Star Tours II - Secrets, Tributes, Remnants

Figment82

I rode it last night and got the Death Star segment, but unfortunately our cabin was so warm that by the time we got to that point, I was just concentrating on not getting sick. I'd love to see the Mighty Microscope, and I'm glad to hear it found a home in the new version. For some reason I've always been intrigued by Adventure Through Inner Space although I never had the chance to ride it.

Thank you for the list of details, I had fun looking for them. The attraction and queue are excellent, except for the lack of A/C...

NewfieFan

I rode it last night and got the Death Star segment, but unfortunately our cabin was so warm that by the time we got to that point, I was just concentrating on not getting sick. I'd love to see the Mighty Microscope, and I'm glad to hear it found a home in the new version. For some reason I've always been intrigued by Adventure Through Inner Space although I never had the chance to ride it.

Thank you for the list of details, I had fun looking for them. The attraction and queue are excellent, except for the lack of A/C...

Is there lack of A/C... or is it just not working properly at the moment?

I would assume every attraction in WDW has adequate A/C - it's Florida!!!

Thrill Seeker

Caution: this thread contains SPOILERS!

Part of what makes the new Star Tours so awesome, for me at least, is the incredible level of inside jokes, remnants, and homages. Here’s what I’ve been able to find so far, listed “chronologically” as we progress through the queue and ride:

THX1138. On the terminal boarding announcements, watch the bottom of the screen for Flight 1138 to Chandrila.

Captain Rex. As you cross into the second queue room, look to your left to spot Rex, our former pilot. He’s now marked “defective” and is being sent back for repairs. Listen for a while and you’ll hear some audio from the original ride. I love this tribute, but I’m aware that it’s anachronistic. We’re in the time frame between Episode 3 and Episode 4, so the Rex pilot we know and love hasn’t even been installed yet—having a joke about him is a bit “out of time.” I suppose this is an “even earlier” version of Rex we’re looking at? It’s weak, but it’s the only way to make sense of it.

Robot Birds. In the original Orlando queue, robotic birds sat atop the entry door just after the second G2 droid—they looked a bit like Salacious Crumb, the lackey “monkey” near Jabba in the movies. They are now encased in a cage near Rex, no longer animated.

TK-421. The Stormtrooper who “wasn’t at his post” in the original Star Wars movie is honored here with a sign just above Rex and the other droids.

Star Tours-Anaheim’s Opening Date. Star Tours in Anaheim opened on January 9, 1987 (I was there!), so the mention of 109.87 is no accident! This number appears on the front side of the “suitcase tube” behind G2-9T (the “take a picture it will last longer” droid).

Movie and character references. The suitcase scanner looks inside baggage to illuminate what’s inside, and there’s often a joke here, like C3PO’s head, Wall-E’s eyes, the Aladdin lamp, Mouse ears, Chip and Dale, or the Incredibles outfit.

K-DROID. In the original Star Tours queue in Anaheim, a radio sat opposite G2-9T on the first upramp, displaying “107.9” (it was different in Orlando) with the announcer calling it K-DROID every few moments. In the new queue, wait until you are on the second platform, looking down at G2-9T, and you’ll spot a panel labeled KDRD 107.9.

Alison Janney. Ali San San’s name can be traced to its voice: actress Alison Janney (the ‘sound’ of the name is similar).

Inappropriate flash photo. In the 1987 safety video, a little boy turns around to the row behind him and takes a flash photo of Chewbacca, causing Chewie growl in protest while a nearby Calamarian threatens the boy with a backhand. In the 2011 safety video, a little girl does the same move, and again Chewie reacts while the Calamarian threatens a backhand (a little more subtly than in 1987).

Crazy haired safety spiel lady. The lady with the wacky hairdo in the old ride's preshow is still around, as party of the group getting onto the speeder in the safety video, though she doesn't have a speaking role.

WDI Street Address. We’re on Flight 1401. Sound familiar? WDI is located at 1401 Flower St in Glendale, CA.

PeopleMover. Vehicles at the start of the movie moving luggage are shaped like Orlando’s PeopleMover TTA cars, but they are colored white (with a blue stripe) like Anaheim’s PeopleMover.

Rex’s Death Star run. In the original movie, Rex claims “I’ve always wanted to do this! We’re going in!” In the new movie, C3PO says something similar in Tatooine: “Oh a podrace! I’ve always wanted to do this!”

Rex’s lack of brakes. In the original movie, Rex ends by screaming “Brakes! Brakes! Where are the brakes?!” C3PO says the same exact phrase at the end of the Naboo sequence.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Leia’s famous phrase is here relayed as “Help me, Star Tours. You’re my only hope.”

What message? C3PO’s famous phrase is also repeated here (and Threepio is still talking to R2D2!)

Mission Space homage. The finale of the Mission Space ride at Epcot includes a moment where the spaceship teeters at the edge of an icy canyon, and our host Gary Sinise says “Don’t move a muscle.” The exact phrase is used when our Starspeeder-1000 teeters on the edge of an icy canyon on Hoth.

FUEL Truck. We almost crashed into a truck labeled FUEL (all caps) in the original movie, and a similarly-named truck can be seen at the end of the Coruscant sequence.

Hidden Mickeys. Look to the back wall in the last scene of Coruscant for a whole row of Hidden Mickeys.

What’s missing? Well, there used to be a Hidden Kermit in the queue—it was a 3 foot robot shaped like the famous frog. I couldn’t find hide nor hair of him in the new queue… I hope he’s preserved somewhere!

Few comments... First, TK421 is referenced again by our luggage droid. Second, a little boy takes the flash photo, not a girl. Third, in the Hoth scene when teetering over the cliff, 3-PO says "Nobody move... I mean everybody move, lean back!" Still pretty similar to Mission: SPACE, but different lines.

There's a lot more than that that I know and even more that I don't know, but I cannot reveal any additional info... You just have to ride it and see for yourself...

KevinYee

Original Poster
Good tip; I shall search for the second mention of TK421. I will double-check the boy/girl confusion - I might have messed that up. As for the mission:space quote, I'm a little stymied. I was pretty sure it was the same phrase. Then again, I took my notes hours later, not on the spot, so I've probably got that wrong.

Figment82

Is there lack of A/C... or is it just not working properly at the moment?

I would assume every attraction in WDW has adequate A/C - it's Florida!!!

My dad had ridden it on Saturday, and joined us for another ride last night. He said there was definitely something wrong with the A/C as he didn't feel sick after his ride on Saturday. Every now and then you could feel a slight cool breeze, but it made me think of Body Wars. I'm sure it was just a fluke, but I think it will be a while before I ride again, and forget how badly I felt afterwards. I much prefer free-falling on Tower of Terror to motion simulators.

NewfieFan

My dad had ridden it on Saturday, and joined us for another ride last night. He said there was definitely something wrong with the A/C as he didn't feel sick after his ride on Saturday. Every now and then you could feel a slight cool breeze, but it made me think of Body Wars. I'm sure it was just a fluke, but I think it will be a while before I ride again, and forget how badly I felt afterwards. I much prefer free-falling on Tower of Terror to motion simulators.

Well, that's too bad!

RSoxNo1

This is interesting because one of the things I heard was to curb the motion sickness they would be cranking the AC.

Figment82

This is interesting because one of the things I heard was to curb the motion sickness they would be cranking the AC.

I'm sure it was just an isolated incident. At first I thought it was just me getting "too old" to handle that type of attraction, but when everyone in my party starting complaining about it, I knew it had to be the cabin temperature. Especially when my dad made a point of saying how smooth and nice it was when he rode on Saturday - and I know he'd never ride it again had he felt ill the first time around! :) If I had been thinking, I would've mentioned something to the CMs at the end but I think we were all just in a daze and wanted some fresh air!

One of the other things in the luggage scanner is Madame Leota....also the luggage scanning droid sings a loungy version of Star Tours, like Bill Murray did for Star Wars back on Saturday Night Live....

KevinYee

Original Poster
One of the other things in the luggage scanner is Madame Leota....also the luggage scanning droid sings a loungy version of Star Tours, like Bill Murray did for Star Wars back on Saturday Night Live....

Added to post #1 - thank you! (I need to hear the lounge song to understand)

Captain Hank

Just back from riding it again. On Kashyyyk, just after the Wookiee slides off of the windshield a scout trooper slams into a tree. He screams a Wilhelm Scream. :)

mewhunter67

Kevin, it's great to see others who notice these small references and plugs in all these rides! (I bet there are others, but I haven't really gone around to check)

I guess I could just search, but I'm guessing you ahve a list of everything you've noticed before (and not just on STII)?

JafarMaleficent

On the shadow thingy in the queue when you see characters walking by you see a hidden mickey. R2 walks by and puts up his radar discs on both sides and turns then goes off screen. Caught it yesterday on my 3rd time through. I kept missing it. A cast member I was with pointed it out to me.

ms7479a

At one point the luggage-checking droid says "And you just think about that" in a way that sounds just like the line that Ellen says in the preshow of Universe of Energy when scolding people that they are late, "And you just think about that next time."

KevinYee

Original Poster
^ Thanks for the R2 and Ellen references. Post #1 updated.

As for lists of other secrets, that is the topic of my Hidden History of WDW book :)

KevinYee

Original Poster
I was listening fo rthe Sacul page all six times but didn't hear it. It's really there? That would be fantastic!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom