution on character development that's all. A lot of movies do it now a days so it should be expected.

tirian

Really sad. I had such optimism back in 2012 when the purchase was announced and they soiled the bed three times (although RO is fantastic and I love Mando, Solo is fun). Jelly of the month club enrollment instead of an actual Xmas bonus that you were counting on so you could put in a pool.

Maybe on film it will be better than the leaks sound on paper. But not likely.
I like Daisy Ridley.. I like Rey a lot as a person and character and am glad she is the main character in the sequel trilogy. She most definitely is a Mary Sue much more than anyone else was in the other movies. They didn't need to do that. Please stop with the she's a woman bit so that's why people don't like her.. it's not the truth. Its poor execution on character development that's all. A lot of movies do it now a days so it should be expected.

I agree, and the early reactions seem to confirm that, although we won’t know until the reviews are published.

Plus, I think Daisy is a great actress and hope she gets cast in better movies.

LSLS

I'm tempered. I'm expecting to enjoy it. I'm not emotionally involved like I have been with Marvel (again, I never saw a Marvel movie until the Infinity War trailer got me interested in watching some of them), or I was even after TFA. I like Rey, I like Kylo, I liked TFA. TLJ was eh (some parts were good, lots of parts were so long and boring). My problem with this is what I stated above, I don't think there is an emotional investment. Even people who have enjoyed the ST, I don't think they can make the case they have a large emotional investment in the outcome or the characters. You add in the people that were probably most likely to be invested are the ones you alienated with TLJ (not debating if they are majority/minority here), and you are where we are now. Star Wars should be printing money, but you are already seeing excuses for why the movie might actually fall below TLJ and possibly not even make the top 3 box office hits of the year.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Others have really liked it and he really really liked Last Jedi.
If Mendelson doesn’t like it, I imagine J.J. trying his best to do a course correction of Last Jedi with a ton of fan service.

I will find out Thursday. Hope it’s a fun and satisfying conclusion

My problem has been...since prequels and to this day...is that we have to continue to lower our standards and look for “silver linings” to enjoy what should be a fairly simple thing to do for Hollywood. Write good characters in a plausible story within a predefined IP.

Don’t look now...but that’s what you’re doing.
And it’s not fair to you.

CinematicFusion

My problem has been...since prequels and to this day...is that we have to continue to lower our standards and look for “silver linings” to enjoy what should be a fairly simple thing to do for Hollywood. Write good characters in a plausible story within a predefined IP.

Don’t look now...but that’s what you’re doing.
And it’s not fair to you.

Agree.
I was hoping they would have used the 50 page Lucas treatment and then hired talented directors to complete his vision.
I've always felt Lucas could tell a great story, he just lost it as a elite director. When you see his work in THX-1138, American Graffitti, Star Wars....he had some solid directors chops.
Lucas still has a story touch...Prequels had a great story.

Will be interesting if we ever see the Lucas story treatment in a comic book or animated series.

Mike S

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agree.
I was hoping they would have used the 50 page Lucas treatment and then hired talented directors to complete his vision.
I've always felt Lucas could tell a great story, he just lost it as a elite director. When you see his work in THX-1138, American Graffitti, Star Wars....he had some solid directors chops.
Lucas still has a story touch...Prequels had a great story.

Will be interesting if we ever see the Lucas story treatment in a comic book or animated series.
Lucas was too concerned with the money...that’s why the prequels were wrecked as much as his bad directing. Sometimes the computer doesn’t work. No depth when it’s needed.

He reached his director ceiling long ago. And it’s shocking how little credit is given to Gary kurtz and kershner for really making the Star Wars “feel”...George is as much of a figurehead as any.

But I agree he can do a story...no doubt. But wasn’t the person to put it on the screen.

I’ll give him a pass on Indy 4 😉

CinematicFusion

I saw this one as well as particularly worrisome...

Seems fair but disappointing.

I really wanted to reverse my decision not to go see it this week. The kid in me REALLY did.

But I made the right choice...and I hate being right here.

A bad trilogy..:dear god, it happened again.

I'm going...bought 20 tickets with my friends. We have done it since 1977 when we were in kindergarten and our parents took us. So I had to complete the journey.
We have enjoyed Recently Force Awakens, Rouge One, Solo as a group. Last Jedi was a nightmare, no one in the group liked it.
But...I'm excited to go with my buddies and our children. Eat pizza before the show and hang out after to talked about it.
Always a good time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom