Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So the heroes prevailed in that one? I'll have to give it a re-watch.
Or wait...
Your heroes are the Empire. This thread makes so much sense now.

You doing the “blind to the context” thing, huh?

The 3 story arc worked...the character arcs worked...

So far ET’s secretary is 0-2. Thanks for playing though

Mike S

One may devolve in the course of their lifetime. Those who reach great heights can't often sustain them. It's still a progression.
Those who try and clign to their glory days, like those who try to be the same person they were in High School are either stunted or regressive.
We never saw them at their peak though and that’s what people wanted. We wanted to see Jedi Master Luke and an evolved Han with a family and a more noble profession possibly now working alongside Leia. We never see them at their peak and that’s what makes people frustrated. It happened offscreen and we just get the downturn further than when we left them.

Maybe if VII gave us what we wanted we would’ve accepted a downturn in VIII

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We never saw them at their peak though and that’s what people wanted. We wanted to see Jedi Master Luke and an evolved Han with a family and a more noble profession possibly now working alongside Leia. We never see them at their peak and that’s what makes people frustrated. It happened offscreen and we just get the downturn further than when we left them.
To be fair...that’s not really Disney’s fault.

That was Lucas. You could have done prequels at any time. He didn’t want to do sequels. A lot of that was paying the actors - I suspect.

I’ll use visual aids.

Carrie Fisher 1997...and 2015.

Which one fit her in Star Wars? I probably should apologize for pointing this out...but it’s hard to when it is what it is.

Attachments

• E2265DEA-DE20-42AA-93E6-ACE2D30D6A78.jpeg
    E2265DEA-DE20-42AA-93E6-ACE2D30D6A78.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 7C5D21AA-9B51-4BF3-8FC8-F8CBDBC8ED9E.jpeg
    7C5D21AA-9B51-4BF3-8FC8-F8CBDBC8ED9E.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Mike S

To be fair...that’s not really Disney fault.

That was Lucas. You could have done prequels at any time. He didn’t want to do sequels. A lot of that was paying the actors - I suspect.

I’ll use visual aids.

Which one fit her in Star Wars? I probably should apologize for pointing this out...but it’s hard to when it is what it is.
I would take them at any age if the movies were good and they played their parts excellently.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would take them at any age if the movies were good and they played their parts excellently.

As opposed to “let’s get this out of the way...except for the dead one?”

Cause the line for fans looking for daisy Ridley and John Boyega autographs stretches all the way to the bathroom and comic con 😳

sedati

You can't have progression in devolution. That doesn't seem like a controversial stance to take.
People literally degrade. It's called aging. Not to say the last year of your life couldn't be the pinnacle of your existence, but likely not.
We progress through life, but for most it's a series of highs, lows, and everything in-between. Stories should follow suit.
Only video games have you constantly leveling up until reaching some sort of god mode. Fun, but not the basis for good fiction.

Anders Limpar

Ageing and devolving are not the same thing. You're premise is massively flawed. Are the Stones the same band they were in the 70's? No. Do they still bang it out for 2.5 hrs on a nightly basis with the best of them? Absolutely. In their 70's, they haven't devolved back to the band that was playing nothing but r and b covers in their teens/early 20's.

Because of ageing, has Robert Deniro devolved back to where he was when he was first starting out as an actor? No.

In sports, wily old/grizzled veteran is a common phrase, that's not a reference to them devolving back to the state they were in in their rookie year.

Han devolves back to where he was in ANH. Luke is a cowardly shell of himself. It's not growth, it's not progression. That's not ageing, that's devolving due to very poor/nonsensical writing when it comes to already established characters.

There is no going forward in going backwards.

ppete1975

To be fair...that’s not really Disney’s fault.

I’ll use visual aids.

aging did not do her well, and of course the drugs and mental issues.
Honestly if they had made movies it would have just been luke unless they got her to clean up a bit, IF not they would have killed her off after one movie, Harrison ford would have demanded a fortune and for his character to be killed quickly (he wanted out after the first one), so we could have had luke and the kids from han and leia which would have made good movies.
I agree with the prequels could have been made anytime and they should have made 789 10 11 12 5-10 years after return.

Then again for us old people, we thought they would never make another star wars after return. We call these the DARK TIMES (I was 8) and after the hub bub from that movie you could feel star wars die. The toys, no shows, no movies. I remember how excited I was when they brought back the bodybuilder star wars toys and then the prequels.

Hence why as much as I hated ep 8 im still glad star wars returned so I wont complain.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
aging did not do her well, and of course the drugs and mental issues.
Honestly if they had made movies it would have just been luke unless they got her to clean up a bit, IF not they would have killed her off after one movie, Harrison ford would have demanded a fortune and for his character to be killed quickly (he wanted out after the first one), so we could have had luke and the kids from han and leia which would have made good movies.
I agree with the prequels could have been made anytime and they should have made 789 10 11 12 5-10 years after return.

Then again for us old people, we thought they would never make another star wars after return. We call these the DARK TIMES (I was 8) and after the hub bub from that movie you could feel star wars die. The toys, no shows, no movies. I remember how excited I was when they brought back the bodybuilder star wars toys and then the prequels.

Hence why as much as I hated ep 8 im still glad star wars returned so I wont complain.
I mostly agree with you.

Ford’s public comments implying he was “ripped off” for decades would have been a major deterrent.

Cause he only has enough money for 3 ex wives and to crash one plane a week.

I weep

We are similar in carbon dates...and I remember the dry up. People moved on. I can remember a few miscellaneous toys hanging around the back shelf In Kmart (before Walmart ruined the world)...I can remember max rebo’s Band in particular (wish I had that now)...

It was like losing a friend in many ways...we had karate kid and goonies and ghostbusters and gremlins...and then top gun (stoked for maverick...sleeper hit...don’t laugh)...then Batman...

But those 3 movies left a bit of a void. They resonated like this stuff does not.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hate to say it, but from the trailer, I have to agree. Lol
For all the shade thrown it’s way...top gun was an incredibly impactful movie

It came at the right place and time and filled a niche that’s still there.

Don Simpson said he wanted to make “ rock stars in the sky”...what a brilliant simple idea

Of course it became fashionable to pan it afterward ...like Jedi

Bull! Everybody loved it

erasure fan1

Don Simpson said he wanted to make “ rock stars in the sky”...what a brilliant simple idea

Bull! Everybody loved it
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't remember it ever really being panned. Maybe it's because everyone I know loved it. Lol. It still in my top movies of all time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe I'm naive, but I don't remember it ever really being panned. Maybe it's because everyone I know loved it. Lol. It still in my top movies of all time.
It’s my #2...behind my #1 that I just mentioned.

That’s certainly not the “best” list...just the movies I’ve always enjoyed the most.

Top gun was loved when It came out and for years after...then it got a lot of flack from 95-15 as the new breed of internet trolls/sjw entertainment reporters decided it didn’t meet their current standards. Just like Jedi. The problem with Hollywood press is they care not for matters of time and space. It’s silly.

Anders Limpar

Bull! Everybody loved it

I was a little too young to have loved Top Gun although I do remember watching it in the 80's. Topper Harley was my rockstar in the sky.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom