Star Tours II in 3D for 2011 CONFIRMED

LoriMistress

Here's a sneek peak at the Celebration-Exclusive, Star Tours 2: Starspeeder 1000 toy vehicle repaint!

picture.php

Be sure to see more about it in my Update, a little later...
That's sweet. I was reading on FB on ITM that there will be a pod race. :rolleyes:

RSoxNo1

Over at the Disney Blog, there's a Disneyland update that includes Star Tours 2.0 information. Of course the same changes are going to take place at Disney's Hollywood Studios:

The “Adventures Continue” for the Jedi in All of Us - Kathy Rogers, Senior Show Producer at Walt Disney Imagineering, gave a huge update on the reimagining of Star Tours today. The new Star Tours 3-D attraction will debut in 2011 in Disneyland park and will bridge that “long time ago” between the two Star Wars trilogies. Kathy revealed today that the attraction will take voyagers – for the first time – to Coruscant and other destinations in the Stars Wars galaxy. Star Tours fans: please note that the attraction in Disneyland park goes on hiatus beginning July 27 to prepare for the all-new journeys, and the last departure to Endor will take place June 26. You’ll also be able to enjoy this exciting adventure in Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. See below for an image that was shared for the first time today that shows a StarSpeeder zipping through Coruscant.

wnd123016LARGE.jpg

Maerj

That's an old video.

Yes, there will be a Pod Racing segment.
No, it will not be all Pod Racing.

Yes, there are to be multiple story lines and trips to different worlds.
No, it will not all be Pod Racing.

Only the picture of the Star Tours vehicle above Coruscant is new, which also shows that the ride will not be all Pod Racing.

Maybe a ride here and there will include the Pod Race sequence. Hopefully that doesn't ruin anyone's day or childhood. If so, better off skipping Star Tours 2 and go to Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey instead.

Sounds Dangerous will not include Pod Racing.

It takes place between Episodes 3 and 4, huh? Sounds cool as there is plenty of time there. That's when the live action series was to be taking place. That sries is currently on hold due to budget concerns. Perhaps if Disney pulls this new version of the ride off well they might possibly co-produce the TV series to go along with it? Would make sense.

sponono88

from the new D23 Article, http://d23.disney.go.com/articles/061410_NF_BN_DisneylandHorizons.html

Star Tours: The Adventures Continue

While it may not open until the fall of 2011, a few exciting elements of the reimagined Star Tours were announced.

The enhanced attraction — featuring multiple destinations — takes place in between the two Star Wars trilogies, which will enable Imagineers to utilize characters from both sets of films..

While the planet of Tatooine was unveiled as a destination at last year's D23 Expo, Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Show Producer Kathy Rogers announced that the bustling urban environment of Coruscant will be another.

There will be several points during each journey where the audience will be able to change where the story is going. "There's an incredible number of different variations," explains Al Weiss, president, Worldwide Operations, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. "You will rarely, if ever, see the same show twice.

Festivus

The audience will be able to change where the story is going? That's the first I have heard that. Anyone know how this will be done? Maybe an "Applause-O-Meter"?

MarkTwain

The audience will be able to change where the story is going? That's the first I have heard that. Anyone know how this will be done? Maybe an "Applause-O-Meter"?

My bet's on Spaceship Earth-style touchscreens embedded in each armrest, with a list of possible planets to pick from. Maybe they'll even pretend that guests are copilots...!

cheezbat

the more I read about the Star Tours II redo, the more interested I am in it. The original attraction was a classic, yet such an outdated attraction. So many touches of the 80's in that ride. Now, it will finally have a 'timeless' true, Star Wars feel to it.

And I absolutely love the idea of the multiple selections of where the ride is going. Great idea!

Festivus

My bet's on Spaceship Earth-style touchscreens embedded in each armrest, with a list of possible planets to pick from. Maybe they'll even pretend that guests are copilots...!

I kind of figured it might be something like that. But how will it select destinations midway through the ride without it pausing for people to make selections? Won't that kind of kill the momentum/thrill of the ride? Also, does majority rule? I suppose so. I kind wish the selection of the destinations and scenarios would just be truly random to make it seem more spontaneous.

MarkTwain

I kind of figured it might be something like that. But how will it select destinations midway through the ride without it pausing for people to make selections? Won't that kind of kill the momentum/thrill of the ride? Also, does majority rule? I suppose so. I kind wish the selection of the destinations and scenarios would just be truly random to make it seem more spontaneous.

You may be right, but this is the new interactivity-obsessed WDI we're dealing with, so I wouldn't put it past them.

T-1MILLION

My guess for a design in choosing your own adventure goal of the experience would be to have some options on where you want to tour before boarding. In new panels along the waiting bars where everyone can get a little touch screen sort of like making your touring plans right there. Then it will compile that info as you load into the cabin.

Paul Ruebans better be back. P-E-E Wee Herman is in again! (filter censors P-E-E? Really?)

MonorailGuy11

If I remember correctly the old Mission to Mars was random, perhaps this will be too.

My other thought was a Horizons type setup, smaller cars, each person selecting their own ending.

In the end its probably going to be something none of us have thought of, I feel like this is going to be a great "new" attraction no matter what.

RSoxNo1

From the Blue Sky Disney Blog:

The Mouse has (finally) officially listed the "Star Tours 2" opening dates at Disneyland/Disney's Hollywood Studios...

While it's been known for a while when the closing of Star Tours would be here in California/Florida, it wasn't known exactly when the attractions would reopen. Finally, information about these battle plans have been put out there by the Empire.

Disneyland Park at the Disneyland Resort: Star Tours Closing Date July 27 - Reopening Date May 9.

Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World: Star Tours Closing Date Sept 8 - Reopening Date May 16.

I'll also be sure to update the Rumors thread with this info

ddbowdoin

yes! I am a little sad though.... Star Tours in my 5 trips (1993, 1998, 1999 (x2), 2010) has never changed and I love the old school feel of the ride! Oh well, times are a changing I guess. Guess that means I just have to make another trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom