Star Tours II in 3D for 2011 CONFIRMED

PhantomX

I don't know what the heck is in the far left section but the set after that is clearly either Endor or Kashyyykk (although I dont recognize that alien spcecies) the center set is obviously naboo (you can see the waterfalls from outside theed palac and that area reactor area where Darth Maul fought qui-gon and the right area is obviously Death Star II which would be sweet as hell

Edit: On second glance the section next to Death Star II is probably Courscant not the interior of theed palace

glee

Thats cool! I hope its good. Personally find the line for star wars is more exciting then the ride at the moment :lol: :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks for the info Steve, and that's awesome about the hard ticket event, but it seems a bit pricey for only 5 hours...:shrug:
You are talking about a fan base that has no issue paying $1300 for a poster that was given away for free back in the early 80's. $75 is nothing.

Exprcoofto

I know this was published in Feb 2009 before Star Tours II was officially announced, but Disney and More Blog posted some rumors of effects/additions that'd be added for the update. I'm curious if you guys think some of them will actually happen.

Then we learned more about the future new special effects:

- Each Star Speeder simulator would be equipped with five 3D retro-projectors screen using the Disney Digital 3D technology. A big screen in the front and two smaller one on each side. The screens on the side are supposed to give complementary views.

- Another source said that imagineers may use lenticular screen for the smaller "3D" scren on the left and the right of the main screen in the front.

- The simulator would have also an additional hydraulic system with the ability to lift up part of the Star Speeder's roof during some sequence or special effects of the movie.

- 3D polarized glasses would have a Star Tours theme.

- The front projection system would be changed to allow the perception of landscapes in 3D. It should be a a double projection of high-definition film on a hemispherical screen - like the one you have in Omnimax theatres. Right now, the projector is inside the simulator, but in this case it may be located outside to cover the whole screen surface, and more, like when the roof will be lift.

- A DTS audio system will equipped each shuttle for a better realism of sound effects, and others loud speakers could be put outside the simulator for other sounds effects.

- Finally three Audio-Animatronics would be part of ride. Two of them would have a "walking" simulation although you will see only the upper part of their "body", and the third one won't walk but would move thanks to its computer program or eventually could have a "live" animation for a better interaction with the guests inside the Star Speeder.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2009/02/who-have-some-news-of-star-tours-2.html

TP2000

The dates for the Disneyland rehab of Star Tours are now out there on Disneyland boards from normally reliable sources.

The Disneyland rehab dates are reportedly July 26, 2010- May 9, 2011.

That's a solid 9 and a half months closure. I'm sure the WDW version will have similar dates and length. This should provide them plenty of time to really remake the attraction and queue overall at both Disneyland and WDW! :sohappy:

Little Leota

The Cm on ST said it was going down in Aug and reopening in May. I love that ride, but had a horrible experience on it last week. My hubby and I were riding in vehicle #2 when we felt a bad jerk and the ride quit moving. The Andriod was still driving and we had no video, but we still had audio. The ride ended and the seatbelt came unlocked, but the doors to the ride vehicle never opened. We sat there for a few minutes before the ride told us to put our seat belts back on as if the ride was going to restart. There was people freaking out about feeling claustrophobic and needing to get out of there, and we have not heard anything from a cm at all. My hubs opened the emergency exit latch on the ride vehicle door to let everyone out, but we were still stuck at the automatic doors and couldn't open them. This little girl was freaking out and banging on the door yelling help us help us, but still nothing from a cm. We waited about 15 minutes for a manager to come unlock the door to let us out. Up until then, no one even came over the intercom on the ride and acknowledged us. They cleared the queue line in front of all the simulator doors before they let us out. If there had been a fire, we would have been trapped. The only way out was a ladder near an exit door one story down, and the only way to get it would be for someone to jump down to it. We were really surprised at the response time of the Disney CM's and how they handled the situation.

sponono88

The dates have been officially confirmed by Disney - via the Disney Parks Blog:

Scheduled to open in 2011, the power of the Force and the magic of Disney once again will combine to create an all-new Star Tours. When it reopens, it’ll feature a new 3-D, immersive experience that’ll take guests to familiar places in the Star Wars galaxy. To prepare for the reopening, Star Tours will close at Disneyland Park on July 27 and at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on September 8.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ning-at-disneyland-walt-disney-world-resorts/

gmajew

I am so glad this ride is getting updated with the current tech that is out there it can be such a great ride again!!

With rides this I personally feel they should be refurb every ten years at a min to keep up with technology and changes. I am mean the ride now my kids have video games with better effects.

LoriMistress

The Cm on ST said it was going down in Aug and reopening in May. I love that ride, but had a horrible experience on it last week. My hubby and I were riding in vehicle #2 when we felt a bad jerk and the ride quit moving. The Andriod was still driving and we had no video, but we still had audio. The ride ended and the seatbelt came unlocked, but the doors to the ride vehicle never opened. We sat there for a few minutes before the ride told us to put our seat belts back on as if the ride was going to restart. There was people freaking out about feeling claustrophobic and needing to get out of there, and we have not heard anything from a cm at all. My hubs opened the emergency exit latch on the ride vehicle door to let everyone out, but we were still stuck at the automatic doors and couldn't open them. This little girl was freaking out and banging on the door yelling help us help us, but still nothing from a cm. We waited about 15 minutes for a manager to come unlock the door to let us out. Up until then, no one even came over the intercom on the ride and acknowledged us. They cleared the queue line in front of all the simulator doors before they let us out. If there had been a fire, we would have been trapped. The only way out was a ladder near an exit door one story down, and the only way to get it would be for someone to jump down to it. We were really surprised at the response time of the Disney CM's and how they handled the situation.

That's crazy! Was this at DHS or DLR?

TP2000

The OC Register has an article on the early Disneyland closure date today. Sounds like it's an almost year long closure!

"Star Tours will close July 27 for a nearly year-long project. Originally, work was set to begin in October.

In September, Jay Rasulo, then Walt Disney Parks and Resorts chairman, announced the major overhaul, including the October shutdown date, to the 1987 ride during the D23 Expo.

But Disney officials have since decided that they need more time to upgrade the “Star Wars”-based ride that simulates a journey through space. The ride will reopen in 2011.

“They want to take all the appropriate time to make it a really spectacular attraction,” said John McClintock, a Disneyland Resort spokesman..."

Full article is here
http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com...tar-tours-set-to-close-early-for-rehab/44429/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom