Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Magenta Panther

I have a bad feeling about ROS. Going to see it Thursday but it’s the first Star Wars movie I’m very “iffy” about.

Yes... I could not stand Last Jedi and could only stomach to watch it once.

How J.J. fixes this train wreck by adding Palpatine while not destroying the ending of Return of The Jedi will be interesting

The ending of Return of the Jedi has already been destroyed. It was a happy ending, with the enemy defeated, Vader recanting the Dark Side, Han rescued, he and Leia reunited, etc. But Disney demolished all that with Han and Leia breaking up, Han getting murdered by his own son, and Luke turning into a bitter teat-sucking vagrant. Good times. :rolleyes:

Mike S

The ending of Return of the Jedi has already been destroyed. It was a happy ending, with the enemy defeated, Vader recanting the Dark Side, Han rescued, he and Leia reunited, etc. But Disney demolished all that with Han and Leia breaking up, Han getting murdered by his own son, and Luke turning into a bitter teat-sucking vagrant. Good times. :rolleyes:
Han dying I can understand as Harrison Ford made it very clear that was the only way he’d come back. Ben being the one to kill him is also fine imo. Luke should’ve been there though and Rey (not Finn) should’ve been the one to lose first and then Luke saving her. Then he’d take her to Ach-To for training in seclusion as he did go to find it like in the current story but was with Han when he went searching. That’s how he’s introduced in TFA now too.

seascape

Where have you seen tickets sales are really picking up? I haven't seen any info on that.

I still say, under TLJ, I think you can officially say TLJ did real damage. Anything over, I think the damage was overplayed. Unless this thing becomes a complete shocker and blows up, I would still say the final movie in the saga ending up under $2 billion is a bit of a failure.

As for ticket sales, I got End Game tickets the day they went on sale and nearly the entire preview day was sold out within a few hours at all theaters around me (and a lot of the weekend). ROS has between 12-17 tickets still available for each of the first 6 showings on Thursday.
Disney cannibalize their ticket sales. There is only so much consumers have to spend on Disney stuff and movies. Disney will finish the year not too far from 4 billion in North America and not too far from 12 billion worldwide. With numbers like that no one could be upset with individual movie results. Remember that most D23 members had to pay the full 3 year subscription to Disney Plus to get the under $4.00 a month price. That money had to come from somewhere and most likely it was from movie ticket sales.

Mike S

Disney cannibalize their ticket sales. There is only so much consumers have to spend on Disney stuff and movies. Disney will finish the year not too far from 4 billion in North America and not too far from 12 billion worldwide. With numbers like that no one could be upset with individual movie results. Remember that most D23 members had to pay the full 3 year subscription to Disney Plus to get the under $4.00 a month price. That money had to come from somewhere and most likely it was from movie ticket sales.
Except, it does matter. Disney had a pretty good year last year too but when Solo flopped they put the brakes on all future Star Wars anthology movies. To big corporations “enough money” is a foreign concept. If they had high expectations for this trilogy and it didn’t meet those they’ll definitely care. If RoS isn’t a smash I wouldn’t be surprised if some very nervous people were called into Iger’s office behind closed doors.

Jedijax719

Latest data (like within the past hour) suggests that TROS's previews are getting VERY close to TLJ's previews and could even be a little higher (at the same point in time before previews).

Not sure where Friday-proper, Saturday, or Sunday stand, but things could be quite a bit closer than many think.

LSLS

You are not doing a good job of defending the potential ticket sales when saying that people couldn't budget around other movies for the final Star Wars saga film. Would Disney be upset with how their movie division did? Of course not? But you are kidding yourself if you think they would not care if their final film in the saga couldn't crack the top 5 movies of the year (again, I think it will, but the fact I'm not positive is crazy to me).

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Ok. So here's my dark horse SW theory. That is so "out of left field" that my wife suggested I see a professional. But in theory it could work because it's all in canon So here goes:

Star Wars is all about Yoda. Yoda used the force to impregnate Shmi. This is why the reference by Obi Wan and Qui-Gon is made about Anakin having a midi-chlorian count not seen since Yoda. Yoda is a Skywalker (We never knew his last name). He's Vader's dad and Luke's grandad. Hey, Why not?

Baby Yoda (who has not been named in Mando) is maybe Yoda's son. Baby Yoda would be around 100 by the timeline set in RoS - and also remember in Yoda's hut in ESB he mentioned he'd been training Jedi's since he was a 100.

So Baby Yoda at around 100 would be a pretty bad little dude. Mom? Easy. Maz. That's how she came into possession of the light saber in TFA. Baby Yoda is the secret Skywalker. The one that rises. Palpatine kills Kylo and Rey (audience cheers), - Baby Yoda enters - does all the crazy Yoda light saber moves and eats up and spits out Palpatine and credits roll.

Gotta go know. My shrink is on the line. I know. Not a chance in hell. But it's fun to speculate.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Some interesting stuff hitting the great, murky internet:

And then the coup de gras:

And of course: JJ hedging for the 357th time this year:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It looks as if JJ Abrams has been caught in a little white lie.

In this article from Collider, Abrams claims Palpatine's return was planned since The Force Awakens. (2015)

However, in this video interview from actor Ian McDiarmid, it is reported JJ only contacted him last year, and "was thinking about" bringing the Emperor back.

This is gonna get interesting...
Oh, and JJ, your nose is growing.

Proof of retconning...and acknowledgement of what a disaster the management/direction of the sequel trilogy has been.

Might as well say it: rumor is that one main character has 2 minutes of time...while the other (hint DEAD) one has 11...and they completely rewrite the backstory - more or less - with this screen time.

Sorry, kids, the original movies actually had it all wrong!!!

And then there’s “door number 3”....

I hope...please dear Jesus...that this all is 100% false

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok. So here's my dark horse SW theory. That is so "out of left field" that my wife suggested I see a professional. But in theory it could work because it's all in canon So here goes:

Star Wars is all about Yoda. Yoda used the force to impregnate Shmi. This is why the reference by Obi Wan and Qui-Gon is made about Anakin having a midi-chlorian count not seen since Yoda. Yoda is a Skywalker (We never knew his last name). He's Vader's dad and Luke's grandad. Hey, Why not?

Baby Yoda (who has not been named in Mando) is maybe Yoda's son. Baby Yoda would be around 100 by the timeline set in RoS - and also remember in Yoda's hut in ESB he mentioned he'd been training Jedi's since he was a 100.

So Baby Yoda at around 100 would be a pretty bad little dude. Mom? Easy. Maz. That's how she came into possession of the light saber in TFA. Baby Yoda is the secret Skywalker. The one that rises. Palpatine kills Kylo and Rey (audience cheers), - Baby Yoda enters - does all the crazy Yoda light saber moves and eats up and spits out Palpatine and credits roll.

Gotta go know. My shrink is on the line. I know. Not a chance in hell. But it's fun to speculate.
“Trust your wife’s instincts”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

No other movies should eat into Star Wars if Star Wars is good...

They could have released endgame the day before and it wouldn’t have mattered if they haven’t completely boned the movies since 1999

What you’re saying is complete 🐎💩 here...

Please...just stop defending the rat in failure...let’s move on and live to love another day?

I’m trying to mentally block out that you’re saying people paying $4.00 in 2019 impacts their ability to buy a movie ticket in December...

Just...please...stop

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are not doing a good job of defending the potential ticket sales when saying that people couldn't budget around other movies for the final Star Wars saga film. Would Disney be upset with how their movie division did? Of course not? But you are kidding yourself if you think they would not care if their final film in the saga couldn't crack the top 5 movies of the year (again, I think it will, but the fact I'm not positive is crazy to me).
👏👏👏👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻🤙

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Latest data (like within the past hour) suggests that TROS's previews are getting VERY close to TLJ's previews and could even be a little higher (at the same point in time before previews).

Not sure where Friday-proper, Saturday, or Sunday stand, but things could be quite a bit closer than many think.
Disney would consider the same box office as the last Johnson to be an epic fail...

What does that set up for it’s $4,000,000,000 purchase franchise going forward?

Nothing. They already can’t sell stuff...merch and theme park tickets...notably.

So they would have burned out the franchise in 7 years and now have to completely reset it

That’s DC...that’s warner brothers...welcome to real life

Last edited:

Mike S

Some interesting stuff hitting the great, murky internet:

And then the coup de gras:

And of course: JJ hedging for the 357th time this year:

Um, yes. The Jedi are the good guys. The reason the Jedi of the prequels were such failures was because they weren’t following what Jedi are actually supposed to do. They’re not supposed to get involved in anything unless the Force wills it which is the only thing they’re supposed to listen to and follow, the will of the Force. I once saw an interesting video that had a good explanation for how Qui-Gon was the only true Jedi in the prequels. They fell because they strayed from the true ways of the Jedi. Luke learned this for himself in RotJ even when both Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted him to kill Darth Vader but he had a different idea and he didn’t listen to them.

What a bunch of BS.

Edit: here’s the video.

jt04

Watched the premier webcast. JJ seemed nervous. But Kennedy and Iger were anything but. I think it will do well and hopefully they learned lessons from Ep 8 and, going forward, Mandolorian.

Chapter 7 Wednesday. Episode 9 Friday. 👍

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Watched the premier webcast. JJ seemed nervous. But Kennedy and Iger were anything but. I think it will do well and hopefully they learned lessons from Ep 8 and, going forward, Mandolorian.

Chapter 7 Wednesday. Episode 9 Friday. 👍
Iger cares about money...and he’s retiring so that really only means stock price...

Kennedy is about to “pursue other projects”

Abrams has the most to gain/lose...he’s not on the backstretch like the other two

What’s “chapter 7 Wednesday” mean?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom