Return of the Jedi - 5 seconds
Phantom Menace - 4 seconds
Attack of the Clones - 3 seconds
Revenge of the Sith - 4 seconds
The Force Awakens - 9 seconds
The Last Jedi - 7 seconds
The Rise of Skywalker - 33 seconds
Well that makes sense too...

But I think you were generous with one of those. There are like 2 flashes...

Good job on the legwork, by the way 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you have read some of the new books they will point to certain plot points that show up in that sizzle reel.
That is absolutely not what they are gonna for/claim. They made specific references to killing that “EU” kinda stuff 5 years ago.

In modern Hollywood, expecting people to actually read books to understand a movie is DOA

CinematicFusion

If that is only a vision of Dark Side Rey...it's a total fail. Never misdirect an audience in a trailer. It just upsets them. Luke Skywalker firing up the falcon in TLJ trailer was such a powerful shot....but meant nothing. It was a complete misdirect and ed off a lot of people. Disney needed to get fans in the theater, the first trailer didn't work that well.

For it to work, it has to be a clone of Rey, Rey turns briefly to the dark side, Palpatine possess her.
But for Rey to look in a mirror see herself as a sith and turn around and then say... "That's not me" Why do that and show it in a trailer?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If that is only a vision of Dark Side Rey...it's a total fail. Never misdirect an audience in a trailer. It just upsets them. Luke Skywalker firing up the falcon in TLJ trailer was such a powerful shot....but meant nothing. It was a complete misdirect and ****ed off a lot of people. Disney needed to get fans in the theater, the first trailer didn't work that well.

For it to work, it has to be a clone of Rey, Rey turns briefly to the dark side, Palpatine possess her.
But for Rey to look in a mirror see herself as a sith and turn around and then say... "That's not me" Why do that and show it in a trailer?
They had ginger zee (my girl) ask daisy Ridley if she turned to the dark side and Ridley did this dumb “I don’t know...did I? ...maybe?”

Which means “no”...and that means it’s exactly what they just did.

Abrams isn’t gonna give up he and “Kath’s” heroine. And of course she can’t carry hamill’s boots in a dump truck.

At least we have cryptkeeper leia...AMMARIGHT?!??
I'm hoping time travel and we get the original cast together one last time.
But George burned all the stock footage when they made the special editions

Last edited:

bclane

Ok, so first I would not call that a trailer (in the traditional sense) as it was mostly a recap of what has led up to the events of IX. It was appropriate as a D23 hype piece, but not as a trailer imo. But whatever it was it was fricken awesome! My gosh, my jaw literally dropped on some of those images and I cannot wait to see how this all plays out and if JJ has actually found a way to pull it off. I have no idea what is really going on with Rey. I actually like when teasers/trailers/hype reels don’t reveal the plot but instead give just you a glimpse of an idea of what kind of things to expect...so i’m fine if it turns out it’s only a Force vision. I don’t want Rey to fall. But dang did she look bad*** so it wouldn’t kill me if she joined the naughty team for a little while. Don’t hate me but I loved every second of that.

CinematicFusion

They had ginger zee (my girl) ask daisy Ridley if she turned to the dark side and Ridley did this dumb “I don’t know...did I? ...maybe?”

Which means “no”...and that means it’s exactly what they just did.

Abrams isn’t gonna give up he and “Kath’s” heroine. And of course she can’t carry hamill’a boots in a dump truck.

At least we have cryptkeeper leia...AMMARIGHT?!??
But George burned all the stock footage when they made the special editions
awesome.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If that is only a vision of Dark Side Rey...it's a total fail. Never misdirect an audience in a trailer. It just upsets them. Luke Skywalker firing up the falcon in TLJ trailer was such a powerful shot....but meant nothing. It was a complete misdirect and ****ed off a lot of people. Disney needed to get fans in the theater, the first trailer didn't work that well.

I have the opposite mindset.

A trailer should get you to the theater and that is it. I am fine with misdirection. So many trailers we see today give away half of the movie.

Case in point...one of the coolest scenes in episode one was spoiled in the very first trailer.

source.gif

People that make trailers need to relearn the art of the tease.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ok, so first I would not call that a trailer (in the traditional sense) as it was mostly a recap of what has led up to the events of IX. It was appropriate as a D23 hype piece, but not as a trailer imo. But whatever it was it was fricken awesome! My gosh, my jaw literally dropped on some of those images and I cannot wait to see how this all plays out and if JJ has actually found a way to pull it off. I have no idea what is really going on with Rey. I actually like when teasers/trailers/hype reels don’t reveal the plot but instead give just you a glimpse of an idea of what kind of things to expect...so i’m fine if it turns out it’s only a Force vision. I don’t want Rey to fall. But dang did she look bad*** so it wouldn’t kill me if she joined the naughty team for a little while. Don’t hate me but I loved every second of that.
Agree...but it’s such an indictment that they did that. It’s a “conviction” Or a “plea deal” actually.

The second image on their rollout was Alec freakin Guinness...

They are begging for forgiveness behind the standard Disney veneer of arrogance.
Tell me I’m wrong.

I just hope they shot a fun movie...so I can watch it on digital in March when it’s released. It looks completely like Jedi...which being my personal favorite could be tolerable. Maybe.

But all that “jaw drop” you saw appear to be pretty clearly pulled from 1983...fleets, cackling emperor watching two people fight, billy dee octogenarian flying the falcon.

Let’s not mince.

CinematicFusion

I have a feeling it's a dark side mirror at a dark side shop that shows her in the latest Sith fashion trends and she declines to purchase them from Palpatine. This makes him upset because he works really hard on his outfits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

A trailer should get you to the theater and that is it. I am fine with misdirection. So many trailers we see today give away half of the movie.

Case in point...one of the coolest scenes in episode one was spoiled in the very first trailer.

source.gif

But with abrams boring rep and Kennedy’s incompetence...misdirection here is tired schtick

In just this case

CinematicFusion

source.gif

That's its job...but man did it make me and a bunch of others hate on TLJ. My opinion.
That was a fake Luke Skywalker set up... they should have had him sucking green titty milk. Get the audience prepared.

The Darth maul shot from Phantom Menance shows a fight is about to happen... and it did.

...and to be fair, this is all speculation on my part. I have no idea what gong to happen and I'm biased because of my negative reaction to TLJ.
I did really enjoy TFA so I'm rooting for J.J. to succeed.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's its job...but man did it make me and a bunch of others hate on TLJ. My opinion.
That was a fake Luke Skywalker set up... they should have had him sucking green titty milk. Get the audience prepared.

The Darth maul shot from Phantom Menance shows a fight is about to happen... and it did.
I shouldn’t laugh...

But come on...I can’t hold it here 😂

But maul, contrary to your point, Yoda, is the EXACT example of how they can’t make a trailer to save their lives for Star Wars anymore.

What a useless, pointless bit character - devoid of character - that they can’t let go of...

He was the “twist” in the first ever Star Wars flop.

He’s like boba fett 2.0...looks cool but is as fringe as they come.

Akbar won a war and they sucked him out of a window offscreen 😳

Two left feet...is how I would describes LFL’s current mindset.

TeddyinMO

That teaser reel sent chills up my spine. Loved the old clips; loved the fact that AOTC only got 3 seconds as it’s up there with the Christmas special in terms of quality.

My theory on Rey, which is sure to be wrong... To truly and finally bring balance to the force, Rey needs to explore the dark side and harness its power for good. Essentially she’s bringing the darkness into the light. We are seeing her journey.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That teaser reel sent chills up my spine. Loved the old clips; loved the fact that AOTC only got 3 seconds as it’s up there with the Christmas special in terms of quality.

My theory on Rey, which is sure to be wrong... To truly and finally bring balance to the force, Rey needs to explore the dark side and harness its power for good. Essentially she’s bringing the darkness into the light. We are seeing her journey.
Yep...I love return of the Jedi too!!!

CinematicFusion

Maybe J.J. is taking a page out of the awesome 80's series Knight Rider and Light side Rey Vs. Dark side Rey is his equivalent to David Hasselholf playing the evil Garth Knight vs. the Good Micheal Knight. All we need to do is put a mustache on Rey and it would be perfect.

Good guy...
hasselhoff-knight-rider.jpg

65267570_603490853471085_2974316791944807226_n.jpg

Bad guy
Oh the 80s.....

sedati

I always felt she'd tapped into the dark side during that pause in her fight with Kylo on Starkiller base in Force Awakens. It was her following attack style that led to so many comparisons between her technique and Sideous.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I always felt she'd tapped into the dark side during that pause in her fight with Kylo on Starkiller base in Force Awakens. It was her following attack style that led to so many comparisons between her technique and Sideous.
The problem is that after two movies...we don’t have the shantest of clues...

The #1 goal of every film is to “keep them guessing”...apparently

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom