Staggs resigns

jt04

Well, Time Warner is hanging out there and is rumored to be a possible takeover target. Supposedly, Fox was looking at them, but it fell through. There's been smoke about Disney being interested in the past. HBO would be certainly desirable, as would many of the Turner networks.

I can't see congress letting this happen. If we end up with one media conglomerate (beyond what we already have) you should all panic.

Disney and Uni are already oddly non-adversarial.

Disney is big enough thank you.

matt9112

The claim isn't that Iger is a technological or creative genius, but an M&A genius. Buying an iPhone isn't the same as buying APPLE. There are legitimate gripes with Iger but your analogy is awful.

I think it's a case of more credit than is due. That is like saying president Obama was responsible for taking down bin Laden.
Conflicted about this news. As a stockholder I have been very pleased with Iger's performance and if he supported Staggs I liked the idea of an orderly transition which is good for business. After all, this is a business and you must make money to build all those new attractions. However, as a fan of the parks I have been less than satisfied with the quality of some of the new attractions and have a sense that they were less than the level of quality I expect from Disney. I hope the new CEO will be more attentive to the Parks (especially Disney World) and spending what it takes to deliver the best.

This selection will be an interesting process which I will be watching closely and boy do I hope they get it right.

Stock buybacks have artificially kept your shares high. It's not like Disney shares keep going up because they make good decisions 24/7

toolsnspools

So I'm hearing that Staggs was a beancounter, and more of the same leadership. Don't know the man (or any of them for that matter) personally, so I have to go by what I do know. The Times story was put out, and then edited multiple times. That tells me that Iger was pulling strings to make it sound the way HE wanted it to sound. It also means he didn't have time to edit it in advance, like he did less than a year ago with this piece - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/business/media/thomas-staggs-disneys-heir-apparently.html?_r=0, so their story is no more than a Disney press release, approved by Iger himself.

So where did Staggs have influence... Pixar, Marvel, Hyperion Wharf to Disney Springs, swapped out Meet-n-greets in NFL for the mine train coaster, Avatar, and SDL. In all those cases, he moved the needle more to the creative side. SDL looks like it will creatively be a stunning park when complete. The cost overruns there are well known. That doesn't sound like a beancounter to me. He's the only Sr exec at Disney that I've heard attended the parks with his family. That matters...

My guess is this was Staggs doing and not Disney's... Lets see where he lands in 30-60 days, and we'll know for sure.

jt04

So I'm hearing that Staggs was a beancounter, and more of the same leadership. Don't know the man (or any of them for that matter) personally, so I have to go by what I do know. The Times story was put out, and then edited multiple times. That tells me that Iger was pulling strings to make it sound the way HE wanted it to sound. It also means he didn't have time to edit it in advance, like he did less than a year ago with this piece - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/business/media/thomas-staggs-disneys-heir-apparently.html?_r=0, so their story is no more than a Disney press release, approved by Iger himself.

So where did Staggs have influence... Pixar, Marvel, Hyperion Wharf to Disney Springs, swapped out Meet-n-greets in NFL for the mine train coaster, Avatar, and SDL. In all those cases, he moved the needle more to the creative side. SDL looks like it will creatively be a stunning park when complete. The cost overruns there are well known. That doesn't sound like a beancounter to me. He's the only Sr exec at Disney that I've heard attended the parks with his family. That matters...

My guess is this was Staggs doing and not Disney's... Lets see where he lands in 30-60 days, and we'll know for sure.

I definitely think he is well intentioned and did a lot of good. He didn't seem to have Disney brand instincts though. As in Walt Disney. Someone like Lasseter does. I think people like Lucas and Cameron do.

Life goes on. He will do fine.

I have no more to say about it.

lazyboy97o

I agree with the exception of Pixar. Those movies were distributed, financed, greenlit and owned by Disney even before the studio itself was bought out formally. Unlike Lucasfilm and Marvel, there is no Pixar as the major animation giant that we know today without Disney.
Disney didn't create the successful creative culture at Pixar and it was absolutely clear that whoever was the next CEO absolutely had to get Pixar back.

I'm not a Disney executive appologist, but I think you're giving Staggs too little credit. As you pointed out, most of the land would've been a giant meet and greet without Staggs. In the end, you have to give Staggs credit for commissioning changes that improved the project greatly.
Changes were coming to the land regardless of Staggs as the operational realities of the plan were becoming clear.

asianway

Question:

If Staggs was in charge of P&R when Bob Weis replaced Bruce Vaughn... how exactly does Staggs' departure affect Weis' future, if TWDC threw Staggs under the bus because of bad decision making such as... promoting Bob Weis?

Given the problems that SDL has endured for what seems forever, at least some of those problems need to be laid at Weis' feet. And just as we're all discussing the mad dash to complete the park on time -- and the distinct possibility that it wasn't going to happen -- Weis gets Vaughn's job. :confused:

Is it possible that Staggs promoted Weis to protect Bob's Disney derriere because Staggs knew what was coming down the pixie dust pipeline? Firing Bob now would look really vindictive and petty on TWDC's part. He should be good, at least for the time being. But it does make me wonder...

Good heavens! It's like the "21st Century Burbank Edition" of Downton Abbey. :D
Chapek fired Vaughn

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Don't forget that DIS is sitting on a huge amount of cash and repurchased stock. The funding is there. Just throwing it out there.

Actually DIS has almost NO Cash on hand as of their last 10K they have about a month's worth of Cash on hand, They have a huge amount of treasury shares but the value of that could vanish overnight

Something tells me that Staggs got out of Dodge right before a huge shoe drops.

RSoxNo1

I don't agree with WDW1974 on many things, but this is one area where I do believe he is correct. ESPN is not a "problem" and certainly not a "major problem". Is Wall Street "concerned" about ESPN? Absolutely -- because that network and division of Disney has been making obscene profits year after year and cord cutting is, well, cutting into those profits. But that simply means that instead of making massive profits, ESPN will only be making big profits in the foreseeable future. ESPN's "problems" are Wall St constructs of it not doing "good enough" not that it won't be profitable or a solid, viable division in the future.

The next CEO will have to deal with the fact that ESPN won't be the golden goose it has been and functioning as a limitless ATM, so they'll have to find somewhere else to turn to in order to generate profits and make the books look good.
ESPN has lost credibility with many viewers due to botched coverage of three major NFL stories: Ray Rice, Concussions and Deflategate. In each of those stories they showed a blind allegiance to the NFL. That cannot be dismissed.

RSoxNo1

You should probably start here...
MLCourse1.JPG

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So since it is tax season and I catch up on this board after I get off work at 8PM, let me just say...wow.

During the debacle that was MM+, I considered Staggs my nemesis as he peppered the media with interviews about the fabulousness of magic bands and the like. Buh Bye.

Meanwhile @DGracey brings up a huge point that has always bothered me as both a guest and a stockholder. Why, after the messes in the past (see Disney War) is the Chairman of the Board also the CEO? This is not a closely held company any longer. This is not a domestic company. This is a multinational, mega company with fingers in a lot of pies. Retirement accounts depend on the success of this company. Fans depend on the success of this company. Robert Iger reporting to a board led by Robert Iger bothers me every time I get my proxy statements. (so does Cap-ex as a percentage of total revenue but that's another topic).

Here's hoping for new, creative ideas and an outside candidate. I'm watching closely. Carry on.

All I can say is DUMP THE STOCK NOW! I did it a while ago.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
ESPN has lost credibility with many viewers due to botched coverage of three major NFL stories: Ray Rice, Concussions and Deflategate. In each of those stories they showed a blind allegiance to the NFL. That cannot be dismissed.

Not to mention that multiple surveys have shown that in a unbundled cable environment ESPN comes out behind the Weather Channel in channels that viewers would select and does not even make the top ten in most of the surveys, Plus people who WOULD pay for it want to pay no more than 8 bucks monthly where estimates show that 20 bucks would be needed to keep ESPN revenue neutral.

Well that's what happens when you choose to be the NFL's media arm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom