Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I enjoyed it when I saw it because I thought the possibilities were intriguing from that jumping off point. Then TLJ happened and retroactively ruined it.
The fact Kennedy botched 8 so hard made the choice to do a pretty mundane reboot amplified in my opinion. Ford doing a mercenary death scene coupled with fisher looking awful then ODing didn’t help much either.

To say nothing of Hamill...who they treated his character like he was some guy off the street named “Stanley”....

Hell, even managed to draw yoda into it...and instead of going “wise yoda” from the OT...and fix “ninja yoda” from the PT...they went door number 3 and did “clown yoda”

Apparently not realizing that the 2 minutes they did in empire was part of the story setup...not comic relief??

Stripes

Didn’t you kind of invalidate your “hope” with that post of the 12/17 tweet?

That take has been overwhelming proven to be incorrect based on two years of fallout/evidence presented by the fandom and the general public.
You misunderstand. The fact that the author thought TLJ was good and isn‘t so happy with TROS is a good sign imo. Albeit a small one.

jt04

Mendelson didn't like so I'm encouraged it is actually good. Initial buzz overall is much better than for the previous Episode.

MerlinTheGoat

So...sounds like all the leaks were true...

Great. Moving on...what should I have for breakfast?

The plot leaks were confirmed back when first real trailer released in August. Each subsequent trailer, clip, commercial etc has only further confirmed their authenticity.

So far "impressions" seem to be a mixture of mostly good to amazing, with a few outliers saying it's mixed. Not many overtly negative tweets yet, which should come as no surprise. Last Jedi also received overwhelmingly positive impressions from social media. But once the general public started seeing it, its reception plummeted. Don't trust early previews from social media personalities. This is par for the course these days. The Aladdin, Dumbo and Lion King live action remakes also got positive praise in pre-release impressions on social media. Same situation with the Ghostbusters reboot. The most charitable and naive explanation would be that there's a huge disconnect between these social media people and the general public over what they think makes a good movie. The less charitable but much more likely explanation is that there's some paid propaganda going on here.

There are a small handful of details in the leaks I do think were good ideas, but a lot of the movie sounds like a big mess. The only bit of hope is that there are parts of the leaks that (while stupid and bad) sound like they at least have the potential to be more "entertaining" to watch than Last Jedi (Last Jedi on top of being a bad movie was also an utter bore, if I sit through a bad and stupid movie, it should at least be entertainingly bad and stupid). But I think that when the dust settles, Rise of Skywalker will settle into the mixed but mostly "meh" category. Has the potential to be better than Last Jedi at least, but from my perspective that definitely isn't really saying much.

jt04

The plot leaks were confirmed back when first real trailer released in August. Each subsequent trailer, clip, commercial etc has only further confirmed their authenticity.

So far "impressions" seem to be a mixture of mostly good to amazing, with a few outliers saying it's mixed. Not many overtly negative tweets yet, which should come as no surprise. Last Jedi also received overwhelmingly positive impressions from social media. But once the general public started seeing it, its reception plummeted. Don't trust early previews from social media personalities. This is par for the course these days. The Aladdin, Dumbo and Lion King live action remakes also got positive praise in pre-release impressions on social media. Same situation with the Ghostbusters reboot. The most charitable and naive explanation would be that there's a huge disconnect between these social media people and the general public over what they think makes a good movie. The less charitable but much more likely explanation is that there's some paid propaganda going on here.

There are a small handful of details in the leaks I do think were good ideas, but a lot of the movie sounds like a big mess. The only bit of hope is that there are parts of the leaks that (while stupid and bad) sound like they at least have the potential to be more "entertaining" to watch than Last Jedi (Last Jedi on top of being a bad movie was also an utter bore, if I sit through a bad and stupid movie, it should at least be entertainingly bad and stupid). But I think that when the dust settles, Rise of Skywalker will settle into the mixed but mostly "meh" category. Has the potential to be better than Last Jedi at least, but from my perspective that definitely isn't really saying much.

The word 'shill' keeps popping up as a meme aimed at anyone who liked it so a paid campaign definitely seems to be at work. Not surprising. The franchise is too big for that to work if it is good though.

Seems people think GL could come back if this fails but I doubt it. And this idea ignores the success of mandolorian.

MerlinTheGoat

The word 'shill' keeps popping up as a meme aimed at anyone who liked it so a paid campaign definitely seems to be at work. Not surprising. The franchise is too big for that to work if it is good though.

Seems people think GL could come back if this fails but I doubt it. And this idea ignores the success of mandolorian.
When movies release early to a select few social media personalities and get unanimous positive praise, later to be largely reviled by the general public upon its official release, it's reasonable to be suspicious.

I don't believe average joes who do legitimately enjoy these movies are shills, even if I don't agree with them. But there's a good reason to not takes these early twitter impressions as gospel. And in this case, the entire plot of the movie was leaked months ago, those of us who have been exposed sort of know what to expect. This in no way sounds like a movie that deserves the praise it's getting on twitter.

I should clarify that i'm also not a George Lucas sycophant, I have major gripes with the man. He had talent as an ideas guy, but he needed a ton of other talented people to bring structure or quality to his work. On one hand, it's kind of sad that Disney seemed to blow off his ideas for the sequel trilogy. But on the other hand, he sold the franchise to them. His hand wasn't twisted. He was already obscenely wealthy, it was well within his power to not sell out and just produce his own sequels however he liked.

tribbleorlfl

Then why didn’t Luke “tap into the force” and easily beat Vader in ESB like Rey did to Kylo? Why didn’t Yoda do it to Palpatine? Why didn’t Qui-Gon do it to Maul? Obi-Wan to Vader in ANH? Etc, etc, etc...

Again, what makes her so special aside from the obvious?
Like it or not, trib...that is a complete canon rewrite.

The original concept was the force can only be used by the “gifted”

Obviously the latent ability would exist in the son of the most powerful force character ever...and Obiwan knows that as one of 3 “all knowing” individuals at that time (2 good...1 bad)

What they have done in 7 and 8 doesn’t jive with that at all...and it wasn’t broke.

As silly as midichlorians was...that still can be reconciled.

Finn battling, Rey knowing what to do out of nowhere, Kyle being easily beaten with no explanation....to say nothing of
Luke...doesn’t make any damn sense.

To say nothing of slave boys playing like a kid in the backyard circa 1980....
Guys, look. I like and respect you both, and I don't doubt you're as big Star Wars fans as I am. I agree with some of the criticisms you have of the ST, even though I've generally enjoyed it (up until this point).

I just can't get on board with the "Rey is a Mary Sue", narrative and I'm disappointed to hear you parroting those talking points. Her arc in the ST mirrors that of Luke's in the OT, yet everyone totally accepts (nay, celebrates) how OP Luke was with his own minimal, incomplete training.

The simple truth is every story, especially archetypal stories like SW, feature protagonists that are better than everyone else and have plot armor to make sure they ultimately triumph at the end. Rey is no different, except that she's a woman...

All of that being said, several people who were at the premier last night have wholly confirmed the leaks I read months ago, and let me tell you, TLJ has nothing on the hate TRoS is going to get.

And I'll be honest, I'm terribly sad. This is going to be a wholly unsatisfying end to not just the larger saga as a whole, but to the ST itself. It's clear to me they really had no overarching plan for how all this was going to play out. After this mess, I'm done with JJ's mystery box.

tribbleorlfl

When movies release early to a select few social media personalities and get unanimous positive praise, later to be largely reviled by the general public upon its official release, it's reasonable to be suspicious.

I don't believe average joes who do legitimately enjoy these movies are shills, even if I don't agree with them. But there's a good reason to not takes these early twitter impressions as gospel. And in this case, the entire plot of the movie was leaked months ago, those of us who have been exposed sort of know what to expect. This in no way sounds like a movie that deserves the praise it's getting on twitter.

I should clarify that i'm also not a George Lucas sycophant, I have major gripes with the man. He had talent as an ideas guy, but he needed a ton of other talented people to bring structure or quality to his work. On one hand, it's kind of sad that Disney seemed to blow off his ideas for the sequel trilogy. But on the other hand, he sold the franchise to them. His hand wasn't twisted. He was already obscenely wealthy, it was well within his power to not sell out and just produce his own sequels however he liked.
I have been of those who's enjoyed the ST but am not at all on board how they've decided to wrap up the trilogy and saga. A lot of the people I interact with in my SW groups are the same.

I'm praying this is a situation like Endgame, where the leaks sounded terrible on paper and out-of-character, yet worked beautifully when you actually saw the film. I'm not holding out hope, though.

CinematicFusion

No spoilers, just 4 reactions to latest Star Wars. 2 good, 2 bad. Interesting Scott Mendelson from Forbes who loved Last Jedi does not like the latest...

1.Rob Keyes

Just stepped out of #TheRiseofSkywalker . It’s an immensely satisfying and MASSIVE end to the saga. It somehow addresses issues, problematic characters, and most unanswered questions from The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi too.

2.Mark Ellis

I’m emotional, overwhelmed, surprised, shocked & stunned. More than anything, I’m happy. Thanks for coming through one more time, Star Wars.

#TheRiseOfSkywalker

3.John Campea’s first reaction after seeing TROS..

Yikes.

4.Scott Mendelson of Forbes:

At worst, I expected #TheRiseOfSkywalker to be a well made movie that I didn't like or whose story choices I disagreed with. I was not expecting a genuinely bad movie with video game plotting, thin characters, weak action and endless exposition of no consequence. Heartbreaking...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
@MerlinTheGoat is nailing it here...all of it. I agree with all your takes.

I did a little research on some of the “overwhelming positive” tweets last night...and not surprisingly - these are the same sycophants that talked about being “in tears” and “amazed” for both 7 (reboot...we still don’t know why) and 8 (KK’s manboy angerfest)...

Ehhh...not too surprising

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

@MerlinTheGoat is nailing it here...all of it. I agree with all your takes.

I did a little research on some of the “overwhelming positive” tweets last night...and not surprisingly - these are the same sycophants that talked about being “in tears” and “amazed” for both 7 (reboot...we still don’t know why) and I (KK’s manboy angerfest)...

Ehhh...not too surprising
Scott Mendelson of Forbes: (this guy loved Last Jedi)

At worst, I expected #TheRiseOfSkywalker to be a well made movie that I didn't like or whose story choices I disagreed with. I was not expecting a genuinely bad movie with video game plotting, thin characters, weak action and endless exposition of no consequence. Heartbreaking...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Scott Mendelson of Forbes: (this guy loved Last Jedi)

To any of us who grew up with Star Wars...as in left the theater just “happy”...without soul searching and doubt...and then just were affected with it’s lasting power...

How did Hollywood miss? So badly...twice?

I guess you can’t return to neverland. What coulda been, huh?

CinematicFusion

To any of us who grew up with Star Wars...as in left the theater just “happy”...without soul searching and doubt...and then just were effected with it lasting power...

How did Hollywood miss? So badly...twice?

I guess you can’t return to neverland. What coulda been, huh?
Others have really liked it and he really really liked Last Jedi.
If Mendelson doesn’t like it, I imagine J.J. trying his best to do a course correction of Last Jedi with a ton of fan service.

I will find out Thursday. Hope it’s a fun and satisfying conclusion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom