Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

erasure fan1

The trailer was about what I expected. I didn't think it would give all that much away, and it didn't. I saw a lot of cool star warsy visuals. But I figured it would be heavy in "wow, look at that!" Moments. All in all, I liked the trailer a lot. Of course I expected to as Disneys done a great job with star wars trailers. I'm still super curious as to how this all plays out.

Epcot_Imagineer

Sequel trilogy has been very hit or miss for me. TFA was just a rehash/reboot of ANH. It had fan service, offered a few glimmers of something interesting, but all around a pretty meh movie for me. TLJ was much better in my opinion, though I felt its highs were higher than TFA, and its lows were lower. TFA highs: Kylo/Rey interactions, Kylo's descent, Rey's tests, introduction of some interesting new characters, beautiful cinematography, handling of Luke (this one is a contentious point for some, sorry, I felt they did it right). TFA lows: Canto Bight, Rose's sacrifice AND Finn's dumb plan, Poe's character in general, Hux becoming the comedic bad guy for some reason. I do have hope for Ep. 9, and am excited for this and hope all works out to a satisfying conclusion!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The trailer was about what I expected. I didn't think it would give all that much away, and it didn't. I saw a lot of cool star warsy visuals. But I figured it would be heavy in "wow, look at that!" Moments. All in all, I liked the trailer a lot. Of course I expected to as Disneys done a great job with star wars trailers. I'm still super curious as to how this all plays out.
I get the impression that beyond the obvious - which is to make it seem like the greatest thing ever to the non-discerning - it seemed like abrams/Kennedy/boy toy are convinced that what they’ve done is “good” and the trailer in a way was defiance in that stance

Wendy Pleakley

Never has something meant to be purely fun been so exhausting. That will be the epitaph...I fear...forever.

It’s now more the legacy of the whole thing more than the wonder of the originals.

I suspect this is only exhausting to people who hated TLJ and have been obsessing over it constantly ever since. Most of us thought what we thought and are waiting for the final movie with an open mind.

Sure looks like an attempt to redo the last two movies to me.

Didn’t see any “first order”...really. And from “all new” characters...they have I believe at least FOUR confirmed characters that are direct or indirect calls to the bullpen of the OT...maybe more

And huge battles...when numbskull decided to shrink everything down to a few people...

Or am I the only one that hit his head in 2015 and sees it??

Yes, we know you think you're the only one who saw TLJ as being bad and everyone else is wrong.

Of course there will still be huge battles. TLJ set up an interesting notion of the Resistance/Rebellion having to rebuild support but the inevitable conclusion of that storyline is the galaxy banding together to take on the First Order/Empire.

I don't see any attempt to redo the previous two movies. The Emperor bringing his enemies together so he can crush them does bring Return of the Jedi to mind.

The Emperor being the villain still seems odd to me, and possibly shoe horned in because the new trilogy failed to establish an Emperor like figure. We never got any real backstory for Snoke in TFA so he just seemed to be there out of obligation to having a Sith/apprentice relationship.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe it's just because my caring levels have really dipped or it was just to early in the morning, but that trailer really didn't excite me at all. Think I may need to take another look at it tonight.
It didn’t get better the second time...I watched it twice before I made any comments.

I’m sure we can dissect later. But the major problem is again trying to insert cryptkeeper Leia where she no longer belongs

Wendy Pleakley

Maybe it's just because my caring levels have really dipped or it was just to early in the morning, but that trailer really didn't excite me at all. Think I may need to take another look at it tonight.

It was "generic Star Wars trailer".

The action and visuals look fine, which was never much in doubt. The lack of excitement may be due to the trailer not really giving a feel for what the story is going to be like.

Which, as I said before, isn't a bad thing. They didn't lay the story out completely in the trailer.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Visuals look outstandingly great. I hope it has a great ending.

They say Ep. 9 broke presale records. What they didn’t say is the Endgame broke the internet. This won’t come close to Endgame. Probably wont come close to Infinity War. I think it will be superior to The Last Jedi though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

They say Ep. 9 broke presale records. What they didn’t say is the Endgame broke the internet. This won’t come close to Endgame. Probably wont come close to Infinity War. I think it will be superior to The Last Jedi though.
Correct me if I’m wrong...

But hasn’t the problem since 1999 been “only” visuals? And no Depth of character or coherent story?

The show of a good film has nothing to do with Pre-Sale or the first 10 days...

Or as brilliantly pointed out today: on metacritic

So we should all just wait and see if the place is packed on January 4th...or the 11th...or the 18th

That’s how you’ll know how the final chapter of this book is written.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Correct me if I’m wrong...

But hasn’t the problem since 1999 been “only” visuals? And no Depth of character or coherent story?

The show of a good film has nothing to do with Pre-Sale or the first 10 days...

Or as brilliantly pointed out today: on metacritic

So we should all just wait and see if the place is packed on January 4th...or the 11th...or the 18th

That’s how you’ll know how the final chapter of this book is written.
You’re right. I’m only going off what I see. Overall quality, which I don’t mention because I haven’t seen it, remains to be seen. It still won’t catch Endgame.

LSLS

That whole thing is strange to me. They are saying it beat end game by 45% on one website. Now, I honestly have no clue what that site is, but I have a tough time believing that is not an outlier. I'm not surprised at it having big presales, I just dont see it being 50% more than end game.

Just to go a step further on it, I bought end game tickets right when presale started. By that night, the entire Thursday night was sold out (along with a few other times during the weekend). I just went and looked at star wars, and a little over half the seats are still available for the thursday night screenings. Anecdotal I know, but again, I just have a tough time buying it being on end games level.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That whole thing is strange to me. They are saying it beat end game by 45% on one website. Now, I honestly have no clue what that site is, but I have a tough time believing that is not an outlier. I'm not surprised at it having big presales, I just dont see it being 50% more than end game.

Just to go a step further on it, I bought end game tickets right when presale started. By that night, the entire Thursday night was sold out (along with a few other times during the weekend). I just went and looked at star wars, and a little over half the seats are still available for the thursday night screenings. Anecdotal I know, but again, I just have a tough time buying it being on end games level.
I didn’t buy tickets...but took a look at amc and regal for poops and chuckles...

And there are a lot of Friday, Saturday, Sunday tickets all over the place available.

Couldn’t get Maleficent last week...by the way.

This smells of classic Disney “reporting to the reporters the narrative”

EDIT: that “outselling” was according to atom tickets...a relatively minor player in the game. So maybe they are doing great...I’d be interested to hear what fandango and the direct sites say?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom