Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

MerlinTheGoat

I've actually been extremely disappointed in the music of the sequel trilogy. The returning stuff from the originals is nice, but most of the original tunes are bland. The only pieces i've liked are the Jedi Steps and Rey's theme from TFA.

And as it turns out, they were actually being kind of clever with Rey's theme, regarding a leaked revelation about her identity. I legitimately thought it was a well done bit of foreshadowing. If you listen to Rey's theme alongside the theme of the "other person", you'll probably hear it too.

But nothing can beat the scores from Episodes 4, 5 and 6 or even the prequels. Even if you hate the movies themselves, the music is awesome (i'll stand by my opinion that the prequels weren't "good" or competently made in the traditional sense, but they are VERY entertaining and the basic concept behind them was solid). Duel of Fates is amazing, same for Anakin vs Obi Wan. And taken out of the corny context of the love story, Across the Stars is gorgeous. Most of the more incidental background themes are great too. The Kamino Suite for example. Honestly, all of the original musical compositions in the prequels are fantastic.

I haven’t ruled out Darth Vaderkin showing up...I think that’s likely

And do you mean Snoke?
I haven't spotted Anakin/Vader in the leaks, I think he would have been brought up if he was making an appearance. Would be a pretty big deal. Unless they did some last minute reshoots or something. Like I said, i'd like to see him appear in some form if done correctly. They had conceptual ideas of him returning in Force Awakens, one as some sort of split dark/light side personality that Kylo Ren would apparently interact with. The idea actually sounded pretty interesting.

anakin-force-awakens-pic-2.jpg

anakin-force-awakens-pic-1.jpg

And yeah I meant Snoke. Haven't seen any sign of him in the leaks. I don't even know if the complete lack of information can be considered much of a spoiler in this case. We may never know who he was, where he came from, why he's so powerful, how he even came to power, why he knows so much about the Sith/Jedi/force/etc, how he infiltrated Ben's mind, what the deal is with his black ring, why he was able to be taken out like such a wuss, etc etc. They built this guy up as the new Palpatine but then deflated it all like a whoopie cushion, not even an attempt at a satisfying or acceptable conclusion to the mysteries behind him.

Now he's being replaced with a rehashed villain from the previous 6 films. An admittedly much more entertaining character/actor I will concede, I hope JJ at LEAST gives Ian some opportunity to ham it the hell up to make things at bit more fun (won't get my hopes up there). I'll freely admit that Snoke felt very bland and cookie cutter to me in the first place. But then Rian had to go leave a big ugly gaping hole behind him. Even the "Snoke is Darth Plagueis" theory (while perhaps predictable) would have been a huge step up from this mess.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agree about the music, Merlin...

It’s partly seemed kinda “rushed” and doesn’t have themes that have pull or a link to memorable sequences in the movies. Probably because there hasn’t really been any.

“You’re just negative!”
...yeah...unfortunately I can give many examples that makes the case. And yes, that’s annoying...but it’s also what they’ve given me to work with.

The “escape from cloud city” sequence from empire is what I consider to be the gold standard. But there are about a dozen from empire and Jedi that really deliver the effect of an amazing score.

Not hearing it in Williams later years too much. And it’s a shame.

EDIT: and I agree about the prequels. The music was not the problem...just the ridiculousness of how rough they were put together. Like a runaway train carrying an eccentric kook.

LSLS

I've actually been extremely disappointed in the music of the sequel trilogy. The returning stuff from the originals is nice, but most of the original tunes are bland. The only pieces i've liked are the Jedi Steps and Rey's theme from TFA.

But nothing can beat the scores from Episodes 4, 5 and 6 or even the prequels. Even if you hate the movies themselves, the music is awesome (i'll stand by my opinion that the prequels weren't "good" or competently made in the traditional sense, but they are VERY entertaining and the basic concept behind them was solid). Duel of Fates is amazing, same for Anakin vs Obi Wan. And taken out of the corny context of the love story, Across the Stars is gorgeous. Most of the more incidental background themes are great too. The Kamino Suite for example. Honestly, all of the original musical compositions in the prequels are fantastic.

I don't think I've been disappointed. I still really like the scores, but I would agree the previous are better. And I may commit blasphemy, but when listening to scores, I would go for the prequels over the original. Obviously the original is as classic as they come (and amazing), but I LOVE the prequel soundtrack (and that is as far as I go with those).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't think I've been disappointed. I still really like the scores, but I would agree the previous are better. And I may commit blasphemy, but when listening to scores, I would go for the prequels over the original. Obviously the original is as classic as they come (and amazing), but I LOVE the prequel soundtrack (and that is as far as I go with those).
In movies...a great score enhances the scenes and great scenes enhance the score.

That is mostly in the OT

BUT there are exceptions...I think 66 is done wonderfully...even with the nonsense cgi

A new hope as well...which proves George still got it way better than Disney.
Sadly...I think I’m foreshadowing with that last one ☹️

mikejs78

Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Highest presale figures at Fandango as well..

But, Disney ruined Star Wars and no one cares about it anymore.
You are NOT following along here.

Pre-Sales are the diehards....legacies are built in the longevity of runs and rewatch/introduction to new audiences.

You know what taught us that: Star Wars.
It will have a $500 million dollar opening week. But if it flatlines by week 3...the last Johnson...these same issues will be discussed forever.

Generally...I like you...but this lurking in defense of Disney with the pop in quip is beneath you.

I would love some honest engagement on the facts and trends we have watched and why YOU think Star Wars is on good ground. Numbers and events help with that too.

Change my mind! But do it legit. The patronizing is a tired Disney board tactic that never worked.

Hell...I just reread it and it posts the atom ticket chart again.

How long has atom tickets been around? Talk about misleading...all of their “top” sellers have been in the last 22 months. Which I bet is a trend with all presells?
Wanna bet?

So, yeah, GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Mike S

Highest presale figures at Fandango as well..

But, Disney ruined Star Wars and no one cares about it anymore.
Didn’t beat Endgame. Looks like that’s still only Atom. Also it didn’t crash Fandango.

If Disney did this right though this movie could’ve easily had Endgame’s hype. It’s freaking Star Wars.

Good numbers though. Expected for the final movie.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Didn’t beat Endgame. Looks like that’s still only Atom. Also it didn’t crash Fandango.

If Disney did this right though this movie could’ve easily had Endgame’s hype. It’s freaking Star Wars.

Good numbers though. Expected for the final movie.
I actually don't think it is self evident that it wod beat endgame. As big as Star Wars is/was, there's a segment of the population it just doesn't appeal to. Wheras with Marvel, I think the way the MCU has played out, it has more universal appeal. So Marvel, in my view, is a bigger franchise at this point than SW. And that's OK.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually don't think it is self evident that it wod beat endgame. As big as Star Wars is/was, there's a segment of the population it just doesn't appeal to. Wheras with Marvel, I think the way the MCU has played out, it has more universal appeal. So Marvel, in my view, is a bigger franchise at this point than SW. And that's OK.
The legacy of Star Wars SHOULD have meant it beats end game and all other movies...and I fully believe you know what he meant.

Let’s bring in an arbiter...
@Master Yoda what say you?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The legacy of Star Wars SHOULD have meant it beats end game and all other movies...and I fully believe you know what he meant.

Let’s bring in an arbiter...
@Master Yoda what say you?
This will not be the answer you want but here goes...

I don't care. Not even a little. I am honestly concerned more about whether we are eating too much garlic as a nation than I am about Star Wars "beating" Marvel, Potter or any other franchise.

Mike S

Yeah I think it’s basically just the US and Europe that makes Star Wars as big as it is. Still even there I think there could’ve been so much more excitement going into this movie. It feels like it hasn’t even reached TFA levels.

LSLS

Seriously, what is Atom? Is this as big as Fandango, cause I've never heard of it.

Also worth noting that 3rd is Aquaman, and there is absolutely no way this should be at or around that box office, so depending on how large the difference is, not sure I'm putting much into it yet. I'll be much more interested in how opening weekend goes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seriously, what is Atom? Is this as big as Fandango, cause I've never heard of it.

Also worth noting that 3rd is Aquaman, and there is absolutely no way this should be at or around that box office, so depending on how large the difference is, not sure I'm putting much into it yet. I'll be much more interested in how opening weekend goes.
See...even when I try not to throw darts...somebody else picks me up.

I was gonna point out the absurdity of a victory lap when your neck and neck with Aquaman...

The “dr zhivago” of the 21st century 😳

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom