Star Tours not randomizing scenes very well?

boufa

This is proof, its all about expectations. Once you set out on a partucular goal, if you dont make it to that goal, even if the goal was excessive then you failed.

If star tours was not pushed as random, different ride each time, no one would be complaining, but since the bar was set at random, if it SEEMS to fall short.

I have to doubt that the random is broke. Doesn't make any sense to me either financially, or even mechanically. Go buy a lottery ticket. I also have to doubt that you got the exact same combination each time with no others. Everyone else here has pointed out that 1 segment was the same, most times, but they all seem to have had some variation (even if minor).

I recommend 4, 8, 15, 25, 47. and the Mega Ball number 42. :drevil:

Kamikaze

Now, on the subject of random, are you a Lost fan?
If not, look at the first three numbers you picked.

4 - 8 - 15

Random chance that you would pick the first three 'Lost' numbers? Pretty low. Does it prove it wasn't random? No.

CaptainJackNO

You know, we always get frustrated because it appears TDO doesn't really heed the complaints and suggestions of WDW freaks like us. I think I know why they don't listen to diehards. There is nothing we will not complain about, is there?

We used to complain, boy Start Tours really needs a refurb, it hasn't changed since its opening. Well, here's the change, and we still complain. Now, I totally understand why they don't really listen to us. Many of us have extremely high expectations for WDW that it appears that it is unable to stand up to, in our own opinions. I would like to see the stats on the percentage of threads that are started for reasons other than to complain about WDW. I know it's everyone's right to complain, especially for what WDW costs, but it appears that, no matter, what, most folks are not going to be happy.

hrcollectibles

I rode Star Tours twice in one day, back to back times, and both times had the exact same ride. Darth Vader/Hoth/Princess Leia/Planet with Jar Jar Binks (not sure of the name).

Scuttle

Things like this are funny. Just because the mathematical odds of getting a specific overall experience multiple times in a row is slim, the individual choices repeating isn't that off. 1/3 or 1/2. You have to think about each thing as it's own roll of the dice, not the overall thing.

Exactlly. It's just very rare to experience the entire same ride that you just rode, but very possible to experience 2 of the same scenes since there's limited options. I haven't rode Star Tours 2 yet is it really good? I've read great and bad things.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exactlly. It's just very rare to experience the entire same ride that you just rode, but very possible to experience 2 of the same scenes since there's limited options. I haven't rode Star Tours 2 yet is it really good? I've read great and bad things.
It is a vast improvement over what was there, but it is still a simulator. Aside from the random elements it is not really breaking and new ground. If you liked ST1.0 you will love ST2.0.

Thurp

Original Poster
I created StarToursPassport.net to let space travelers keep track of their Star Tours flights. As a result I have a log of over 3000 flights. Here are the stats.
<snip>

Awesome!

I guess that the stats you pulled include data since the attraction first opened. Would you be able to pull the stats for, say, the last 2 weeks? Would we see anything different? I'm just curious if it's still randomizing things properly. Or if something went wrong and they just pre-programmed specific flights in certain cabins?

I'm just confused as to why we'd get the same ride 3 times in a row when mathematically speaking the odds of that happening are not that great.

I also have to doubt that you got the exact same combination each time with no others.

I have absolutely no reason to make this up or anything to gain by lying. I assure you that all 3 rides were exactly the same. It seemed so odd to me that I had to post about it.

thelookingglass

When my wife and I rode it last weekend, one of the projectors wasn't working. This resulted in a non-3d nausea inducing ride, because it was as if one of your eyes was covered with a very dark sunglasses lens, and the other was normal. You were ok if you removed your glasses or closed the affected eye, but this resulted in a much less impressive and fun ride. The whole car was like "what was that? That wasn't very fun" The biggest issue was that they didn't have CMs waiting to apolgize, and when I brought it up to the CM for the next group, she said "thanks, I'll let someone know" and then allowed the next group of people to board. No FPs, no "let's make sure everyone experiences this ride like they should". I let guest relations know, but that was a very un-Disneylike experience and sad since the ride is really great when working properly.
Translation: "I don't care, my job is just to press buttons (except it isn't), get out of my face."

Ugh, typical attitude of CM's who don't care at all. And this attitude is becoming more and more common.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Awesome!

I guess that the stats you pulled include data since the attraction first opened. Would you be able to pull the stats for, say, the last 2 weeks? Would we see anything different? I'm just curious if it's still randomizing things properly. Or if something went wrong and they just pre-programmed specific flights in certain cabins?

I'm just confused as to why we'd get the same ride 3 times in a row when mathematically speaking the odds of that happening are not that great.

I have absolutely no reason to make this up or anything to gain by lying. I assure you that all 3 rides were exactly the same. It seemed so odd to me that I had to post about it.

Very small indeed. The odds of the exact same show a second time are 1/54, or slightly under 2%. The odds of the exact same show three times in a row, are 1/54 squared, or 1/2,916! You have experienced a very rare event if the simulators are indeed randomly selecting scenes. Given the low likelihood of this occurring randomly, I can certainly see why you were thinking that perhaps the randomizer isn't quite as random as it's supposed to be.

That being said, 1 of every 2,916 people who ride three times will experience this.

As for me, I rode 4 times at Disneyland opening weekend, never had exactly the same ride, and experienced all 11 different sections, with no section coming up more than twice.

Skooterkid

I created StarToursPassport.net to let space travelers keep track of their Star Tours flights. As a result I have a log of over 3000 flights. Here are the stats.

Total Flights Logged: 3122

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%
Stormtroopers 1341 - 43.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Princess Leia 1093 - 35.0%
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%
Admiral Ackbar 949 - 30.4%

Wow, what a cool idea. I just signed up, so I'll definitely stamp my passport after my first tour in 3 weeks time :)

jakeman

As for me, I rode 4 times at Disneyland opening weekend, never had exactly the same ride, and experienced all 11 different sections, with no section coming up more than twice.
Isn't that because Disneyland is better at everything? Even randomizing? :lookaroun

stuey222

I'd be willing to bet that each simulator has a computer attached to it that randomly assigns the scenes, but you won't be riding the same simulator each time AND you more than likely won't ride the same simulator twice in a row, so the chance of actually getting the same ride in a few shots would probably be the same as getting a totally different ride.

Condorman

Isn't that because Disneyland is better at everything? Even randomizing? :lookaroun

If by "better" you mean a half-a**ed Nemo submarine ride -- whatever that has to do with the movie; or a stock, off-the-shelf, pleasant and delightful redux of Space Mountain rather than the original, true-to-form version in Orlando; or a $1.5 billion overhaul of DCA because they got it wrong the first time (they never had to do anything like that in WDW); not to mention a world's fair version of TLM ride in a building, yes, in a plain-front building, as opposed to the themed one MK is getting... then, yeah, I'd say DL does everything "better." :ROFLOL:

Thanks for the early morning chuckle. Much appreciated.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
If by "better" you mean a half-a**ed Nemo submarine ride -- whatever that has to do with the movie; or a stock, off-the-shelf, pleasant and delightful redux of Space Mountain rather than the original, true-to-form version in Orlando; or a $1.5 billion overhaul of DCA because they got it wrong the first time (they never had to do anything like that in WDW); not to mention a world's fair version of TLM ride in a building, yes, in a plain-front building, as opposed to the themed one MK is getting... then, yeah, I'd say DL does everything "better." :ROFLOL:

Thanks for the early morning chuckle. Much appreciated.

Just for clarification, what movie are you referring to?

WDWFREAK53

4 - 8 - 15

Random chance that you would pick the first three 'Lost' numbers? Pretty low. Does it prove it wasn't random? No.

(He even hit the "Magic Ball" of 42!)

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
This is proof, its all about expectations. Once you set out on a partucular goal, if you dont make it to that goal, even if the goal was excessive then you failed.

If star tours was not pushed as random, different ride each time, no one would be complaining, but since the bar was set at random, if it SEEMS to fall short.

I have to doubt that the random is broke. Doesn't make any sense to me either financially, or even mechanically. Go buy a lottery ticket. I also have to doubt that you got the exact same combination each time with no others. Everyone else here has pointed out that 1 segment was the same, most times, but they all seem to have had some variation (even if minor).

4 - 8 - 15

Just proves that he's aware of this.

http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/05/lost-numbers-lottery/

And don't ever play "the numbers" in the lottery. Not just because you get bad luck if you win, but because, if you do hit the jackpot, you'll be sharing it with lots of others. Same reason you should NOT play all numbers less than 31, numbers that make a pattern on the selection form, etc. -- much higher likelihood you'll share the prize.

thelookingglass

Is it possible that when the OP rode, the computer responsible for picking the scenes was malfunctioning, so it gave out whatever was last generated at random?

erasure fan1

Just got back and we went on 3 times. The break down went like this:

1. Storm trooper, Hoth, Yoda, Coruscant
2. Vader, Tatooine, Yoda, Corucant
3. Storm trooper, Kashyyk, Ackbar, Coruscant

While I would have liked to see one of the other destinations aside form Corusant and Leia, Id say the randomness was OK.

Master Yoda said:
It is a vast improvement over what was there, but it is still a simulator. Aside from the random elements it is not really breaking and new ground. If you liked ST1.0 you will love ST2.0

I will agree 100%. I loved ST1 and think ST2 is a much better attraction. The only issue with the ride I had was with the baggage inspector droid in the queue. The first time everything worked, The 2nd and 3rd times we went throughout the trip, only the droid was working and not the other part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom