Star Tours not randomizing scenes very well?

Timekeeper

I think the biggest problem is the hype that went behind the ride. ... I think a lot of people are just mad because the way it was marketed was that you wouldn't experience the same ride back to back ever even though there was a large possibility that you could.

Agreed. There's no complaints over experiencing the same ride twice; after all, that's virtually every ride at every theme park. But, as you suggested, it was simply over-marketed.

Maerj

I'm a huge Star Wars fan and would be happy to just be able to go on the ride, let alone see every different version. Unfortunately, the current financial situation is preventing me from visiting WDW at all but maybe, hopefully, next year I will be able to. If/when I do, I will really look forward to experiencing this!

jakeman

Wait a minute. I thought it was under marketed:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/was-the-star-tours-rework-a-success-for-disney.841149/

You guys need to sort out why a ride sucks so the bandwagon has a clear opinion to beat into the ground.

Also, even if you just account for the three main scenes, the chances are still very low you are going to get same exact sequence. What is it? Three different ones? Someone help me with the mat, but isn't that like 11% or so?

Oddysey

I created StarToursPassport.net to let space travelers keep track of their Star Tours flights. As a result I have a log of over 3000 flights. Here are the stats.

Total Flights Logged: 3122

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%
Stormtroopers 1341 - 43.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Princess Leia 1093 - 35.0%
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%
Admiral Ackbar 949 - 30.4%

Thanks for sharing these numbers. With such a large sample size the numbers should be reliable. I didnt find any need to read past your post because the numbers are well distributed, and it renders all complaints irrelevant.

Tink313

I rode Star Wars last August during emh. We had to ride it 20 times in a row :( to finally get the hoth plant.:D I had never been so happy to get off a ride. We were getting so nauseous:confused:

tl77

I created StarToursPassport.net to let space travelers keep track of their Star Tours flights. As a result I have a log of over 3000 flights. Here are the stats.

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%

han+solo.jpg

wilkeliza

Wait a minute. I thought it was under marketed:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/was-the-star-tours-rework-a-success-for-disney.841149/

You guys need to sort out why a ride sucks so the bandwagon has a clear opinion to beat into the ground.

I never said the ride was bad or that I didn't like it. I mean I rode it 10 times in 1 day. Most people don't do that if they don't like something. I was just stating that I remember when Star Tours first came out all the online previews and clips I saw kept saying 52 combinations you can ride it several times and never experience the same ride. If they had not said it that way people wouldn't have expected it but I have heard several people grumble at the parks upon getting off because they had the exact same ride as they did before even though they were told it was going to be different every time. I guess it is just the fact that if you tell people it is possible that you will get a different ride every time they expect that if they ride it 52 times they will never see the same show even though that isn't probable.

Patricia Melton

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%

This is wonderful! I had always wondered what all the options were. My family has rode this ride a few times and I remember being on the Wookie planet, being on Coruscant, and flying by the Death Star. I don't remember us ever seeing Hoth (the ice planet) or Naboo (the Renaissance planet). I think we had Admiral Ackbar talking to us and I never saw Leia or Yoda.

I get so excited just "flying" through space in that ride that I don't even care where we go as long as I can experience it. I can see why some people would try to see all of them.

Does your site have POVs of all the different tours? That would be fun, to see them all.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If they had not said it that way people wouldn't have expected it but I have heard several people grumble at the parks upon getting off because they had the exact same ride as they did before even though they were told it was going to be different every time

I think if you were to actually quiz these people on specifics, you'd probably find their 'exact same ride' really was more like 'destinations we've already seen' instead of the same ride combination.

RAXIP

Here are updated stats with over twice as many flights logged. Almost exactly one year later.

Total Flights Logged: 6961

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 3942 - 56.6%
Stormtroopers 3019 - 43.4%

Destinations
Tatooine 2624 - 37.7%
Hoth 2225 - 32.0%
Kashyyyk 2111 - 30.3%

Death Star 2597 - 37.3%
Naboo 2210 - 31.7%
Coruscant 2152 - 30.9%

Transmissions Received
Princess Leia 2551 - 36.6%
Yoda 2311 - 33.2%
Admiral Ackbar 2097 - 30.1%

July 31 2011

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 1781 - 57.0%

Destinations
Tatooine 1144 - 36.6%
Hoth 1061 - 34.0%
Kashyyyk 917 - 29.4%

Death Star 1184 - 37.9%
Naboo 987 - 31.6%
Coruscant 951 - 30.5%

Transmissions Received
Yoda 1080 - 34.6%

RSoxNo1

As a former Cast Member of Star Tours who just recently left, let me firmly state that we can't stand when people complain with no insight into what we actually go through. For every Guest that relaxes and just enjoys themselves there are that many more who like many have repeatedly said put their expectations too high.

I'm sorry for whomever may have seemed rude to you but none of our issues with the simulators can be fixed instantly. We need to call it in to Maintainnace who will then get to it when they finish fixing everything else like the Fastpass machines that don't work fast enough for you or a rope in the queue that your child sat on and broke even though we told them repeatedly not to.

The queue time will also not change from 10 minutes to an hour instantly because all of you showed up at once after you left Indiana Jones. All of the glasses are fine even if there is a small scratch or water spots from when we clean them and no you can't keep them.

As far as the randomization goes, we get contradicting instructions from management. Your math is all correct by the way for those of you that did it. We as CM's are not supposed to really tell you there are 52 combinations of sequences of 11 different scenes. Yet on the hotel video with "Stacy" she blabs that there are over 50 different journies. Which is true...from a certain point of view.

Anyway sorry I ranted but after all of that I'm sure we can come together and agree on one thing. Brazilian Tour Groups suck.

CaptainWinter

Also, even if you just account for the three main scenes, the chances are still very low you are going to get same exact sequence. What is it? Three different ones? Someone
help me with the mat, but isn't that like 11% or so?

Not sure exactly what you mean by three main scenes, but I'm guessing you mean everything but the "transmission" sequence. If so, you have 2 choices (Darth Vader, Stormtroopers), 3 choices (Tatooine, Hoth, Kashyyyk) and 3 choices (Death Star, Naboo, Coruscant). Among these there are 2*3*3 = 18 different sequences.

If you go on the ride twice (and assuming the sequence selections are totally independent and all sequences are equally likely) the chance you get the same sequence the second time that you got the first time is 1/18, about 5.5%.

jakeman

Not sure exactly what you mean by three main scenes, but I'm guessing you mean everything but the "transmission" sequence. If so, you have 2 choices (Darth Vader, Stormtroopers), 3 choices (Tatooine, Hoth, Kashyyyk) and 3 choices (Death Star, Naboo, Coruscant). Among these there are 2*3*3 = 18 different sequences.

If you go on the ride twice (and assuming the sequence selections are totally independent and all sequences are equally likely) the chance you get the same sequence the second time that you got the first time is 1/18, about 5.5%.
Ah thanks. That is what I mean. I don't think many folks will count a different character telling you there is a spy as a whole new experience.

Still, people are complaining about something that happens 5.5% of the time (or even if you just get a repeat of one scene, a maximum of 50% of the time).

Ignohippo

Here are updated stats with over twice as many flights logged. Almost exactly one year later.

Total Flights Logged: 6961

Imperial Entanglements
Darth Vader 3942 - 56.6%
Stormtroopers 3019 - 43.4%

Destinations
Tatooine 2624 - 37.7%
Hoth 2225 - 32.0%
Kashyyyk 2111 - 30.3%

Death Star 2597 - 37.3%
Naboo 2210 - 31.7%
Coruscant 2152 - 30.9%

Transmissions Received
Princess Leia 2551 - 36.6%
Yoda 2311 - 33.2%
Admiral Ackbar 2097 - 30.1%

That's really bizarre. I'll bet we've ridden the ride 50 times and have never seen the Death Star sequence. No one I know has ever seen it either. We've seen Hoth much fewer than the other sequences as well.

I know your numbers are what they are, but it would make sense (with Lucas pushing the prequels much more than the original trilogy) that the two locations from the original trilogy would be on much less of a rotation than the others. It has seemed to me that the Naboo closing sequence is about 2/1 or 3/1 on the Coruscant sequence too.

I really need to be tracking my rides on your site!

disneyeater

That's really bizarre. I'll bet we've ridden the ride 50 times and have never seen the Death Star sequence. No one I know has ever seen it either. We've seen Hoth much fewer than the other sequences as well.

I know your numbers are what they are, but it would make sense (with Lucas pushing the prequels much more than the original trilogy) that the two locations from the original trilogy would be on much less of a rotation than the others. It has seemed to me that the Naboo closing sequence is about 2/1 or 3/1 on the Coruscant sequence too.

I really need to be tracking my rides on your site!

I only road once, but I had the Death Star sequence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom